Sponsored by:

991.1 GTS considerations + alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022 | 06:49 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bodacious
Don’t sleep on a nice manual Carrera T.
Doesn’t the T have the same shifter as GT4, or is it something else? Whatever it is, it’s definitely nowhere near as bad as what others are describing for 991 shifters. I’m sure the Numeric is better, but I’m pleasantly surprised to find the stock T shifter to be more than adequate. Honestly, I’m more concerned with making myself a better driver than with modifying the car.
Old 03-30-2022 | 09:44 PM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I prefer the drama of the .1 due to power delivery not sound. An N/A car has to be wound out. This is my fun car so not concerned about daily driving manners. The .1 will get smoked in a drag race but I did not buy the car to drag race. I think you dodged a bullet on the 992. The interior is a disaster and it loses the 911 mantra of simplicity.
The 992 is a disaster. It’s not a 911. Nothing but a very expensive VW GTI. WTH Porsche?!
The following users liked this post:
The Ox (04-01-2022)
Old 03-31-2022 | 09:45 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Laszlo_Laz
The 992 is a disaster. It’s not a 911. Nothing but a very expensive VW GTI. WTH Porsche?!
I am sure the same statement was made when Porsche went from 964 to 993.. or 993 to 996.. or 997 to 991

There is always something lost and something gained. Many times what folks call connection or feeling is lost for safety, (paper) performance or reliability.

I am sure the 992 drives like a 911 (especially for those who have experienced 991.2). The interior is bit of a mess with a strange combination of Ford Mustang like hard buttons and haptic touch black shiny pieces which are impossible to keep clean.
I do love that all of them are "wide-body" and that there are many reflections of Older 911s.

I have found (over time) that the newer the 911 model, the higher in trim range you have to go to experience that 911-feeling. Its almost as if every new 911 iteration is designed to lure buyers from other brands and nostalgic/veteran 911 buyers have to buy a higher trim if they want the same old pure feeling.

Old 04-01-2022 | 09:00 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NewTX911
2. 991.1 RWD GTS prices seem to be on par with 991.2 GTSs - why not just go with newer/more technology in the .2 (but then is it different enough from the Gen 2 NSX - I'm going in circles now)
When I bought my .1S, I planned to upgrade to a .2 GTS in a couple years… assumed it would cost me $100k give or take as that’s what 991.1 GTS were selling for.

Covid happens. Now .1 GTS are 125k for a manual, .2 GTS are $150k, and MSRP for a 992 GTS is $150k.

Can’t win.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 04-01-2022 at 09:02 AM.
NJ991 (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022 | 09:43 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking Pricing in SoCal (San Diego)

According to my dealer sales rep Dieter at Carlabad Porsche, Carlsbad, CA, and BTW, a real "gear head" and a winning Endurance Racer, 991.2 GTS cars are selling for the original MSRP + some. He has a 2018 Chalk White Carrera GTS coming in as a trde in on a new GT3, hopefully June 2022....so many delays. This will be a sweet ride. I can imagine that this is true for 991.1 GTS...If your want Dieter's contact info, PM me. And noting I recieve $0 for a referal.

BTW I almost bought a 991.1 GTS about 3 years past, was going for about $90,000...this puppy was loaded. I chocked on the price...I was going to have to come up with $20,000 over the sale price of my 2004 GTS...including that 7.75% CA sales tax.

In December 2021, I finally got a GTS, a 2017....paid considerably more than $90,000...that's life....whatever. The car came up for sale at a BMW dealer 10 miles from my home. I price I paid for my 2017 GTS was worth it...the most increible car I have ever driven, and with all the modern creature comforts.

The moral to the story, if yu see a Carrera GTS for sale with decent mileage, Clean Carfax and no stories, snap it up. It won't last long. When I saw mine early last December, by 10:00 AM, I was signing the papers at 11:00 AM, and took her home that same afternoon. It's been heaven since then.

Last edited by Martin S.; 04-01-2022 at 09:47 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Martin S.:
dd356 (04-04-2022), desmotesta (04-01-2022), Porsche911GTS'16 (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022 | 10:09 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
. Now .1 GTS are 125k for a manual, .2 GTS are $150k, and MSRP for a 992 GTS is $150k.

Can’t win.
FIL just sold his 992 Targa 4S (mediocrely optioned) for $234K after putting 4K miles on it and to use his words "getting it out of his system"...LOL (he paid $167K and waited 11 months)

I imagine when the 992 GTS hits the streets, it will be North of $190K
Old 04-01-2022 | 10:31 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by desmotesta
FIL just sold his 992 Targa 4S (mediocrely optioned) for $234K after putting 4K miles on it and to use his words "getting it out of his system"...LOL (he paid $167K and waited 11 months)

I imagine when the 992 GTS hits the streets, it will be North of $190K
Jesus people have gone full retard
Old 04-02-2022 | 03:19 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Jesus people have gone full retard
Last dealer I spoke to said $25k-30k over MSRP for a GTS. Just not worth it to me at that price, but some people have enough $ that they don’t care. They’re also banking on being able to drive it a short time and turn around and flip it before the bottom falls out of this hyper inflated market. If they are able to sell for around what they paid, or even just a little less, then it is even less depreciation hit than in the past buying a new car. They’re just taking more hit on lost opportunity cost (not having the $ in suitable investment giving solid returns)since more $ tied up in a depreciating asset. Overall though, if you can park the cash, yea you pay more up front right now but you’re also selling higher than in the past. Assuming the market doesn’t fall out and you’re left holding the hot potato.
Old 04-02-2022 | 09:54 AM
NF4710
Pro

The GTS is great but it’s not worth paying over sticker when you can get a nice Carrera S for far under sticker. The cars are negligibly different to drive despite all the hype (and yes I have driven both .1 and .2 Carrera S and GTS).

