Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 991.2 Carrera T 7MT! Advice on Deal/Spec & Ownership?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 10:17 PM
991.7mt
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Buying a 991.2 Carrera T 7MT! Advice on Deal/Spec & Ownership?

Hey Everyone,

I’m finalizing a deal for a 2018 Carrera T 7spd Manual with 23k miles.

**Update**

The price is currently $100k.
Has a few rock chips in the front bumper and one divot on the passenger side door frame that just happened. So he said $100k is his low.

The car is CPO until April 2024.

I came from a 991.1 Base Carrera 7spd Manual with regular PASM, Sport Chrono, Torque Vector and Power Steering Plus.

Most recently I sold my 2021 M2 Competition 6spd Manual with Ohlin’s suspension and a full Remus/Active Autowerke exhaust.

I’m looking for opinions of the spec and pricing of the deal for this Carrera T.
Also anyone that owns or have owned a T, if you are able to give me any insight into what it’s like to own one. Maybe comparing them to a .1 S/Base or .2 Base.

Thank you!

Last edited by 991.7mt; 07-24-2022 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:18 PM
CayenneBlack
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

The T definitely feels different from a base .2 in a good way. The manual shifter on the base felt really tall, and the gearing ratios on the T makes a huge difference. It makes it sportier.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:21 PM
991.7mt
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CayenneBlack
The T definitely feels different from a base .2 in a good way. The manual shifter on the base felt really tall, and the gearing ratios on the T makes a huge difference. It makes it sportier.
Ya the gearing is probably great.
These are all the differences I found between the Base and T.
Am I missing anything?

Old 07-19-2022, 12:37 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,216 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.7mt
Am I missing anything?
Keep in mind those often quoted weight reduction numbers are for a car fully spec’d to be lightweight, i.e., carbon buckets, carbon brakes, no sunroof, etc.. Also, some of those extras, like the valved sports exhaust, are heavier than standard exhaust. So a car with the full leather interior and 18-way seats (which are 60 lbs or so heavier than base seats, let alone LWBS) will weigh more than some Carrera S. Personally, on one hand I feel that they’re all (including every single trim, base, S, GTS, etc.) all amazing cars to drive and you will enjoy them all, but on the other hand, part of what makes the T special is the chance to have a more focused car with special equipment that makes it lighter and more pure and engaging of an experience. Every step taken away from that purpose of focus, at least to me, defeats the entire point of the T and just turns it into a cosmetic package with a base motor. Which is still a great car to own and drive, so I can’t really fault anyone who goes that way. It’s just not what I wanted when I was looking for a T.
The following 2 users liked this post by MingusDew:
Jeahbladejeah (07-19-2022), Zylinderkopfdichtung (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 12:51 AM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 569 Likes on 196 Posts

What you’ve got there is a great car.

What MingusDew said above aligns with what I wanted in a T, but others differ for different yet valid reasons. I seem to recall that one of Porsche’s executives said their ideal 911 is a T with a sunroof. You’d have a blast with this car.
Old 07-19-2022, 01:17 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,216 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Zylinderkopfdichtung
What you’ve got there is a great car.

What MingusDew said above aligns with what I wanted in a T, but others differ for different yet valid reasons. I seem to recall that one of Porsche’s executives said their ideal 911 is a T with a sunroof. You’d have a blast with this car.
I seem to remember Andreas Preuninger (head of the GT program) mentioning in an interview, maybe with Chris Harris, that his daily driver was a Carrera T.
The following users liked this post:
Zylinderkopfdichtung (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 02:30 AM
Jespinal
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Is there anyway to get the gearing from the T onto a base?
Old 07-19-2022, 05:35 AM
MannyLon
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts

Am I missing anything?

