Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd gap between rear trim and carpet - possible causes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 01:55 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Odd gap between rear trim and carpet - possible causes?

As I was familiarizing myself with my new to me 991 TTS, I noticed an odd gap between the rear trim and carpet on the passenger side. It is nice and tight on the driver side. I started to pull trim pieces, and realized I was in for a complete afternoon of work. Therefore, wanted to post the question here and see if anyone had noticed this before, or what might have caused it? Should I assume someone had the rear seats and trim out in the past? I am thinking about removing everything just to check for anything loose and then replace correctly if that would fix the gap. I did take the opportunity to tighten the side window when I had the b-pillar trim off. Need to do that on the driver side too!

TIA

I am not prying it up here. Able to slide my hands in the gap easily. No gap on other side.

Last edited by skl2; 05-10-2022 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:59 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

should not be like that - maybe missing some tabs or tabs broken off or not reinstalled properly
Old 05-10-2022, 02:36 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,280 Posts

That piece, if I recall correctly, slides into place within a slot, rather than a snap-in style like a door card. Looks to me that it isn't actually slotted in. Removal and reinstallation should fix that.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:46 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
That piece, if I recall correctly, slides into place within a slot, rather than a snap-in style like a door card. Looks to me that it isn't actually slotted in. Removal and reinstallation should fix that.
just feeling behind it, I think I know what you mean. Looks like Ill be tearing into the rear of the car on an upcoming day off!
Old 05-11-2022, 09:39 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

There is probably a broken tab, or a tab that is not in the correct slot. When you remove the panel, make sure to lift "up" (~1/2") toward the roof. That should release the panel from the base of the rear window. Then, there is a tab you have to reach between the panel and fender to release with your finger to pull up and release the panel from the fender structure.

Watch out for speaker wires if you remove. Otherwise just try to reinstall and catch the offending tab?

Top 2 photos: The greenish foam surrounds the tab to release the panel. For your case, my guess is the tab just below the tan circular hole (rear seat back latch hole) is out of place or broken.
Bottom photo: Notice the rechangular hole in the fender, if I recall correctly, that's the slot/hole the panel release tab locks into.

Look at post #92 in my thread for more photos
DanQ interior upgrade

Last edited by DanQ; 05-11-2022 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:42 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanQ
There is probably a broken tab, or a tab that is not in the correct slot. When you remove the panel, make sure to lift "up" (~1/2") toward the roof. That should release the panel from the base of the rear window. Then, there is a tab you have to reach between the panel and fender to release with your finger to pull up and release the panel from the fender structure.

Watch out for speaker wires if you remove. Otherwise just try to reinstall and catch the offending tab?

Top 2 photos: The greenish foam surrounds the tab to release the panel. For your case, my guess is the tab just below the tan circular hole (rear seat back latch hole) is out of place or broken.
Bottom photo: Notice the rechangular hole in the fender, if I recall correctly, that's the slot/hole the panel release tab locks into.

Look at post #92 in my thread for more photos
DanQ interior upgrade

your posts have been my inspiration to tear into the trim and fix it! Thanks for all the pictures and descriptions. Will report back!

Quick Reply: Odd gap between rear trim and carpet - possible causes?