Air Conditioner Quit - Fixed !

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 12:36 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,323 Posts

Originally Posted by McLaren997
Just a manual spin of the blower fan which can be accessed under the cover where you would replace the cabin air filter.
Good to hear!
Old 06-30-2022, 09:10 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

Just a manual spin of the blower fan which can be accessed under the cover where you would replace the cabin air filter.
Hopefully it will stay fixed as mine has, touch wood.

When it happened to me while in FLA, the SA at Porsche of Melbourne that I spoke with said it was likely to be a sign that the fan motor was on the way out. I was looking at a ~1800 mile ride home through the remnants of a hurricane, and the dealer was not sure they could get a replacement for me before I needed to head home, so I threw the dice that it would keep working. That was October 2020. I did report the issue to my local dealer on my next service visit, just to get it recorded while still CPO. Of course, No Problem Found, and they were not going to preemptively replace the motor.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:07 AM
McLaren997
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BGLeduc
Hopefully it will stay fixed as mine has, touch wood.

When it happened to me while in FLA, the SA at Porsche of Melbourne that I spoke with said it was likely to be a sign that the fan motor was on the way out. I was looking at a ~1800 mile ride home through the remnants of a hurricane, and the dealer was not sure they could get a replacement for me before I needed to head home, so I threw the dice that it would keep working. That was October 2020. I did report the issue to my local dealer on my next service visit, just to get it recorded while still CPO. Of course, No Problem Found, and they were not going to preemptively replace the motor.
I've been wondering what caused the problem. The only thing that happened that was unusual was I drove through a very bad rain storm just prior to the failure. By any chance did you experience that before yours failed ?
Old 06-30-2022, 10:31 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

I've been wondering what caused the problem. The only thing that happened that was unusual was I drove through a very bad rain storm just prior to the failure. By any chance did you experience that before yours failed ?
I did go through some significant rain....it was FLA after all. :-)

To the best of my recollection though, it was not the day before I noticed the problem. The car sat in the resort parking garage for a day or so after the rain storm before I went out again and immediately noticed the issue. There was speculation that there was debris of some sort jamming the fan but I never bought that explanation.

Old 06-30-2022, 03:42 PM
McLaren997
Racer

My exact sequence was (1) drove thru huge rain Friday night, (2) drove about 80 miles Saturday everything normal, (3) car sat parked outside until Tuesday afternoon when I had the problem. That sounds exactly like what you did just before you had this. It was very humid here ... it's FLA after all. :-) How did you figure out how to fix it ? Thanks again you saved me from a high traffic frustrating trip to Porsche of Orlando.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:57 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

My exact sequence was (1) drove thru huge rain Friday night, (2) drove about 80 miles Saturday everything normal, (3) car sat parked outside until Tuesday afternoon when I had the problem. That sounds exactly like what you did just before you had this. It was very humid here ... it's FLA after all. :-) How did you figure out how to fix it ? Thanks again you saved me from a high traffic frustrating trip to Porsche of Orlando.
No clairvoyance on my part....I just searched here and via Google and found the solution.

Actually, when it first happened I did the obvious thing...look at the fuses, see if anything is blown. No problem found there so I started searching online and found several threads here and also the YT video. I really had my doubts that it would be something that simple, but once in a while, things DO go one's way. :-)

The beauty of owning a car like a Porsche with a rabid fan base and a dedicated web forum is that whatever problem you have, odds are someone else had it before and posted about it.

Last edited by BGLeduc; 06-30-2022 at 03:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jfischet (07-02-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 04:20 PM
McLaren997
Racer

At first I thought of a fuse but when I saw it was a 40 amp fuse I was pretty sure that wasn't the problem, it would take a lot of juice to blow that ! But thanks to Asellus I did learn a lot about the fuse box and what a blown fuse looks like. I bought a membership to Rennlist today since the least I can do is support this sight which is an awesome tool for me.
The following 3 users liked this post by McLaren997:
asellus (06-30-2022), BGLeduc (06-30-2022), Noah Fect (07-03-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 06:21 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 133 Posts

