Sponsored by:

Fister muffler install on 3.4 car - pretty cool

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2022 | 02:34 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Fister muffler install on 3.4 car - pretty cool

I ordered and got the Fister mod mufflers... I'm pretty happy.
Service was very good, immediate call back and billing - be advised they seem to charge tax on cores but that changes when you get the bill, all good.
They arrived very quick.. The instructions are one page only and honestly you can figure that out yourself - some tips on my end...

- Do get the new hardware they offer for a few bucks, some of your old stuff probably needs help and it fits on all the nuts you will touch, all 13mm. You also need the 6 point star female socket for the tips.
- Wheels off - wing up (joking, that was to replace a missing tail light screw cover at the same time) - remove the tips...
- As they say, undo the clamps at the muffler tube going to the center muffler (2x side) and slide the clamp over to the tube you are removing, then then ones holding the bracket on the cats (2 of the 3 attaching to cats), and finally 2 more nuts near the wheel - 6 nuts total, all 13mm - how convenient

Move the muffler out of the car. It helps if you have some Tetris experience. To remove it, I rotated it so the freed up pipes went upwards, while pushing the big can towards the rear wheel opening, rotated more, pushed more, then drop down when you clear everything - it comes out from under the car but you still need to push it back a bit. Trick is to make sure the bracket you unbolted from the cats is well off its studs and tucked away - it pivots a bit.

F-me, that tail light film looks horrible under LED lights, it looks red outside I swear !

See above - move the 2 brackets w/hardware from one muffler to another... Oddly my new cans came different - one with one of the 2 brackets still attached, the other none as expected... (ironicallt that braket was repainted and did not fit easily over the studs so I replaced it with my old one anyway)
So - move the brackets over, also 13mm !!! still convenient... The metal sponge thingies come out and relocate to your new cans, the big bolt thru both. When I did that, one "sponge" fell out each time I pushed the other , so I ended up using a clamp to push both in at the same time ;-)

While at it, notice the nail in your tire(s). Thankfully not deep enough to puncture and in the meat of the PS4

With brackets moved over, put it back in.
GENUINELY have no idea how I put the first one back on, luck I guess. For #2 I paid attention, Tetris again. I inserted it all from the rear wheel area, pipes pointing upwards or at least 45 degrees up, to thread the pipes over behind the cats, with that bracket over its studs on the cat ... Once reasonably close on the cat bracket, I put on a nut on each bolt to prevent it from falling off... THEN and only then I did the rear wheel bracket - 2 minutes..
Finally the clamp to the center muffler - slide back, tighten, used new hardware if need be (I used mine on the cats studs). LOL there, on the first muffler I forget to put the sliding clamp back and had to undo everything, slide it on, re-tetris, etc...
So to recap, do these 2 bastards below first !

THEN those

then the muffler clamps... Then tighten all...

Side note: soot is awesome as a beard/hair coloring ! "Just for men", move over, my wife liked my new look but the shower erased that...

Now videos of the before after, yes it's a base 3.4 with no options at all, a complete stripper (but light - lighter wheels, lighter battery, zero heavy options, no sunroof, nada)

B4 - laugh away you sport exhaust owners

after, me likey... especially $580w w/o coating (invisible anyway and will be scratched to **** unless you are master at tetris), return shipping included. lovely !!

PS: it's not (just?) modded inside the can, there is an extra pipe crossing over on the cans, look above...
PPS: if it does not drone much, I am super happy with the price/ease of install/service !
PPPS: If inspired by wall art, may I remind you that Porsche's press site (google it) offers all sorts of racing/classic pics in high res FREE (download the big ones), Costco will print that poster size for $5. You're welcome.

Last edited by Greg D.; 02-11-2022 at 02:43 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Greg D.:
gc88 (02-11-2022), Gripster (02-11-2022), Guards_Red_991 (02-11-2022)
Old 02-11-2022 | 08:39 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

What's parked next to your 991???
Old 02-11-2022 | 11:24 AM
_moosey_
AutoX

Thanks for this! I'm debating the same setup on my 3.4 and wanted to get your take on overall volume difference as mine's basically a daily and don't want anything too loud or aggressive. Can you provide your thoughts on that and the drone ("not much drone")?
Old 02-11-2022 | 11:37 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

> What's parked next to your 991???

1972 911T - mint and numbers matching down to the seatbelts.. For sale soon, I just don't use it enough anymore

> wanted to get your take on overall volume difference

Didn't have time for a proper drive yet. Will today. So far a deeper bark at startup and a little deepr sound windows down. Anecdotal - will beat on it this afternoon and report.
Old 02-11-2022 | 08:29 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by _moosey_
Thanks for this! I'm debating the same setup on my 3.4 and wanted to get your take on overall volume difference as mine's basically a daily and don't want anything too loud or aggressive. Can you provide your thoughts on that and the drone ("not much drone")?
Ok, so the bottom line is it's OK...Especially for the $. No the car does not turn into a 458 stradale. Basically it sounds about the same, the porsche whine/metal saw is still there, but it adds a low pitched rumble under that.
Mostly heard at idle to 3000 rpm windows down... Not sophisticated, exactly but kinda nice addition of a lower frequency...
If i was to compare I'd say it' sounded a lot like the X-pipe I returned previously in the bark that it adds - but the x-pipe was also enhancing the snap-crackle-pop honda fart can noises which I loathed so it went back immediately. This does not - there's afew like before but not more. Low speed, windows down, noticeable deeper bark under the whine. Above 3000 rpm, I can't tell much difference, it probably is a bit louder but doesn't jump at you...Hard to compare strictly from memory, not like I have a toggle switch.
No resonnance or drone I noticed on a short freeway trip. Windows up it's not all that different - bear in mind I can smell a meal from far away but have never been accused of being a golden ear.

Other thing: the new paint smells, I guess it must cure... I thought I was lighting candles or setting something on fire...Nope.
Old 04-16-2022 | 10:39 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

I also have mufflers that have been modified in the same manner just not by Fister. In addition i have AWE Xpipe and two small custom made resonators.
I added resonators because it was a little too loud for daily but boy the car sounded like high revving 12 cylinder and the pops were like thunder when letting off the gas at 4k.
I installed Xpipe first and it made the car louder but was too high pitch and raspy for my taste, i then added Fister-like modded mufflers and it lowered the tone nicely. Then i added the resonators.

Enjoy the new sound and drive safe!
Old 04-17-2022 | 04:27 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

had my 06 Fistered by the GURU himself at his shop in Brentwood, ca...took about an hour..

Quick Reply: Fister muffler install on 3.4 car - pretty cool