991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust: To Fister, or not to Fister?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022 | 07:40 PM
991.7mt
Rennlist Member

Default Exhaust: To Fister, or not to Fister?

Hi Everyone!

I have a 991.1 C2 3.4 7MT and I’m debating if I want to go the Fister Muffler route.

I currently have a Sharkwerks X-Pipe on the car. Tone is much better, pops and crackles are nice and the volume was increased.

I know I could go down the rabbit hole and get a set of headers and a tune for $4,000 but I’m trying to avoid that for now.

Does anyone have any videos of their C2 3.4 with Fister Mufflers? Possibly with the Sharkwerks X-Pipe or another X-Pipe?
Looking for a full review.

My Exhaust:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yNk...w?usp=drivesdk

Thanks!

Last edited by 991.7mt; 03-13-2022 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-13-2022 | 08:00 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

What are you trying to accomplish? It sounds like you are happy with the sharkwerks set up. I had a Fister on a 993 I had and it sounded fantastic but I've never heard their set on a 997 or 991.
Old 03-13-2022 | 08:03 PM
991.7mt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
What are you trying to accomplish? It sounds like you are happy with the sharkwerks set up. I had a Fister on a 993 I had and it sounded fantastic but I've never heard their set on a 997 or 991.
I am definitely happy, but more volume would be nice. I just don’t want it obnoxious or to have any drone. Appreciate it!
Old 03-14-2022 | 11:31 AM
_moosey_
AutoX

I found these 2 threads helpful as I'm thinking about this too but just haven't pulled the trigger...yet.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1268...k-edition.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1289...etty-cool.html
Old 03-15-2022 | 03:38 PM
Esq.
Advanced

I had fisters with an AWE x-pipe on my first 991 base w/o PSE. I really liked the sound. I started out with the Fister's first but it wasn't enough volume. I added the x-pipe later and it was perfect IMO. All subjective obviously but worth it IMO.
Old 03-15-2022 | 05:29 PM
professorman
Racer

Originally Posted by Esq.
I had fisters with an AWE x-pipe on my first 991 base w/o PSE. I really liked the sound. I started out with the Fister's first but it wasn't enough volume. I added the x-pipe later and it was perfect IMO. All subjective obviously but worth it IMO.
Would love to hear your car. I also have a 991.1 base without PSE.
Would like to hear the car with the engine hot, in a open space, similar to the video the OP posted.

Cold engines dump a lot of gas in the cats, trying to warm them, and people who do videos in garage/closed space results in a louder car than you hear in the open.
Old 03-17-2022 | 06:50 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I did the sharkwerks Xpipe and it came right off - I liked the louder sound but I hated the extra audible "snap crackle pops".
Later I did the Fister and I like it very much, added some bass and anger at idle and low speeds, kinda like a loudness button, but did not exagerate the snap-crackle pops like an xpipe, nor is it droning... Good enough for me...

Honestly I am not sure what combining them both would be like, as it seems to me they do more or less the same thing with small variations in intensity - you already have the louder option of the 2, so I'd explore something else... but I never tried combining so what do I know ;-)

PS: nothing but good things to say about Fister customer service, delivery, work, packaging, etc..
Old 03-18-2022 | 09:52 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 991.7mt
Hi Everyone!

I have a 991.1 C2 3.4 7MT and I’m debating if I want to go the Fister Muffler route.

I currently have a Sharkwerks X-Pipe on the car. Tone is much better, pops and crackles are nice and the volume was increased.

I know I could go down the rabbit hole and get a set of headers and a tune for $4,000 but I’m trying to avoid that for now.

Does anyone have any videos of their C2 3.4 with Fister Mufflers? Possibly with the Sharkwerks X-Pipe or another X-Pipe?

My Exhaust:

Thanks!
I like the tone from the Sharkwerks X pipe.
Old 03-19-2022 | 06:47 PM
Esq.
Advanced

Originally Posted by professorman
Would love to hear your car. I also have a 991.1 base without PSE.
Would like to hear the car with the engine hot, in a open space, similar to the video the OP posted.

