Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7MT: GT4 vs Numeric Short Shifter, which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 05:56 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
I am tempted to fly down there just to drive your car, lol.

I didn't add the rubber tubing, but in retrospect, definitely should have. I think where the majority of the excess noise is coming from are the metal rod ends. I wonder if the Numeric rod ends are compatible with these Precision Works cables?
I have the precision Works cables, from what I can see they are built exactly the same as the numeric ones WITH the metal rod ends and even the little plastic cap things on the rod ends.

When I did my research I found that a lot of aftermarket shift cables are built using materials from: https://www.controlcables.com/push-pull-cables-1/

When clicking into the technical specs and diagrams they appear to be identical.

If you are ever in the LA area, def hit me up!

Old 05-26-2022, 06:12 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
I have the precision Works cables, from what I can see they are built exactly the same as the numeric ones WITH the metal rod ends and even the little plastic cap things on the rod ends.

When I did my research I found that a lot of aftermarket shift cables are built using materials from: https://www.controlcables.com/push-pull-cables-1/

When clicking into the technical specs and diagrams they appear to be identical.

If you are ever in the LA area, def hit me up!
That is top-tier sleuthing there. I might just ask Numeric if they would consider supplying their standard non-metal rod ends along with new caps and cable insulation if I also buy the shifter from them.

Next time I'm at my supplier in Ontario, CA I'll let you know and we'll go for a beer!
Old 05-27-2022, 10:08 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

For science, I'm going to install the aftermarket shift cables with the GT4 shifter to see how that feels before deciding on the Numeric shifter. I wonder if I'll be the first lunatic to do it backwards like this.
Subscribed
Old 05-27-2022, 10:37 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,216 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
991.2 GT3 I expect you meant. Also been thinking of doing at since I have an Alcantara wheel and everyone keeps saying it will get gross/disgusting. Do people not clean their wheels? Still happy with mine at 22K, in fact I'll replace it with an Alcantara one because I've been so happy with the material.
Yes, don’t be scared of cleaning Alcantara. It’s literally just vinyl, very durable from chemicals, so clean away! If it starts to get smooth spots, easy peasy, just use some sand paper and rough it up. If it gets little fuzzball bits on it, no problem, just use a basic Bic razor (no gel/moisturizer type) to shave the fuzz off. If you shave too much and make a smooth spot, grab that sand paper . Alcantara is super easy to maintain and keep looking good. It is not fragile suede, even though it feels similar.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:47 AM
911T4ME
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 106 Posts

I recently purchased a 991.2 T equipped with Numeric shifter. I've driven many stick cars and although it does "shift like a bolt action rifle", I'm not that happy with it. Takes two hands to get it into reverse and it's noisy (think metallic clanking sound).
Yes, the shifts are precise. I swapped T's with a friend who has stock shifter. I thought it shifted fine and wasn't noisy.

I have and will track my car and I'll say the shifter worked fine at the track. Not sure how the OEM shifter would have felt.

I've heard of others in this post mentioning softer springs and I've seen there are covers available on the numeric cables (which I have) to reduce the metallic noise of shifting. Unfortunately, PO didn't keep stock cables, only shifter.

I've decided to drive it as is right now,, but with my set up I'm not a fan boy (yet).
Old 05-27-2022, 12:00 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

I have the Numeric shifter, stock cables, softer spring. 2 hands to shift into reverse? I'm a weakling and I'd prefer it was harder to shift into reverse actually. Something sounds messed up.
The following users liked this post:
The Ox (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 12:42 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

A few notes:
  • I raised my Function First shift **** up by about half an inch. This had an immediate positive impact on shift feel. The GT4 shifter / racing cable combination made it so that I was going from 2nd to 5th pretty easily. On my 30 min. drive this morning I didn't miss 3rd at all.
  • The GT4 box is still too mushy for me. I'm going to order the Numeric racing shifter, probably with the 1.5mm spring
Most importantly, I'm a bit of a dumb dumb and I might have set myself up for disappointment and frustration that was unnecessary. In my infinite wisdom, I removed the rear seats, radio and trim pieces before taking the car to the shop as I thought I'd save myself an hour or two of labour charges. I reinstalled the radio and centre console pieces and that alone made a difference on the gear whine - even just having a bit of music playing at low volume makes quite a difference. I'm just about to go reinstall the rear seats next and I suspect that'll help, too.

I'm still hopeful the rod ends are compatible between Numeric and Precision Works as I'd still swap out the ends to help with the NVH.