The .1 vs .2 debate is one you need to settle for yourself but they are two very different cars IMO.

NF.
Old 04-02-2022 | 11:37 AM
evio
Instructor

Question for everyone. I put a deposit down when they were first announced, the GTS that is. I specked it out price and all and the manager signed off on it. Do they have to honor that or can they still charge me over MSRP ?..
Old 04-02-2022 | 11:47 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NF4710
The GTS is great but it’s not worth paying over sticker when you can get a nice Carrera S for far under sticker. The cars are negligibly different to drive despite all the hype (and yes I have driven both .1 and .2 Carrera S and GTS).

The .1 vs .2 debate is one you need to settle for yourself but they are two very different cars IMO.

NF.
(disclaimer, the 3 cars I speak about all had same tires , MP4S and same S-PASM suspension)
Having owned both .1 S and 2 X .1 GTSs I can say with confidence that there is a stark difference between the two. Would someone realize that difference in a 20-30 minute test drive, I dont know, because everyone is difference and some people are more sensitive to smaller differences.
The differences were obvious over several thousand miles of ownership. .1 S felt more nimble (even though the front end is same as GTS except wider track via Turbo S Center lock wheel), S felt more playful. more 997-like when it comes to rear end.
On my favorite set of twists and on/off ramps, the limits were lower on the .1 S where the GTS just feels more planted and the MPH on speedo is several numbers higher (thanks to the planted feel).
The steering feel and feedback on both GTS is very different to the .1 S I owned. A lot more noticeable feedback and feeling on my '15 and '16 GTS Vs my '12 991.1 S. I am convinced Porsche made a software change to the electric steering between my '12 991.1 S and both '15-'16 GTSs
Front grip, rear grip, front "limits" and rear "limits" .. all noticeably higher on both GTSs Vs .1 S, hands down an improvement after driving over and over and sampling different driving conditions.
Lastly, my '16 GTS with PDCC is not as "settled" and communicative as my '15 GTS was (non-PDCC) which is something I did not expect. Near Street-limits the non-PDCC car was more communicative where the PDCC car just stays flat and then starts to understeer if pushed further. I am sure it can be dialed out with alignment.

Above is not some subjective dribble, it is based on several thousand miles of ownership and experimentation between .1 S and 2 X .1 GTSs , same tires, road conditions and road locations, so take it for what it is worth, but it is Objective.

Hope this helps
Porsche911GTS'16 (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022 | 11:49 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evio
Question for everyone. I put a deposit down when they were first announced, the GTS that is. I specked it out price and all and the manager signed off on it. Do they have to honor that or can they still charge me over MSRP ?..
Are you saying you "ordered" a car via dealer and signed papers and manager signed off on it? If that is the case you should pay what was agreed upon (or you can flip it when it arrives for $25-$40K easily)

Old 04-02-2022 | 11:56 AM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

i wouldnt put anything past a dealer...i read that some Ford dealers were cancelling contracts on Broncos and adding ADM..take it or leave it
Old 04-02-2022 | 11:58 AM
NF4710
Pro

(disclaimer, the 3 cars I speak about all had same tires , MP4S and same S-PASM suspension)
Having owned both .1 S and 2 X .1 GTSs I can say with confidence that there is a stark difference between the two. Would someone realize that difference in a 20-30 minute test drive, I dont know, because everyone is difference and some people are more sensitive to smaller differences.
The differences were obvious over several thousand miles of ownership. .1 S felt more nimble (even though the front end is same as GTS except wider track via Turbo S Center lock wheel), S felt more playful. more 997-like when it comes to rear end.
On my favorite set of twists and on/off ramps, the limits were lower on the .1 S where the GTS just feels more planted and the MPH on speedo is several numbers higher (thanks to the planted feel).
The steering feel and feedback on both GTS is very different to the .1 S I owned. A lot more noticeable feedback and feeling on my '15 and '16 GTS Vs my '12 991.1 S. I am convinced Porsche made a software change to the electric steering between my '12 991.1 S and both '15-'16 GTSs
Front grip, rear grip, front "limits" and rear "limits" .. all noticeably higher on both GTSs Vs .1 S, hands down an improvement after driving over and over and sampling different driving conditions.
Lastly, my '16 GTS with PDCC is not as "settled" and communicative as my '15 GTS was (non-PDCC) which is something I did not expect. Near Street-limits the non-PDCC car was more communicative where the PDCC car just stays flat and then starts to understeer if pushed further. I am sure it can be dialed out with alignment.

Above is not some subjective dribble, it is based on several thousand miles of ownership and experimentation between .1 S and 2 X .1 GTSs , same tires, road conditions and road locations, so take it for what it is worth, but it is Objective.

Hope this helps
With all due respect I’ve driven both cars hundreds of miles back to back on the same road. There is minimal difference in steering feel between a .1 S-PASM and GTS in my hands. As for absolute limits of grip it’s a negligible difference based on a fractionally wider track at front and the 4S track at rear. If you’re tracking then it might make a slight difference but it’s minimal on the street. I think the current GTS premium on the used market is nuts and driven by hype.

NF.
Old 04-02-2022 | 12:14 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Hope this helps
did you have/use the DSC controller with all three?

Quick Reply: 991.1 GTS considerations + alternatives