Sponsored by:

991.1 GTS considerations + alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 02:44 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by NewTX911
Thank you all for the thoughtful perspectives. My biggest internal debate thus far is:
1. With the Gen 2 NSX in the stable - a 991.1 RWD GTS manual seems like a very nice complement to that, vs.
2. 991.1 RWD GTS prices seem to be on par with 991.2 GTSs - why not just go with newer/more technology in the .2 (but then is it different enough from the Gen 2 NSX - I'm going in circles now)

My target budget is $100K-$120K - so perhaps in the end that'll help dictate and match against what's available in the market. I expect to drive this a fair amount to haul the kids around. The good news is that this seems like a good "problem" to have (can't go wrong with either a .1 or .2). Appreciate the continued thoughts...

If you can, drive both 991.1 GTS and 991.2 GTS and decide for yourself which one you like most.

If you decide for the 991.1 GTS and your budget is a little bit stretched, don’t hesitate to consider 991.1 GTS with higher mileages, if regularly driven,properly maintained and taken care of, you don’t really have to worry.

Pros of 991.1 GTS is the awesome N/A soundtrack which you will like coming from a NA NSX.
Cons is you will probably fell the need for a better shifter, the stock one is OK but not great for spirited driving and lower torque but honestly adequate for my use.

Old 03-29-2022, 09:18 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by Watson
Cons is you will probably fell the need for a better shifter, the stock one is OK but not great for spirited driving .
Totally agree with this.

I upgraded to the Numeric Shifter ( did not do cables) and its PERFECT. Exactly how it should have been from factory ( But I understand why it wasn't)

Drove my car yesterday after a few days of no driving, and man oh man the is probably my forever-911. topping out 2nd and then 3rd gear on a lonely country road was almost scary, triple digits and that sound, the way it wakes up after 4000 . I had a smile from ear to ear
Old 03-29-2022, 10:36 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by desmotesta
Totally agree with this.

I upgraded to the Numeric Shifter ( did not do cables) and its PERFECT. Exactly how it should have been from factory ( But I understand why it wasn't)

Drove my car yesterday after a few days of no driving, and man oh man the is probably my forever-911. topping out 2nd and then 3rd gear on a lonely country road was almost scary, triple digits and that sound, the way it wakes up after 4000 . I had a smile from ear to ear

OP: sorry not wanting to hijack the tread.

@desmotesta
I don’t feel confident switching gears between 5th, 6th and 7th gear, it’s like I am searching where is the 7th from the 5th - I am only doing normal driving so rpm is always below 3500rpm. Do I need more time with the car (only driven for 400 miles since purchase) or will the Numeric shifter solve this issue?

Found also this review of Numeric shifter 991.1 GTS :

Old 03-29-2022, 11:01 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,507 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage
For me based on experience:

2. But don’t be so stuck on a .1. The 991.2 is better than .1 in every way except the exhaust note. But that can be fixed with a set of headers and sport cats.
The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 11:02 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,507 Likes on 811 Posts

Check out the gt350 or evora 400/gt. Both excellent cars.
Old 03-29-2022, 11:22 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flsupraguy

I know man.. I know! I was shaking my head too LOL
Old 03-29-2022, 11:30 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

OP: sorry not wanting to hijack the tread.

@desmotesta
I don’t feel confident switching gears between 5th, 6th and 7th gear, it’s like I am searching where is the 7th from the 5th - I am only doing normal driving so rpm is always below 3500rpm. Do I need more time with the car (only driven for 400 miles since purchase) or will the Numeric shifter solve this issue?

Found also this review of Numeric shifter 991.1 GTS :
https://youtu.be/5jC6KBQAjIE
@Watson I was having similar issues with stock Shifter.

My biggest issue was not only that 5th, 6th and 7th gears, but also what i would call dangerous vagueness when downshifting at even normal speeds/RPMs between 5th, 4th and especially 3rd.

With Sport-chrono and rev matching turned ON, I frequently triggered the sensor for 3rd gear when I was actually trying to go into 5th. At lower speeds its no big deal, but imagine the RPM is already at 6000 and you trigger the sensor for 3rd instead of 5th.. instant Over-rev and disaster.
Numeric has made it all better, no more vague gears, no more false downshifts..

I have The Numeric Shifter with the stiffer spring, no cables, Shifter height at 75% of OEM and it pure perfection.

Good luck and hope this helps
Old 03-29-2022, 12:52 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by desmotesta
@Watson I was having similar issues with stock Shifter.

My biggest issue was not only that 5th, 6th and 7th gears, but also what i would call dangerous vagueness when downshifting at even normal speeds/RPMs between 5th, 4th and especially 3rd.

With Sport-chrono and rev matching turned ON, I frequently triggered the sensor for 3rd gear when I was actually trying to go into 5th. At lower speeds its no big deal, but imagine the RPM is already at 6000 and you trigger the sensor for 3rd instead of 5th.. instant Over-rev and disaster.
Numeric has made it all better, no more vague gears, no more false downshifts..

I have The Numeric Shifter with the stiffer spring, no cables, Shifter height at 75% of OEM and it pure perfection.

Good luck and hope this helps
Thanks it helps!