Cold engines dump a lot of gas in the cats, trying to warm them, and people who do videos in garage/closed space results in a louder car than you hear in the open.
that car is long gone and I didn’t take a vid when I had it. Just try them they’re cheap enough when it comes to Porsche. If you don’t like it I’m sure you can sell them on here. But I think you’ll like it.
Old 03-20-2022 | 12:16 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

On my 991.1 3.4L no PSE, i have AWE xpipe and Gundo/Fisker like hacked mufflers. The sound is absolutely intoxicating, the crackle and pop sounded like thunder even in normal mode letting off gas at 4k rpm. Under an overpass at full throttle sounded like a Lambo.
But for daily was a touch too much. I had HHR fabricate a set of small resonators that i popped in place of the small 9 inch pipe that AWE has on there. Found smallest resonators i could and sent directly to hank. Took some measurements and had him fab the pipes on each end of the resonators to fit over existing. But if you have a local shop thats good with exhaust just take it there. With resonators it delivered just the right amount of reduction for the car to be perfect for daily. Less crackle and pop but overall allot more comfortable for daily use.
Even with resonators sounds allot better than Xpipe alone. the mufflers gave it a low deeper tone that i like. Xpipe alone was too raspy for my taste.

Last edited by malahhaor; 03-20-2022 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-20-2022 | 08:58 AM
_moosey_
AutoX

Originally Posted by malahhaor
On my 991.1 3.4L no PSE, i have AWE xpipe and Gundo/Fisker like hacked mufflers. The sound is absolutely intoxicating, the crackle and pop sounded like thunder even in normal mode letting off gas at 4k rpm. Under an overpass at full throttle sounded like a Lambo.
But for daily was a touch too much. I had HHR fabricate a set of small resonators that i popped in place of the small 9 inch pipe that AWE has on there. Found smallest resonators i could and sent directly to hank. Took some measurements and had him fab the pipes on each end of the resonators to fit over existing. But if you have a local shop thats good with exhaust just take it there. With resonators it delivered just the right amount of reduction for the car to be perfect for daily. Less crackle and pop but overall allot more comfortable for daily use.
Even with resonators sounds allot better than Xpipe alone. the mufflers gave it a low deeper tone that i like. Xpipe alone was too raspy for my taste.
@malahhaor - I'm assuming it was the combination of the xpipe and the mufflers that made it a bit too much for daily, correct? Assuming the Fister's on their own were fine for daily in your opinion.
Old 03-20-2022 | 01:27 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

I had xpipe first then added the mufflers. But yes Fister by themselves will be fine.
Old 03-20-2022 | 03:19 PM
professorman
Racer

Originally Posted by _moosey_
@malahhaor - I'm assuming it was the combination of the xpipe and the mufflers that made it a bit too much for daily, correct? Assuming the Fister's on their own were fine for daily in your opinion.
my 997.2 C2S has Sharkwerks X pipe and fisher-D. It’s decently loud and have burbles. I don’t have problems with the sound level, but for my 991, I might want a level or two lower.
Old 05-11-2022 | 04:38 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Originally Posted by 991.7mt
Hi Everyone!

My Exhaust:

Thanks!
I have the AWE Switchpath exaust. It was highly recommended if you have the PSE button. It's almost stock sound (little more rumble and pops than stock but nothing too noticeable at all with old man driving), completely drone free in normal mode. Put it in sport, open those valves with the PSE button, and you have a completely different beast. It'll bypass the side mufflers and sounds incredible, especially when letting off the gas.
Old 05-11-2022 | 11:40 PM
Mdot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by _moosey_
I found these 2 threads helpful as I'm thinking about this too but just haven't pulled the trigger...yet.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1268...k-edition.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1289...etty-cool.html

I have just the Fister mufflers on my C4 (first link you quoted). I wanted a little more depth to the NA motor, thats exactly what it achieved. It's not much louder inside the cabin, but quite a bit deeper and more pronounced from the outside. I have heard them paired with an x-pipe which also sounds amazing - but without having PSE and an exhaust button, I found it a bit loud for daily duties in quiet neighborhoods when I go to visit clients.

I have a few other cars, mostly AMG's. The V8 note and rumble from those with the performance exhaust is enough to keep me happy when I want to make some noise

Quick Reply: Exhaust: To Fister, or not to Fister?