I'll have to reserve final judgment until I get the Numeric shifter installed, but at this point, I would not recommend the GT4 shifter with Numeric or Precision Works cables. It's just not a nice combination... the stiff cables really accentuate how sloppy and terrible the factory shifters are.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:45 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911T4ME
Takes two hands to get it into reverse
That sounds like the cable needs to be adjusted. It should be firm and maybe even a bit notchy, but it shouldn't require "force" as you describe!

Last edited by koala; 05-27-2022 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:59 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

A few notes:
  • I raised my Function First shift **** up by about half an inch. This had an immediate positive impact on shift feel. The GT4 shifter / racing cable combination made it so that I was going from 2nd to 5th pretty easily. On my 30 min. drive this morning I didn't miss 3rd at all.
  • The GT4 box is still too mushy for me. I'm going to order the Numeric racing shifter, probably with the 1.5mm spring
Most importantly, I'm a bit of a dumb dumb and I might have set myself up for disappointment and frustration that was unnecessary. In my infinite wisdom, I removed the rear seats, radio and trim pieces before taking the car to the shop as I thought I'd save myself an hour or two of labour charges. I reinstalled the radio and centre console pieces and that alone made a difference on the gear whine - even just having a bit of music playing at low volume makes quite a difference. I'm just about to go reinstall the rear seats next and I suspect that'll help, too.

I'm still hopeful the rod ends are compatible between Numeric and Precision Works as I'd still swap out the ends to help with the NVH.

I'll have to reserve final judgment until I get the Numeric shifter installed, but at this point, I would not recommend the GT4 shifter with Numeric or Precision Works cables. It's just not a nice combination... the stiff cables really accentuate how sloppy and terrible the factory shifters are.

Yah the rear seats etc is a all soft materials that will cancel out a lot of that whine. Worst case you can go underneath the car and wrap some fuel line or other thick tubing around the metal cables. You may have to pop off the ends from the trans to slide them on or you could prob even just slice the tubing down the middle and zip tie them on. Either way, that should eliminate most of that whine if it bothers you. I personally love it, but with my headers and exhaust I really can't hear anything LOL
Old 05-27-2022, 02:21 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 911T4ME
I recently purchased a 991.2 T equipped with Numeric shifter. I've driven many stick cars and although it does "shift like a bolt action rifle", I'm not that happy with it. Takes two hands to get it into reverse and it's noisy (think metallic clanking sound).
Yes, the shifts are precise. I swapped T's with a friend who has stock shifter. I thought it shifted fine and wasn't noisy.

I have and will track my car and I'll say the shifter worked fine at the track. Not sure how the OEM shifter would have felt.

I've heard of others in this post mentioning softer springs and I've seen there are covers available on the numeric cables (which I have) to reduce the metallic noise of shifting. Unfortunately, PO didn't keep stock cables, only shifter.

I've decided to drive it as is right now,, but with my set up I'm not a fan boy (yet).
2 hands for reverse, maybe just a little hyperbole, noisy? Oh brother...
Old 05-27-2022, 02:57 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 365 Posts

slightly off topic but when you engage a gear is it indicated on the dash before you release the clutch? on mine it only displays after the clutch is released so pretty useless if the purpose is to give you a chance to prevent a money shift.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:37 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jfischet
slightly off topic but when you engage a gear is it indicated on the dash before you release the clutch? on mine it only displays after the clutch is released so pretty useless if the purpose is to give you a chance to prevent a money shift.
Unfortunately not. That would be amazing! I guess the one upside to ridiculously tall gearing is that it's a lot less likely you're going to do permanent damage at or below the speed limit
Old 05-27-2022, 11:42 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Numeric

I went with the numeric shifter with the cables and the function first shifter
A world of difference!
From mush to …..Crisp and precise!

Last edited by roketman; 05-27-2022 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:59 AM
911T4ME
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 106 Posts

That sounds like the cable needs to be adjusted. It should be firm and maybe even a bit notchy, but it shouldn't require "force" as you describe!
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:46 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Alright folks, I have now run the gauntlet on shifter combinations. I just picked up the car this afternoon. It is now running the Numeric shifter w/ 2mm spring + Precision Works cables w/ metal cable connectors.

I went from stock > GT4 > GT4 w/ Precision Works Cables and now to the Ultimate™ setup.

This setup is insane. Shortest throws I've ever experienced in any vehicle. Firm, no wiggle, "bolt-action" for certain.

The GT4 shifter is like a 10% improvement over the stock shifter. The cables take it to 65%. This combo is now 110%.
The following users liked this post:
Guards_Red_991 (04-14-2023)

Quick Reply: 7MT: GT4 vs Numeric Short Shifter, which is best?