Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Owners, post your Knobs Please (OEM or Aftermarket)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 06:20 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Highly recommend checking out this thread over in the 991 GT3 forum: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ob-fitted.html
Yup! that's where I got the inspiration for my wooden one from a craftsman in Mexico. Took a couple months to get made but it's gorgeous and feels great in hand.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:53 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 161 Posts

I have a project in the works...but for now its the standard Carrera T shifter for me.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:50 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarawnty
FF Delrin

@Sarawnty I really like the clean look of this delrin ****. How long have you had it? I'm curious how well the finish holds up over time. Also, do you have a Numeric shifter below? I worry that the non-metal construction would take away from the nice mechanical feel that the Numeric shifter provides.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:16 AM
Sarawnty
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
@Sarawnty I really like the clean look of this delrin ****. How long have you had it? I'm curious how well the finish holds up over time. Also, do you have a Numeric shifter below? I worry that the non-metal construction would take away from the nice mechanical feel that the Numeric shifter provides.

Yes, I have the Numeric shifter and cables which are transformative. I have the **** set about 3/8” higher than the lowest setting on the shifter shaft. Not sure if related to the delrin, but I found the shifting a bit too notchy for my liking. Raising the **** slightly really smoothed out the shifting. It’s perfect for my liking. Also the FF **** feels much more natural in my hand than the stock ****. The finish is holding up well after a year of use.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:07 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

I went with a Function First **** in aluminium, but I really should have gone with Delrin. The aluminium is a bit too heavy for me, and it's either freezing cold or burning hot. Love the look of it, though.

Old 01-28-2022, 01:18 PM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 93 Posts

Function First

Old 01-28-2022, 06:17 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by eonflux
The OEM shifter on my GTS is OK.
I like the Alcantara, but the plastic cap on top feels a bit cheapy.

(pic for another thread, but useful here)
Same here and agree. I like the Alcantara but the insert feels like cheap plastic. ☹️

Old 01-28-2022, 06:29 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by CAA
Same here and agree. I like the Alcantara but the insert feels like cheap plastic. ☹️
I was determined to scan and print/cast that part in metal but I lost my passion for it after realizing that even if the feel of it is improved, there's still plastic going down to the shifter and it will never feel as solid as the Function First (or other non-plastic *****) and it won't ever feel as good. I mean there's till the inclination to replace the whole thing with metal and just keep the wrap-around part--the goal would be to have the OEM look, but the weight and feel of metal. If I had time for more projects, maybe someday...
Old 01-28-2022, 07:00 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
I was determined to scan and print/cast that part in metal but I lost my passion for it after realizing that even if the feel of it is improved, there's still plastic going down to the shifter and it will never feel as solid as the Function First (or other non-plastic *****) and it won't ever feel as good. I mean there's till the inclination to replace the whole thing with metal and just keep the wrap-around part--the goal would be to have the OEM look, but the weight and feel of metal. If I had time for more projects, maybe someday...
My car has the alcantara steering wheel as well so at a minimum I’d prefer to keep that material with the shifter boot.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:52 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 459 Likes on 310 Posts

Love the weight but can get HOT if the sun shines on it during summer.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:20 AM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 138 Posts

I have this Raceseng Slammer **** in my Boxster. I love the weight and feel.

Tried this other Raseseng ****. Love the look but I guess I was just too used to the weighty feel of the Slammer. This one is available on the marketplace.

And this one with red stitching and numerals is soon to be on the way from DB Carbon for my 991.1 GTS.

Old 02-10-2022, 06:43 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 569 Likes on 196 Posts

Another Function First, but in Delrin with the red shift pattern. My car is Guards Red with red seatbelts and the T comes with a red shift pattern, hence the reason for choosing red. I quite like the look of the stock ****, but it has no heft and the plastic piece had started to wiggle on mine.

Eek, the focus on that first one is way off. I'll fix that when I get the chance.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Zylinderkopfdichtung; 02-10-2022 at 06:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sarawnty (02-10-2022)
Old 02-12-2023, 05:58 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Bumping this thread. Leaning towards the FF in aluminum mainly because I feel like eliminating any remaining plastic between shifter and driver will yield a more desirable mechanically precise shifting feel. Don't know if that's really what will happen but I can only guess.

I'm having a little trouble connecting with the idea that the aluminum creates "less notchy shifts" and that the delrin (plastic) yields faster shifts presumably because it's lighter. I suppose the lighter part makes sense for speed but I don't understand the notchy part. Maybe I just don't understand what a notchy shift feels like.

Old 02-12-2023, 06:21 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,991 Likes on 947 Posts

I ended up going with Manuel's wooden ****: Love it

The following users liked this post:
IRunalot (02-15-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 09:27 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by desmotesta
I ended up going with Manuel's wooden ****: Love it

I love the look of these wooden ***** but I just don't feel like the all colors of my car including the all-black interior would set it off the way I'd like.

Quick Reply: Manual Owners, post your Knobs Please (OEM or Aftermarket)