Not sure it has the GT4 shifter, I have both and they are very different. The T also offers RWS option. I went for the lightest optioned car I could find.
The light weight glass adds to the experience IMO as you can hear more of the engine noise
Also, the rear seat delete should surely amount to more weight savings than quoted by Porsche?
Old 07-19-2022, 10:51 AM
Alc
Racer

Received 535 Likes on 218 Posts

That is a well spec’d T! I’m not a sunroof fan but others love them which would be my only hesitation but that is purely my preference. To RAS or not to RAS is again a bit subjective. Mine has RAS which I love because it makes the car feel smaller except every once in a while it feels unnatural (only at the limit).

Get the car, join the T Army, and most importantly drive the hell out of it! Check out the T Owners Club forum and most of your questions will be answered either in the forum or T owners will respond readily. Heck I just learned something new about the T yesterday in a video that the MT neutral position spring was different. Is it true 🤷 ?

it’s interesting because Porsche says there’s tons of differences but there is no comprehensive list other than the one listed above. The drive is just different, more about enjoying the spirited drive versus being in a plush Grand touring vehicle.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1060...ners-club.html
ducktails (07-19-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 07:04 PM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 93 Posts

Good thread on T builds, and preferences.
I agree with almost all of the comments, and comparisons.
For me, my must haves were 7MT, RAS, no sunroof, T interior, 14 or 18 way seats (based on age&#128556, and NOT black.
I found my perfect build at Fields Porsche in Jacksonville, and closed the deal over the phone on the first call.
One area I believe is mis-stated above is that the gear ratios are shorter than a base. I do agree that the shift lever is shorter, and that final drive is shorter, but AFAIK, the ratios are identical to the base.
In any case, go for it, I love mine!
Old 07-20-2022, 07:11 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 129 Posts

Am I missing anything?

Your list is missing:

Limited Slip Differential
Reduced Sound Deadening
​​​​​​​
Old 07-20-2022, 10:43 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 290 Posts

Just for another data point....

I ordered mine as follows:
BASE 911 Carrera T
Exterior: GT Silver Metallic
Interior: Standard Interior in Black/Guards Red with Sport-T
090 Carrera T Interior Package
509 Fire Extinguisher
603 Bi-Xenon Headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System
712 Deletion of "T" Decal on Doors
EKL GT Sport Steering Wheel and Manual Gear Lever in Alcantara®
P11 Full bucket seats
QR5 Sport Chrono Package
U2 GT Silver Metallic WI Standard Interior in Black/Guards Red with Sport-Tex Seat Centers i.c.w.
Carrera T Interior Package
XGN Sport Chrono Stopwatch Dial in Guards Red
XRD 20" Carrera Sport Wheels
XXP Tinted Taillights

I regretted not getting PCCB's so I added Brembo GT BBK which has been great on and off the track. I also upgraded the stereo thanks to Musicar NW. Much better sound now. I also added the DSC controller and a tune. I did switch out the seat inserts with some Pepita from P1 designs. I dont plan on changing anything else and I plan on keeping it for a long time. It makes me smile each time I drive it and I have put over 30k miles on it so far. Good luck with your T!
The following 2 users liked this post by spyderbret:
911T4ME (07-21-2022), GT3FZS (07-22-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 11:20 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 494 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You'll love that T. I answered you on FB about getting the DME report and the price not being too insane.

Be sure to get a pre purchase inspection by a qualified mechanic. With 12k in miles since it was certified CPO, a lot can change. Just added peace of mind.

Last edited by Tier1Terrier; 07-21-2022 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-21-2022, 06:02 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

I think you are getting a good deal in todays market. They could have easily asked msrp (and probably gotten it). Sounds like a solid build!
Old 07-21-2022, 08:57 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MannyLon
Not sure it has the GT4 shifter, I have both and they are very different. The T also offers RWS option. I went for the lightest optioned car I could find.
The light weight glass adds to the experience IMO as you can hear more of the engine noise
Also, the rear seat delete should surely amount to more weight savings than quoted by Porsche?
It's the same part number for the shifter mechanism for T / GT4 / GT3. I've heard it does feel different on a 6 speed though.
polobai (07-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Buying a 991.2 Carrera T 7MT! Advice on Deal/Spec & Ownership?