Sponsored by:

bad Friday ending

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 04:40 PM
hcamp19
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The concern is that their threads will seize in the aluminum housing if left unchanged for too long. Dissimilar metals are never 100% compatible, in terms of thermal and electrical properties. Antiseize can help with that, but it can also affect the plug's ability to shed heat, as I understand it.

Probably the #1 reason is the guaranteed employment clause in the dealership license agreement with Porsche. Somebody has to pay for all that free espresso, the 18' gas fireplace, and those awesome service bay doors that open in like 300 milliseconds when you pull up to them.
I Agree. However, erroring on the side of caution I changed them because I had done the research and read the metallurgy comments/concerns. BTW, the old plugs looked great.
Old 02-20-2022, 04:58 PM
hcamp19
Advanced

Originally Posted by NI3
Hope this follows my gut feeling that it is minor. Good luck Brother.
I had it towed to the shop on Friday. The mechanic hooked it up to his diagnostic and said all he showed was a miss on #5! Note my earlier posts with roughness on #3 and #5 before and after I had switched the plug and coil between #3 and #2 with no change (yes, I cleared codes in between the switch but not after so the mechanic would see what I was seeing. My thinking was if the switch moved the issue to #2, I would put a new plug and coil there and then address #5). He will get into it on Monday and let me know what he finds. Thank you all for your concern and stay tuned (bad pun not intended)...
The following users liked this post:
Watson (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 05:16 PM
hcamp19
Advanced

Originally Posted by RennListUser01
This is an interesting mystery! Really irritating to the OP, though. We feel for ya, brother!

So, the car ran fine for 35 miles, then spirited driving ... THEN malfunctioned.
- multiple warnings point to something upstream of the coils? (I don't gave a frame of reference on 911s-when one coil is bad, does it feel like running on 5?, and does one bad coil cause all those other warnings?) Seems like more than one cylinder is affected.
- heat caused something to fail (like a position sensor)
- vibration caused an upstream connector to slip apart?
- vibration caused a wire that was moved to rub?
- vacuum hoses? (these are easy to forget or to put on then pull part way off while closing up from the work)
- brake fluid ... hmmm ... does this service get close to wiring in the frunk?
- fuses all good? (something shorted after spirited driving?)
- plugs from same "batch?"
- plugs not correct range? wrong length? (I know, OP - not trying to be offensive, just riffing)
- any water involved that could affect electrical connections?
- fans reconnected?

OK - everyone is thinking of "the answer." Hope it is something simple. Here's a link for a coil pack problem - sounds a bit like yours - coil failure starts ECU light show ... https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1065...s-wrong-2.html

Question from a newbie - why would one change plugs with 10,000 miles if the engine was running ok?
Yup, yup and yup, x I didn't check fuse but plugs were correct. I even pulled the rear cover and wing off again to see if there was anything i did during the air filter swap. All good there too. Probably something simple and lesson learned I hope. My wife and I took our classic Corvette Stingray out for a drive yesterday and was finally starting to feel good until a Ferrari SF90 passed us (2 lanes same direction) without so much as a glance! Oh well...

The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (10-31-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 05:26 PM
RennListUser01
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Fingers crossed for ya!

Now, looking back on it ... better to just leave things that "Aren't Broke" alone? :-)

So, we're now we're maybe talking odds on:
- wire to the coil (somewhere?)
- bad coil (must have failed after the 35 mile and during the spirited driving)
- plug itself (new plug failure?)
- plug not fully seated (a long shot, but I've done this before on non-ECU based engines and it doesn't run right)
- coil not attached well enough (or something in the boot causing?)

Can one "meter" the coil prior to replacing?

Hmmm .... broad categories?

1. Something randomly failed, or became disconnected, etc during the spirited driving.
2. A new part you installed failed.
3. Something you did during installation caused the failure, but only AFTER 35 miles and then spirited driving.
4. Some else is causing #5 to misfire.

This is FUN - probably wrong word? Probably would NOT be fun if it was my Porsche!
Old 02-20-2022, 07:28 PM
hcamp19
Advanced

Fingers crossed for ya!

Now, looking back on it ... better to just leave things that "Aren't Broke" alone? :-)

Yeah, x Porsche says 4 years or 30k miles!?

So, we're now we're maybe talking odds on:
- wire to the coil (somewhere?)......maybe
- bad coil (must have failed after the 35 mile and during the spirited driving)....probably
- plug itself (new plug failure?)....possibly
- plug not fully seated (a long shot, but I've done this before on non-ECU based engines and it doesn't run right)....Nope, torqued 'em sure
- coil not attached well enough (or something in the boot causing?)...double checked that after issue

Can one "meter" the coil prior to replacing?...the coil can be bench tested but one needs to know which 2 blades/terminals to check resistance at

Hmmm .... broad categories?

1. Something randomly failed, or became disconnected, etc during the spirited driving.
2. A new part you installed failed.
3. Something you did during installation caused the failure, but only AFTER 35 miles and then spirited driving.
4. Some else is causing #5 to misfire.

This is FUN - probably wrong word? Probably would NOT be fun if it was my Porsche!
You are correct, wrong word, LOL. The weird thing is why 35 miles, then fail? So bad connection makes sense but checked everything near where I touched. Item 2 above (new plug or old coil) gets my vote and my hope. One thing for sure, I am now an expert at accessing the plugs and removing the bumper cover on this car. I even set up a nifty wheel R&R device using a race ramp tire wheel crib and a small mover's dolly to save my back.

