Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Cpo car with dent

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 06:58 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 128 Posts

Speaking of dealerships doing illegal things, does anybody have any referrals for consumer protection/auto lawyers in the state of Washington?

I’m about to sue an out of state Porsche dealership and I need representation.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:33 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 201 Posts

To those stressing that CPO isn't an inspection, thank you. To those who think a CPO is a new car, get over it. It is a used car that has been through whatever treatment a past owner put it through. Fly to see it before purchase or have a trusted inspector do the same. Its a used car. They have wear. (I still don't understand PDR on a bumper). This doesn't sound like a lemon or a bad deal. This sounds like high expectations that are easily not met. I think we have buyer's remorse here. OP was in love with the idea of what this car was going to be not the reality that it is a pre-owned car. Might an individual seller put more effort into presentation and deliver you a car that they lovingly cared for, yes they might. Assuming a Porsche dealer has a responsibility to provide you a NEW used car makes no sense. You have bought what they have sold you. Its certainly reasonable for you to walk away if you feel it is best and you have the opportunity. And I don't disagree that the dealer would have happier customers if every car on the lot was fully sorted. But its not reasonable for the dealer to have the time or resources to go over every car they way we go over our own.
The following users liked this post:
lunker325 (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 10:24 PM
FlyDL757
Advanced

Received 71 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by anythingbuttime
To those stressing that CPO isn't an inspection, thank you. To those who think a CPO is a new car, get over it. It is a used car that has been through whatever treatment a past owner put it through. Fly to see it before purchase or have a trusted inspector do the same. Its a used car. They have wear. (I still don't understand PDR on a bumper). This doesn't sound like a lemon or a bad deal. This sounds like high expectations that are easily not met. I think we have buyer's remorse here. OP was in love with the idea of what this car was going to be not the reality that it is a pre-owned car. Might an individual seller put more effort into presentation and deliver you a car that they lovingly cared for, yes they might. Assuming a Porsche dealer has a responsibility to provide you a NEW used car makes no sense. You have bought what they have sold you. Its certainly reasonable for you to walk away if you feel it is best and you have the opportunity. And I don't disagree that the dealer would have happier customers if every car on the lot was fully sorted. But its not reasonable for the dealer to have the time or resources to go over every car they way we go over our own.
Yeah, no. When spending 120k on a vehicle, used or not, expecting it to be in the condition advertised is not being a diva. Nor is expecting things like the car being detailed prior to your arrival when you’ve made a significant down payment and flown in… this is a Porsche dealer, not Joes used-car-mart. Cars from branded dealerships command a premium with the expectation there is a standard.

Last edited by FlyDL757; 01-06-2022 at 10:25 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by FlyDL757:
991_T (01-08-2022), 996scott (01-07-2022), barrett (04-10-2022), m5biemer (01-07-2022), Wolpertinger (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 12:46 AM
NF4710
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyDL757
Yeah, no. When spending 120k on a vehicle, used or not, expecting it to be in the condition advertised is not being a diva. Nor is expecting things like the car being detailed prior to your arrival when you’ve made a significant down payment and flown in… this is a Porsche dealer, not Joes used-car-mart. Cars from branded dealerships command a premium with the expectation there is a standard.
In my experience Joe’s used car marts are FAR more honest than Porsche dealers. Whether new car sales, used car sales, or servicing I’ve found Porsche dealers to be unscrupulous in every action. I’d rather buy a car from a smoky used car dealership from a guy wearing a leisure suit and 2 pounds of tacky gold jewelry. PCNA should be embarrassed by its dealer network. I’m sure there are decent dealers out there….but they are a minority with this overvalued brand.

NF
The following 2 users liked this post by NF4710:
Bud Taylor (01-08-2022), maschinetheist (01-10-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 05:12 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyDL757
As I said, you have set yourself up to be disappointed. Buy a new car, or find a car that was someones pride and joy and saw more time under a cover than on the road.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:37 PM
Elmiko
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

My CPO 2015 991 was 3 years old and almost pristine when I bought it. Some road rash on the hood that was barely noticeable, but that was it. I never expected them to repaint the car. However, I would expect a decent Porsche dealer to repair or replace an obviously dented bumper, quarter panel, or any other body part prior to listing it for sale as a CPO unit. Even Amazon certifies that its "renewed" products are free of noticeable blemishes or markings.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:44 PM
sunspot2013
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 67 Posts

