Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW TO DIY 40K MILE SERVICE ON YOUR PORSCHE 911 | 991 OIL CHANGE, FILERS, SPARK PLUG

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2022 | 02:33 PM
Kurvenflitzer
Advanced

Awesome video.....especially helpful I found was pointing out what tools are needed - for someone like myself, that is just getting into doing it myself. Cool channel - including your garage build!!
Old 01-03-2022 | 01:44 AM
TXGerman
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting. I did a full major service on my '12 991.1 a few months back. Since my time based interval for my belt was due soon, I knocked it out at the same time. Very little incremental cost (~$25 IIRC), only a little more additional time given that the back end was already mostly exposed and it was actually quite easy to do. I did replace my coil packs, they were the single most expensive part of my service and I'm still not convinced it was truly necessary or money well spent. Either way, with all the air filters (cabin and engine), plugs, CP's, oil, oil filter, LN drain plug, a couple tools, etc., I still saved well over $3k by not going to the stealership. So I have that going for me....plus a few new tools too!

I look forward to future videos.
Old 01-10-2022 | 12:25 AM
maggieguy
5th Gear

Default Empowered by this community

So, I waded into the DIY 40K service pool this afternoon encouraged by this amazing group of generous forum members. Based on this and several other threads, I decided that once I was out from under my CPO warranty, I should take the service cost and invest it into a lift (new Quick Jack TL series), tools (lots of them) and the necessary parts. After buying all of these, I was still ahead of where I would have been going to the dealership. And, I am now master of my own destiny for most routine maintenance going forward.

I was slow and methodical. Hardest part was the spark plugs. That took some odd combinations of flexhead ratchets and extenders, but next time, I'm confident it will go faster. I also became intimately familiar with areas of my beautiful car that I had not been before. Overall, I am amazed at how pristine the majority of the "dirty" bits are. My next big task will be all four corners for brakes later this year. I am also going to be acquiring a set of winter wheels and tires now that I can have the entire car in the air in less than 10 minutes.

Can't thank this group enough for generously sharing their insights and knowledge.

Happy driving to all of you.
The following 3 users liked this post by maggieguy:
CSK 911 C4S (01-10-2022), docskeet (01-10-2022), jimmiejam (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022 | 07:08 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by desmotesta
I did this service last summer myself @ 24K miles and always wondered if I should have also replaced the Coilpacks. Still bothers me that I didnt

Good video tutorial for anyone to follow and DIY.. more than the $$$$ saved, doing it yourself (Read doing it slow and correctly, with care) is priceless
I replaced my coilpacks around 60k miles and I am Sure there were many more miles of use on them, but the "while you're in there" syndrome kicked in. I bet these coilpacks run 75-100k miles easy, but once every 60k miles is prob right for those parts with plenty of headroom to go a few more thousand miles with zero issues.
Old 03-18-2023 | 03:16 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoCalDan
Andrew, I'm curious if you had any issue with the two top openings on the airbox rubbing against the BMC filters. I test fit the stock BMC air filters from my GT3RS and the lock in clips of the two rectangular tops were rubbing against it. The corner lips of the BMC filter are much thicker than the stock air filters. I'm curious if the non-OEM Porsche BMC filters are designed differently. I ultimately cut off the clips on the tops and glued them on so they'll be snug. The tops are sold separately by the dealer if I ever need to replace them for any reason.

I'm a little late to the reply, but the BMC GT3 RS filters are a different fit from the BMC 991.1 filters, so they are not interchangeable.

Quick Reply: HOW TO DIY 40K MILE SERVICE ON YOUR PORSCHE 911 | 991 OIL CHANGE, FILERS, SPARK PLUG