Last edited by hcamp19; 02-20-2022 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:54 PM
RennListUser01
Pro

There as so many threads on bad coils - are they this prone to failure? Apparently way more so than a single coil approach? (I've never had a bad coil, and have changed hundreds of sets of points - and (probably unnecessarily, condensers). Makes one wonder if there is a wire connection issue?

So, cracked insulator around the plug? Broken wire. Bent pin on the connector?

This first video seems to indicate there is significant opportunity to bend the coil pack plug connector enough to potentially damage something ... pretty tight quarters on a 997 - or to not perfectly connect the wiring fitting to the coil ... I could not find a video with same level of detail for 991.

This video is short on detail compared to the 997, above, but does infer tight quarters - easy to imagine alignment of loose clip, bent pin, gunk getting into the connector, etc.

Last edited by RennListUser01; 02-20-2022 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:31 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by hcamp19
I had it towed to the shop on Friday. The mechanic hooked it up to his diagnostic and said all he showed was a miss on #5! Note my earlier posts with roughness on #3 and #5 before and after I had switched the plug and coil between #3 and #2 with no change (yes, I cleared codes in between the switch but not after so the mechanic would see what I was seeing. My thinking was if the switch moved the issue to #2, I would put a new plug and coil there and then address #5). He will get into it on Monday and let me know what he finds. Thank you all for your concern and stay tuned (bad pun not intended)...
So, after the fault, you didn't replace all the coils?
Old 02-20-2022, 10:55 PM
RennListUser01
Pro

Why would one replace all the coils?

I could certainly see replacing the coil that is identified with the misfiring cylinder, but all of them? Is there a way to test the coil?
Old 02-20-2022, 11:03 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Why would one replace all the coils?

I could certainly see replacing the coil that is identified with the misfiring cylinder, but all of them? Is there a way to test the coil?
Yes, it's my impression that it's generally accepted amongst Porsche 911 DIY'ers to replace all coils every other spark plug change.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:08 PM
RennListUser01
Pro

Not sure I understand - what is the Porsche procedure for a failed coil? I would assume it is replacement?

Been thinking about past ignition issues - had a V6 engine just instantly develop a "miss." Carbon fiber center spark plug wire started "breaking down" (not transferring high voltage) electrical energy from coil to plug. Carefully examined, but no visible damage - replacement fixed. Did not replace others - worked fine for another 7 years and 120,000 miles. Just a vignette.

Anyone have photos or engineering analysis material on construction of these coil over designs? Is there a specific failure mode - ie is it really the coil part, or internal connection fittings between the coil and the plug end?

And, anyone reviewed coil over failures to see if they are more common on one brand or another?

Finally, I just took a look (newbie) at the various spark plug offerings ... is there really a CHOICE between four ground, two ground, and one ground styles? I can't find mention of the specific plug in my manual but all options (copper, plat, double plat, and iridium all show single ground designs). HCAMP - did you replace with single, two, or four ground design?

Last edited by RennListUser01; 02-21-2022 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:24 PM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 124 Posts

Not sure I understand - what is the Porsche procedure for a failed coil? I would assume it is replacement?

Been thinking about past ignition issues - had a V6 engine just instantly develop a "miss." Carbon fiber center spark plug wire started "breaking down" (not transferring high voltage) electrical energy from coil to plug. Carefully examined, but no visible damage - replacement fixed. Did not replace others - worked fine for another 7 years and 120,000 miles. Just a vignette.

Anyone have photos or engineering analysis material on construction of these coil over designs? Is there a specific failure mode - ie is it really the coil part, or internal connection fittings between the coil and the plug end?

And, anyone reviewed coil over failures to see if they are more common on one brand or another?

Finally, I just took a look (newbie) at the various spark plug offerings ... is there really a CHOICE between four ground, two ground, and one ground styles? I can't find mention of the specific plug in my manual but all options (copper, plat, double plat, and iridium all show single ground designs). HCAMP - did you replace with single, two, or four ground design?
It doesn’t look like the 991 has any service interval for coils but damaged ignition coils need to be replaced. A damaged coil and resulting dead cylinders miss fire can cause major engine damage. (The OP never reported any P030X errors however)

Eventually the coils plastic housing will start to crack around 60-70,000 miles. Ignition coils are consumables IMHO.

As far as plugs go, always use the original spec plugs. IMHO There is no extra power to be had by choosing other brand plugs and the different conductivity/resistivity of the plugs can throw off the normal operation of the engine.

Last edited by 991Targa4S; 02-21-2022 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:47 PM
RennListUser01
Pro

So, some more learning for me ...

911.2 C has 12 point spark plugs?

Here's a non-911.2 video relating to coil and plug replacement - I must admit it is the very first time I have heard of anyone using Milk of Magnesia on the plug threads ...
Old 02-21-2022, 02:49 PM
hcamp19
Advanced

Originally Posted by WP0
Yes, it's my impression that it's generally accepted amongst Porsche 911 DIY'ers to replace all coils every other spark plug change.

I agree, doesn't make sense nor is it called for in the maintenance stuff i have read to replace coils as PM. Additionally, this was the first spark plug change for this car.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:50 PM
hcamp19
Advanced

Honestly, I don't know about the grounding question, just used OEM Bosch plug part #.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:51 PM
RennListUser01
Pro

hcamp19,

Were your replacement plugs exactly the same? How many sides on the outside casing and how many grounds?

And, another surprise to me is how the coil connector fits to the plug - a new shape, as well?

Last edited by RennListUser01; 02-21-2022 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: bad Friday ending