Sponsored by:

991.1 knocking noise video inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 02:20 PM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 79 Posts
Default 991.1 knocking noise video inside

car is currently at Porsche and while I thought it would be a water pump or AC compressor, they seem to think it is a changeover valve.

I have a platinum fidelity warranty which is an exclusionary policy and my service advisor at Porsche seems to be adamant that this would be a where in tear item and not covered.

I had changeover valves covered once under the factory Porsche warranty, and no there is a design flaw which causes these to fail.

As of today the car still is sitting and waiting as they are trying to confirm the issue. They have heard the noise themselves but want to disconnect the changeover valve and see if the issue persists. They have confirmed it is NOT a motor/engine noise.

Any thoughts? I am surprised that they would think this is a changeover valve noise but I I will defer to the experts and Rennlist collective.

Also, this should be covered under the platinum fidelity warranty correct?

Last edited by PatrickBateman; 05-24-2022 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:04 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 536 Likes on 390 Posts

Yes, you should be covered with your Fidelity Platinum plan for a changeover valve, wear items with Fidelity are stuff like tires, batteries, brake pads. Your issue is not listed under the Fidelity Platinum exclusions.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

The following users liked this post:
PatrickBateman (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 03:48 PM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
Yes, you should be covered with your Fidelity Platinum plan for a changeover valve, wear items with Fidelity are stuff like tires, batteries, brake pads. Your issue is not listed under the Fidelity Platinum exclusions.
Great, that’s what I thought. My service advisor seemed to already rule out coverage when I spoke to him over the phone, and I’m concerned he will convey the same hesitance to Fidelity when requesting repair coverage.

As an aside, diagnostic fees are covered as well, correct? I have a $100 deductible.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:59 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

Change Over valve for $788 LOL is he on crack? That's highway robbery.
Bayern991 (05-25-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 04:07 PM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Originally Posted by Joec500
Change Over valve for $788 LOL is he on crack? That's highway robbery.
Haha right?? Unfortunately I live in a state that only has one nearby Porsche dealer. They are easily the highest priced in both the sales and service side of things.

If you run a nationwide search on vehicles for sale you’ll see that they are about $10,000 higher on any car than any other Porsche dealer.

Since this is a warranty claim I don’t mind using them, but if it were out of warranty there is 0% chance I would take it there.
Old 05-24-2022, 05:27 PM
PorscheC2S
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Stupid question but what is the "change over valve"?
Old 05-24-2022, 05:58 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

They plan to disconnect the Change over Valve to find an intermittent noise? It doesn't quite work that way.
And $788 to replace a $35 dollar part that can be changed in an hour?

From your video it sounds like your plastic fan blade might be hitting something, so perhaps a bearing / bushing is starting to fail, hence no error code yet,
These fans are only held by 4 rubber grommets, and have been known to dislodge.

And finally, Change over Valves don't make any noise aside from the quietest of clicks which you can barely hear with the engine off (let alone running).
Proceed with caution because their COV theory is a special one.

Please keep us posted..
Bayern991 (05-25-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 06:52 PM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Originally Posted by duxsi
They plan to disconnect the Change over Valve to find an intermittent noise? It doesn't quite work that way.

From your video it sounds like your plastic fan blade might be hitting something, so perhaps a bearing / bushing is starting to fail, hence no error code yet,

And finally, Change over Valves don't make any noise aside from the quietest of clicks which you can barely hear with the engine off (let alone running).

Please keep us posted..
Your theory sounds plausible, especially as the noise doesn’t occur until the car has warmed up and driven enough for the fans to kick in…

Dealers get very defensive when telling them what to look for… I’ll mention it and see if they decide to diag it.

Any idea how to replicate the noise? Alternatively they could disconnect the fans to see if that made a change, but I worry about overheating.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:08 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

It could just be a matter of re-seating the lose fan.
Were the fan to fail you would get an instant message.
Mechanics tend to lose a rubber grommet when working on these cars, so I wouldn't be surprised if you're one grommet short.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1095...-grommets.html

Here is a video on how to access the fans on a 991 turbo. Our cars have the exact same setup.
Don't be intimidated, it snaps back together like a Lego set.

Ironically, if your dealer is going to replace your perfectly good Change Over Valve, he WILL need to remove the fans for access.
A local indy shop could do this check in under 5 mins.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:18 AM
PatrickBateman
Racer

It could just be a matter of re-seating the lose fan.
Were the fan to fail you would get an instant message.
Mechanics tend to lose a rubber grommet when working on these cars, so I wouldn't be surprised if you're one grommet short.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1095...-grommets.html

Here is a video on how to access the fans on a 991 turbo. Our cars have the exact same setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spELeVxEQHQ
Don't be intimidated, it snaps back together like a Lego set.

Ironically, if your dealer is going to replace your perfectly good Change Over Valve, he WILL need to remove the fans for access.
A local indy shop could do this check in under 5 mins.
I actually removed the fans to see if there was something loose underneath them before taking it to the dealer. I then snapped them back into place and the noise persists. Sounds like it’s not the fans after all since I’m not getting a fault/ warning and I know they’re secured properly.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:19 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Btw, I'm not sure what a swollen change over valve looks like so I would love to have them send you a picture.
It's not like an electronic capacitor where you literally see a bulge.

Please note that these folks are lost without an error code.
There is no ability to fault find through logic, and they hire technicians to replace parts not mechanics.
Best of luck..
Old 05-25-2022, 11:22 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
I actually removed the fans to see if there was something loose underneath them before taking it to the dealer. I then snapped them back into place and the noise persists. Sounds like it’s not the fans after all since I’m not getting a fault/ warning and I know they’re secured properly.
I was referring to the fan blades inside the housing scraping the plastic cover..
Old 05-25-2022, 01:57 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

Btw, I'm not sure what a swollen change over valve looks like so I would love to have them send you a picture.
It's not like an electronic capacitor where you literally see a bulge.

Please note that these folks are lost without an error code.
There is no ability to fault find through logic, and they hire technicians to replace parts not mechanics.
Best of luck..
I seem to remember seeing a swollen/bulged/cracked COV in the huge ongoing COV issue thread, but I could be crazy
Old 05-25-2022, 05:45 PM
Mountain_Smith
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
I seem to remember seeing a swollen/bulged/cracked COV in the huge ongoing COV issue thread, but I could be crazy
I don't have a picture, but when chasing a cooling system fault on my 2013 C2S my mechanic found at least one change over valve that was swollen, so it for sure happens. Interestingly enough, it still tested OK, along with every other one in the car, through the computer. The issue was a faulty change over valve, but it took a couple tries to find the problem one.
PatrickBateman (05-28-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 10:54 PM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Please keep us posted..
Updating as promised, I got the car back. They changed the COV to an air line IIRC? They showed me a picture of a cracked COV and said that appeared to fix it. They gave me the car and said to come back after the long weekend to make sure the noise doesn’t come back before they close out the repair. Drove it for about 30 miles over the course of a few hours and the noise hasn’t returned in all of the scenarios that it previously had occurred.

I’m not sure why or how this could have made that noise but it seems they were correct!

Quick Reply: 991.1 knocking noise video inside