Sponsored by:

Help! Cpo car with dent

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 01:52 PM
FlyDL757
Advanced

Received 71 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Help! Cpo car with dent

Help! Just flew in to pickup a CPO car and it has a noticeable front bumper dent that was not prior disclosed.

Out to lunch to cool off while they bring in their PDR guy.

I am flabbergasted. Sales manager said “I’ll give you $250 - take it or leave it.” Not even - go have lunch on me while we fix it.

Thoughts? GM is out today and I was planning to drive home 8 hours with it…

TIA
Old 01-04-2022, 02:40 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

A good PDR guy can make it disappear like it never happened.

If that’s what you got, don’t sweat it. If it is more than that….what lurks beneath?
Old 01-04-2022, 03:29 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 81 Posts

Nice attitudes of these guys. My initial thought would be if they hid that, what else are they hiding? I know cars are hard to find, but I'd walk. Maybe it wasn't meant to be.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Post a pic?
Old 01-04-2022, 07:13 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 201 Posts

PDR a bumper? Something is not connecting here. It's a used car, are you being over critical? On a new car I completely agree on a used car its your responsibility to look it over. You did and now you decide if it is a deal breaker.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:13 PM
lunker325
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Not a good attitude or way to talk to a customer for sure. However I’d say the $250 would cover the PDR if it were coming out of your pocket, so I think it’s a fair offer.

General question, should the CPO inspection have caught that?
Old 01-04-2022, 09:31 PM
GSBruce
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd walk. Unless you're good with this dishonesty and disrespect shown you by the dealer. As a rennlist.con member, you should name the dealer and individual(s) involved.

Last edited by GSBruce; 01-04-2022 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:27 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 223 Posts

Since you flew in to pick up the car this morning I presume you've made your decision already, but in case you haven't, I think there are a number of factors in which you should consider before walking away or not. You haven't said much about the car. Is it the exact spec you've been looking for? How long have you been searching? Was it a good price? Specs? Does everything else check out? If the answer to these, and other questions you may have, are mostly positive, then I wouldn't walk away. Unfortunately, it's mostly a sellers market. I assume they are doing the PDR + $250 on top? You could negotiate for some additional accessories. What would make you happy? Negotiate with them and see what they say.

Now if there are nagging questions that spring up because of the dent, then maybe it's better to bite the bullet and walk away from this car; there are definitely other cars out there, you just need to wait for a bit and keep searching.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:35 PM
FlyDL757
Advanced

Received 71 Likes on 16 Posts

So..many thanks for the replies and for the DMs(especially helpful).

Long story short, the dealer ended up giving me a discount for the dent after he brought in his PDR guy to inspect, who said he “didn’t have the tools to do it today.” I kind of thought that was BS, but accepting the discount and moving on was a less expensive/painful option vs flying back home.

So - paperwork signed…. I drive not even 1 mile down the road and I start getting a significant vibration and numerous fault codes in the dash…. Turned around and went right back. Gave them 30 minutes to diagnose, but they couldn’t do so. Asked the dealer to void everything, which they did, and returned my deposits. A very long and frustrating day, but I think my lesson learned is…PPI, even with CPO. I’m out a bit of $ for hotel, flights, etc., but I guess this is ‘coming out ahead’ considering a problematic alternative. I can’t imagine breaking down in a remote area in a car I had just spent a large $ for…just not worth the stress.

Back to the search after a few nights of drinks…
The following 8 users liked this post by FlyDL757:
CTDan (01-05-2022), Frank996 (01-05-2022), George from MD (01-07-2022), JuanK20 (01-05-2022), spyderbret (01-06-2022), Surj-993C2S (01-06-2022), T3X4S (01-05-2022), The Ox (01-05-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-04-2022, 10:43 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

That's the issue with out of state purchases. I once flew to NJ to a BMW dealership only to find out the car was a disaster. I was told take it or leave it and leave it I did. If they are con dealerships, there's nothing you can do but one thing for sure, don't buy it under pressure as that's the psychy they use-- I always walk away without giving them ****ers any business.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:03 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Pnagrows

So - paperwork signed…. I drive not even 1 mile down the road…….
You didn’t test drive it? You didn’t PPI it?

A good lesson and a very lucky escape.

Good luck finding the right one!!
Old 01-05-2022, 12:11 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 665 Posts

Yes, even with CPO do a PPI. Always.
The following users liked this post:
needmoregarage (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 12:31 AM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 197 Posts

… but I think my lesson learned is…PPI, even with CPO. I’m out a bit of $ for hotel, flights, etc., but I guess this is ‘coming out ahead’ considering a problematic alternative…
A tough lesson indeed, but thank you for sharing. Years ago I was on a hunt for 987.1 Cayman and found a great CPO’d one at a nearby Porsche dealer. I drove to see it only to watch it being loaded on a car transport. I looked it over and saw a massive gash in the hood; a 12” long lengthwise gash that dented the metal and went right through the primer.

The same day I saw somebody posting about their “New to me Cayman S coming from Houston!” and discovered they had bought that car. The buyer had no idea.

CPO is basically a check of consumables and a warranty. It’s little indication to the actual condition of the car.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:28 AM
regajohn
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

When I bought my 2014 CPO the Dallas area dealer touched up a couple of rock chips and fixed/re-sprayed the bottom edge of the splitter (only really noticeable if you actually laid on the ground and looked at the bottom surface of it), no questions asked. I wasn’t waiting for it (I had it shipped) so they could take their time to do it. I’m guessing that there were some maintenance things that probably weren’t done (PDCC reservoir tank replacement??), but knock on wood the only issue I’ve had so far is a dynamic engine mount failure that occurred within the first three months and that was fixed no problem under CPO warranty.

Pretty freaking ridiculous that your dash could light up like a Christmas tree after they did a “thorough 150 point inspection.” I wonder if Porsche USA corporate would be interested (fraud by the dealer??), as I know some dealers pencil-whip the CPO
Old 01-05-2022, 04:14 AM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 223 Posts

So..many thanks for the replies and for the DMs(especially helpful).

Long story short, the dealer ended up giving me a discount for the dent after he brought in his PDR guy to inspect, who said he “didn’t have the tools to do it today.” I kind of thought that was BS, but accepting the discount and moving on was a less expensive/painful option vs flying back home.

So - paperwork signed…. I drive not even 1 mile down the road and I start getting a significant vibration and numerous fault codes in the dash…. Turned around and went right back. Gave them 30 minutes to diagnose, but they couldn’t do so. Asked the dealer to void everything, which they did, and returned my deposits. A very long and frustrating day, but I think my lesson learned is…PPI, even with CPO. I’m out a bit of $ for hotel, flights, etc., but I guess this is ‘coming out ahead’ considering a problematic alternative. I can’t imagine breaking down in a remote area in a car I had just spent a large $ for…just not worth the stress.

Back to the search after a few nights of drinks…
Wow, sounds like you dodged a bullet! Maybe you should tell everyone which car/dealer to avoid. You owe them nothing.
The following users liked this post:
GSBruce (01-05-2022)

Quick Reply: Help! Cpo car with dent