Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Monitors for 2nd set of wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 01:57 PM
JerryM-NJ
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They continue to work perfectly in my car!
The following users liked this post:
Coalmining_smuf (02-02-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 10:19 PM
DR911s
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

On my 2017 C2S [991.2 chassis] I had new tires installed on wheels that I had purchased with sensors and tires from Tire Rack in 2019, almost exactly 5 years ago. After a new set of tires were installed the TPMS worked fine for 3 weeks. The tires installation was performed by the Porsche dealership from whom I purchased the car; they got the balancing perfect unlike other shops I have tried in the past with BMW and Audi vehicles. I then parked the car in an away from home storage garage for a week with a CTEK battery maintenance charger that will automatically reset and resume charging after a power outage. That neighborhood is undergoing a major street reconstruction including new lanes, curbs, extra wide sidewalk [bike path?] and completely new and much larger electrical substation. When I got the car out of storage, the TPMS immediately displayed FAULT! and despite my resetting the system into learning mode multiple times, after the system has tried to relearn, it then displays the fault warnings and MFD message that service is required.

Should the TPMS display in the MFD show which wheel position is not functioning? Or does the TPMS display in the MFD just show "blanks" for each wheel position when any wheel sensor fails to provide data?

I'm doubtful that all 4 wheel position sensors batteries died at the same time. If that is the normal behavior of the TPMS display when a single wheel sensor fails, I'm surprised at Porsche's lack of detail in the display. When the TPMS was working, if the car had not been used for long enough time, the sensors data would be missing from the MFD display for a bit of time and each wheel position would eventually be filled with a pressure number as I drove a mile or two. So, I am thinking that if only one wheel sensor had failed, the rest should continue to be displayed along with the fault warnings.

I have scanned my car with my iCarsoft POR 3.0. Not much help. It confirms there is a fault but doesn't identify what is the cause or location. Each of the wheel sensors is identified, and indicates a battery life of 127 months, and a set point pressure of 2 psig, and numbers unique to each wheel sensor identification. The iCarsoft tool appears to offer the capability of entering the numbers into the ECU or whatever on-car module requires that information if/when you are installing new sensors.

At this moment, I'm in a quandry because I can't determine if the TPMS fault problem in my car is due to one or more failed wheel sensors or the receiver module. I know that module is located inboard of the RF wheel and easily accessible if the front underbelly cover is removed. My understanding [I could be incorrect] is that the receiver module contains the antenna and uses the fact that the distance between the receiver module and each wheel position is different to determine which wheel position sensor data is being received by the central receiver module.

How much does a typical tire shop charge to install new wheel sensors?

I have not seen any evidence of rodents in the storage garage or the car. Everything else in the car appears to be functioning normally.