Yes, 3rd gear operation is also tricky and I have not revved the engine too high for fear of over revving - as you mentioned, it’s not impossible to happen with the stock shifter and rev-matched feature enabled in Sport Plus.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:20 PM
NewTX911
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Really appreciate the exchange of perspectives and education here. I have driven a 991.1 GTS RWD PDK. I will test drive a 991.2 GTS RWD PDK and a higher mileage (50K miles) 991.2 GTS AWD PDK this weekend - assuming both are still available. (Manuals unbelievably hard to find to test drive.)
Old 03-29-2022, 02:00 PM
991_T
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Zylinderkopfdichtung
I’m a big advocate of dissimilarity in one’s garage. With your interest in natural aspiration and manual transmissions, and the fact that you have a back engine car already, I really think you should consider a Shelby GT350R. You can get a creampuff for a fair but less than your budget, even a last model year 2020 Heritage Edition if the look floats your boat. At least drive one and decide if it speaks to you or not.

GT350Rs don’t have back seats, but I just so happen to have a GT350R rear seat kit sitting unused in my basement!
Ok Z I will agree with you on the GT350R recommendation I too love this particular Mustang and I can have one anytime I want, (my neighbor has one and it's mine for the taking) BUT it's still nothing like driving a 991.1 or 991.2 not even close IMO especially on the track they are ill handling compared to a 911.

I was just about to pick up a 991.1 GTS MT myself like booking a airline ticket to fly and drive, but after hours of research and losing sleep over it I knew I really wanted a 991.2 T MT after a few mods and a tune I can chase the 911S & GTS's around the track and pass a few.
Like Desmotesta mentioned the Numeric shifter is a gamechanger I went with the shifter & cables it added an additional fun factor to the driving experience, you need to drive one NewTX.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:05 PM
Ronak Gorajia
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NewTX911
Hi all - I’ve always admired Porsche and have probably chosen the most difficult time to buy my first one. After learning a newbuild 992 GTS is practically impossible for me to get (I don’t believe in paying ridiculous ADMs), I started looking into 2015-2016 991.1 GTSs (last naturally aspirated, test drove one and felt/sounded great). Any advice from the group? - things to watch out for, must-have options, places to look besides Autotrader, etc? I’m coming from the NSX world - owned a 1997 NA2 NSX for 15 years and had a 2017 NC1 NSX for four years and have a 2022 NSX Type S on order. I miss driving a manual so am currently leaning towards finding a manual and want something that complements the 2022 NSX (AWD, auto, mid-engine, hybrid - so RWD, manual, rear engine, ICE only sounds great!).

Also, any suggestions for other alternatives to consider - Porsche or otherwise? There are so many Porsche trims to make my head spin (do like daily drivability and 2+2 seating of 911). Thanks in advance.
As a owner of a '16 gts cabrio (previously had a 991.1 base 4 - I can strongly attest to the purity of driving the gts. Always up for debate of NA vs Turbo and other debatable points. My favorite features of MY CAR are the following (which a lot come std on the GTS)
-CL Wheels - although you have to find specialized shops to work on removing/installing them with correct torque spec
-PSE - the throaty and bubbly exhaust when thsi car fires up is second-to-none
-Bose sound system to me is sufficient
-full leather dash - my previous car did not have this but after I got the GTS - i noticed a huge difference
-if you do get a coupe; I think the glass sunroof is a superb option. My best friend has a '15 GTS and I love that feature

Feel free to reach out if you have any detailed questions
Old 03-29-2022, 03:15 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ronak Gorajia
My favorite features of MY CAR are the following (which a lot come std on the GTS)
-CL Wheels - although you have to find specialized shops to work on removing/installing them with correct torque spec
-PSE - the throaty and bubbly exhaust when thsi car fires up is second-to-none
-Bose sound system to me is sufficient
-full leather dash - my previous car did not have this but after I got the GTS - i noticed a huge difference
-if you do get a coupe; I think the glass sunroof is a superb option. My best friend has a '15 GTS and I love that feature
I agree with all the points you mentioned above.
I was surprised that the Bose was actually very good for my taste despite all the critics I read so Bose is a rather good surprise to me. That’s why OP needs to experience each car and form his own judgment.
Old 03-30-2022, 05:58 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts

I don’t feel confident switching gears between 5th, 6th and 7th gear,
I forget who suggested it here, but the best way to approach the 7 speed is to treat it like a 6 speed. Ignore 7th, just completely forget it is there. The lockout which only lets you get there from 5 or 6 is great. I mean yeah, I guess your MPG will drop a tiny bit, but overall quality of life is increased if you literally ignore 7th.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tangerine:
desmotesta (03-30-2022), ducktails (04-04-2022), jfischet (03-30-2022), Watson (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 06:27 PM
Bodacious
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Don’t sleep on a nice manual Carrera T.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:29 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tangerine
I forget who suggested it here, but the best way to approach the 7 speed is to treat it like a 6 speed. Ignore 7th, .

Exactly this! I do the same.. no 7th gear.. I might even get a GT3 shift **** that is missing a 7th gear engraving LOL
The following users liked this post:
991_T (03-30-2022)

Quick Reply: 991.1 GTS considerations + alternatives