Sponsored by:

Rear Spoiler Standardization

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 05:50 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Rear Spoiler Standardization

Hey, all, so as a follow-up to the problems outlined here, I finally got PIWIS working and I as able to pull the following info.

Background: I pulled my spoiler for an exhaust install, and while it was out I swapped in a new brake light harness (a common failure point). I did start the car without the spoiler installed/attached to test the exhaust function (this may be important). When I put everything together, the spoiler wouldn't retract with a normal press of the button. When I long pressed (30-ish seconds) the spoiler retracted, then went up to service position. Now it won't go down at any speed and reverts to service position at 8mph (forward or reverse) whenever I force it down to retraction with another long press (where I have to guess when to let go of the button at full retraction before it goes back up). Plus I get "Spoiler loss" warning at 77mph.

So PIWIS shows these faults -

Now it's possible these codes were tripped when I started the car without the spoiler attached (that's also when I got the license plate light warning). I say that because I can run a "teach" function in PIWIS that shows the correct position of the spoiler as it moves up and down as show here:

My questions are this - Can someone with PIWIS check their rear spoiler values and see if they see "Main Drive Denormalised" is listed as "Yes" or "No"?

Second, when I run this spoiler "standarization" procedure, the number of "Standardisations (learned end positions)" doesn't change (stuck at 8). So maybe I'm not actually learning an end position. Does anyone know a way to do that? I think I exhausted every option in the Rear End Electronics menus.

Does anyone know what that C11007 Calibration fault means?

Last edited by noahabel; 05-25-2022 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:47 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 87 Posts

What are your current codes? Only C11007?
The following users liked this post:
noahabel (05-25-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 07:22 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VII7
What are your current codes? Only C11007?
In regards to the spoiler, the ones shown in the image above:

81030E
81010E

It's possible these tripped when I started the car without the spoiler attached/plugged in (therefore the car didn't see a position or motor speed sensor). I could clear the codes and see if they pop up again, I suppose, but I was holding out that I might need them available if I have to bail on fixing this myself and taking it to a dealership.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:23 PM
VII7
Racer

Clearing the codes is likely a pre condition to be able to perform calibration.
noahabel (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 07:29 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Clearing the codes is likely a pre condition to be able to perform calibration.
Alright, I'll give it a go. I'll capture/print the fault info before clearing. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2022, 09:07 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by noahabel
Alright, I'll give it a go. I'll capture/print the fault info before clearing. Thanks!
Okay, I was able to clear the spoiler sensor codes, but I cannot clear the Calibration code. Any suggestions?
Old 05-24-2022, 09:50 PM
VII7
Racer

Is the teach in still not working?
noahabel (05-25-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 10:01 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Is the teach in still not working?
It cycles the spoiler, but always ends in full service position. If I start with the spoiler down, it just goes up and not back down.

I also tried vehicle handover and no joy.

If I go the the "actuator" section and try the spoiler section there it falls to do anything. When I tried it in engineering mode, I saw this error.

This could be related to the Calibration error code.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:17 PM
VII7
Racer

There must be a calibration procedure different from teach in, unfortunately I do not have PIWIS to check.

​​​​​​Maybe there something like initial startup of control unit? Or a guided calibration in another control unit?
noahabel (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 12:58 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,117 Likes on 665 Posts

It may not help much but mine did something similar (no spoiler error at speed through) when the car was down for a few weeks working on my meth install. I drove the car around for about 30 mins through a few on/off cycles and the spoiler operation went back to normal.
noahabel (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 03:27 AM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

There must be a calibration procedure different from teach in, unfortunately I do not have PIWIS to check.

​​​​​​Maybe there something like initial startup of control unit? Or a guided calibration in another control unit?
I clawed around every reasonably connected module and didn't see anything spoiler-related. Is there a list of additional options in Engineering mode?

Originally Posted by polobai
It may not help much but mine did something similar (no spoiler error at speed through) when the car was down for a few weeks working on my meth install. I drove the car around for about 30 mins through a few on/off cycles and the spoiler operation went back to normal.
By on/off operation do you mean above 77mph then back down? I did several runs up to highway speeds to no avail. Maybe I'd get a different result now that I've cleared the codes?

Honestly, I had to pull the fuse because I felt like a d-bag driving around at city speeds with a fully erect spoiler. And now my car has been stuck in the garage hooked up to a battery charger while I fart around with PIWIS.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:52 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 157 Posts

There is a sensor that reads all the spoiler positions and calibration is automatic. Or at least I believe it to be. On my '17 MY Carrera I had installed the sensor backwards. To cycle thru the spoiler mechanism you need to drive the car @ 7MPH. The spoiler will calibrate by itself. If you have not messed with the sensor and you cleared the codes, back out of the driveway and drive down the street. It should do the trick.

edit: sensor I am referring to.

edit 2: FWIW, wiring for the spoiler changed in 2019 I believe. Two less sensors for the last year .2 carrera lineup. But all still have that sensor.

Last edited by 911.; 05-25-2022 at 12:57 PM.
noahabel (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 01:41 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911.
There is a sensor that reads all the spoiler positions and calibration is automatic. Or at least I believe it to be. On my '17 MY Carrera I had installed the sensor backwards. To cycle thru the spoiler mechanism you need to drive the car @ 7MPH. The spoiler will calibrate by itself. If you have not messed with the sensor and you cleared the codes, back out of the driveway and drive down the street. It should do the trick.

edit: sensor I am referring to.

edit 2: FWIW, wiring for the spoiler changed in 2019 I believe. Two less sensors for the last year .2 carrera lineup. But all still have that sensor.

Yep, that sensor was part of the harness I replaced and I'm (99%) certain I installed it correctly. It's the "hall sensor" that gets a reading off a magnet on the hinge, I believe. Since PIWIS is showing me numbers change in the "Spoiler position" value input when the spoiler moves, I'm at least hopeful that it's working as designed.

I'm going to take it on a drive and see if it self-calibrates now that the codes are cleared. I've read in some other threads where others presented this problem that the spoiler reset itself after driving.

If that doesn't work, I'll pull the spoiler off the car again and swap in the old harness to eliminate it as a failure point. Hopefully I didn't break all the holders/tabs in removal.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:01 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by noahabel
Yep, that sensor was part of the harness I replaced and I'm (99%) certain I installed it correctly. It's the "hall sensor" that gets a reading off a magnet on the hinge, I believe. Since PIWIS is showing me numbers change in the "Spoiler position" value input when the spoiler moves, I'm at least hopeful that it's working as designed.

I'm going to take it on a drive and see if it self-calibrates now that the codes are cleared. I've read in some other threads where others presented this problem that the spoiler reset itself after driving.

If that doesn't work, I'll pull the spoiler off the car again and swap in the old harness to eliminate it as a failure point. Hopefully I didn't break all the holders/tabs in removal.
The left side of that sensor in the picture goes in first, into that cutout for it. If the spoiler is all the way up in service mode still just shine a light on the right arm assembly and you should be able to easily confirm if its in there the right orientation. Fingers crossed!
noahabel (05-25-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 03:50 AM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Well, a short drive (including highway speeds) didn't help. Still got the "no spoiler" warning even though it's stuck straight up. Amazing how much yahoo behavior I get from other drivers with that wing up. Maybe I'm just sensitive about my spoiler's priapism.

I'll pull it off tomorrow and check the harness and sensor. Oy.

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler Standardization