I browse car lots from time to time and what I have noticed in the past year is the condition of cars on the lot generally is worse. I am not sure if it is because the shortage of used cars means lesser quality examples are what rise up to the surface or if it is just dealers are putting less into reconditioning used cars on the theory that with the shortage they will fly off the lot anyway (probably a bit of both). Agree with what everyone else has said above though as a general matter: CPO is a limited extended warranty and nothing else. Certainly CPO doesn't imply the car will be top level cosmetic condition.
The following users liked this post:
991_T (01-08-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 11:30 AM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by sunspot2013
I browse car lots from time to time and what I have noticed in the past year is the condition of cars on the lot generally is worse. I am not sure if it is because the shortage of used cars means lesser quality examples are what rise up to the surface or if it is just dealers are putting less into reconditioning used cars on the theory that with the shortage they will fly off the lot anyway (probably a bit of both). Agree with what everyone else has said above though as a general matter: CPO is a limited extended warranty and nothing else. Certainly CPO doesn't imply the car will be top level cosmetic condition.

Spot on here.. anyone who thinks CPOing a car means it's looked at super closely and all issues taken care of is sadly mistaken (gotta love those white glove inspection commercials LOL). i've seen (first hand with my own eyeballs) countless luxury cars go through the "CPO Inspection" in 15 minutes. time might be spent on tires/oil change ect...but that's about it. Rovers, Benzs and BMW's just to name a few. lets not pretend P cars/dealers are any different. you are paying for a warranty/current maintenance and not much else in many/most cases.
Old 01-08-2022, 03:51 PM
991_T
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Bummer for the OP to have a bad purchasing experience when we all know too well how excited we can be @40-60yrs old buying a car we have always wanted and now at this time in our lives being able to afford a car like a 911.

I apologize in advance for the lengthy paragraph that follows because, but it just doesn't happen very often

I have bought a few cars unseen other than photos and have been lucky both times, the most recent was the purchase of a 2018 991.2 911-T a few months ago and due to my responsibilities in my home state I was unable to travel to RI to inspect the car I was about to purchase,

I searched nationally for months calling several Car & Porsche dealerships looking for basically bare minimum equipped based "T" and finally one popped up on AutoNation or CarGurus (i can't remember) where the build sheet was available in the ad with no photos available it stated "photos pending" so I called the dealer and talked to a sales guy, at that time the car wasn't entered into the dealer's inventory and that the internet sale department had posted the ad in several online websites prior the car being ready.

To add I would avoid non-Porsche dealerships, I called on a few T's for sale at other mfg's used car department and it was like talking to 3yr old's trying to get answers to my questions.

The car was in the detail shop the salesman then walked to the shop and looked over the car took photos and then called me back, He sent me the photos and I said I'll take it and gave him a deposit over the phone to lock it up.

While at the shop the salesman called me and said, "hey there's some pretty good chips in the paint on the front bumper and we're going to re-spray it" Humm ok is there anything else ? he replied no not that I can see !!

As the days went by the salesman continually emailed or called me with updates on the car during that time, I decided to CPO the car with 8mos left on the factory warranty the CPO added 2 more years which I thought was a good idea.

During the CPO the car was serviced and inspected. Brake fluid flush, Brake Pads replaced, Alignment and 4 New Tires there are a few more things but I can't remember lol.

The dealer procured a shipping co and the pick-up and delivery date were on the schedule.

I went through the finance department with the salesman on speaker with the finance guy to finalize the deal.

When the car was about to be picked up for delivery there were about 100 photos taken by the sales manager and sent to me to see if I had any questions or concerns before the car left the dealership.

There weren't any concerns after I looked over all the photos, the car was basically almost perfect and as I would expect being a used 1 owner car from Florida that was then ship to a sister dealership in Rode Island NY.

I have never experienced a better purchase before ever and I would highly recommend Taylor Ervin from Porsche South Shore

Taylor's professionalism and communication skills surpass most people that I've ever done business with.

Don't give up OP you will find that Car you've been looking for.

Below is the salesman that I dealt with, if they have a 911 you're interested in this is your guy.

Taylor Ervin
Sales Professional

Porsche South Shore

185 W. Sunrise Hwy. | Freeport, NY 11520

Main: 516.546.1700 | Cell: 347-869-7986 | Fax: 800-293-0140

Email: tervin@mcgovernauto.com

www.porschesouthshore.com

Last edited by 991_T; 01-08-2022 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:56 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by The Ox
Nice attitudes of these guys. My initial thought would be if they hid that, what else are they hiding? I know cars are hard to find, but I'd walk. Maybe it wasn't meant to be.
This. That attitude in my opinion is a forewarning.

Quick Reply: Help! Cpo car with dent