At first I thought of a fuse but when I saw it was a 40 amp fuse I was pretty sure that wasn't the problem, it would take a lot of juice to blow that ! But thanks to Asellus I did learn a lot about the fuse box and what a blown fuse looks like. I bought a membership to Rennlist today since the least I can do is support this sight which is an awesome tool for me.
A membership is a VERY small price to pay in comparison to the thousands and thousands i have saved by the brain trust here on Rennlist. Can't say enough about the good people here that are always willing to help.
The following 3 users liked this post by 996scott:
BGLeduc (06-30-2022), Graufuchs (06-30-2022), McLaren997 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 07:26 PM
straka
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 73 Posts

This is a known issue. Porsche policy is that if the car is on warranty the fan will not be replaced by warranty and instructs service department to spin fan cage to restore operation. This will last until another humid condition occurs and condensation on brushes will cause another failure of fan. It's an issue for all 991.1 and 991.2 Porsches. Porsche did not correct this problem. Happened to me with my CPO 2017 991.2. I argued it was a safety issue as I drove 20 miles at night without being able to see clearly because of condensation on my windshield. As a safety issue Porsche agreed to replace my fan motor with the same new one with same faulty design. Four months later I'm still without a new fan and dealership doesn't return my phone calls.
McLaren997 (06-30-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 09:23 AM
McLaren997
Racer

Originally Posted by straka
This is a known issue. Porsche policy is that if the car is on warranty the fan will not be replaced by warranty and instructs service department to spin fan cage to restore operation. This will last until another humid condition occurs and condensation on brushes will cause another failure of fan. It's an issue for all 991.1 and 991.2 Porsches. Porsche did not correct this problem. Happened to me with my CPO 2017 991.2. I argued it was a safety issue as I drove 20 miles at night without being able to see clearly because of condensation on my windshield. As a safety issue Porsche agreed to replace my fan motor with the same new one with same faulty design. Four months later I'm still without a new fan and dealership doesn't return my phone calls.
Why get a new fan motor if it's the same as what you have ? There is always a chance they will screw up your car someway.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:40 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

A3 is bottom right. See manual page 121 and thanks for the help.
Ah, I checked this last time I was in the car, forgot to update.

My owner's manual specifically states "bottom right" for that fuse, as you say. However, the embossed legend on the fuse box lid itself says it's on the bottom left. Not confusing at all, thanks VAG.

I'm wondering if we both have the weird owner's manual, since your page numbers match mine. In a thread last year some time where we were talking about tire pressures I discovered that my owner's manual not only has information on different pages than everyone else, but my comfort/full load tire pressures are different too. Other people with 2017s didn't match, same part number on the manual, all that -- we couldn't figure it out. Figured I just had some beta or misprint manual.
McLaren997 (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 12:34 PM
McLaren997
Racer

Originally Posted by asellus
Ah, I checked this last time I was in the car, forgot to update.

My owner's manual specifically states "bottom right" for that fuse, as you say. However, the embossed legend on the fuse box lid itself says it's on the bottom left. Not confusing at all, thanks VAG.

I'm wondering if we both have the weird owner's manual, since your page numbers match mine. In a thread last year some time where we were talking about tire pressures I discovered that my owner's manual not only has information on different pages than everyone else, but my comfort/full load tire pressures are different too. Other people with 2017s didn't match, same part number on the manual, all that -- we couldn't figure it out. Figured I just had some beta or misprint manual.
My car was built 10/2016, if yours was about the same time maybe we got an early manual with errors.
asellus (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 08:58 PM
straka
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 73 Posts

Why get a new fan motor if it's the same as what you have ? There is always a chance they will screw up your car someway.
I'm hoping the new motor will have less tendency to experience this problem than the 5 year old motor that's in the car. I find it alarming that Porsche knew of this problem and allowed it to continue without updating the fan all the years of 991.1 and 991.2 production. Its a safety issue for those of us that live in humid conditions!

Last edited by straka; 07-01-2022 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:33 PM
McLaren997
Racer

I'm hoping the new motor will have less tendency to experience this problem than the 5 year old motor that's in the car. I find it alarming that Porsche knew of this problem and allowed it to continue without updating the fan all the years of 991.1 and 991.2 production. Its a safety issue for those of us that live in humid conditions!
If you get the new motor keep us informed of any failures, I'm curious if it will make any difference. TIA
Old 07-02-2022, 11:29 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

... I find it alarming that Porsche knew of this problem and allowed it to continue ...
I must have missed this -- do we have evidence of this? Or are we talking anecdotal "my SA said he's seen it once before" ?

Quick Reply: Air Conditioner Quit - Fixed !