Sponsored by:

Sport + Surprise with 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 05:56 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Sport + Surprise with 991.2

Somehow I had deluded myself that Sport Chrono in the + Mode was track only, going to Red Line in the first 6 gears, what was I thinking? I took the "chance" and went into Sport + mode today on the street...surprisingly civil...your right foot is the "driver". I didn't floor it....no space for that...the message, don't hesitate to try Sport + out, it's great fun....

At the track in January, I will man up and punch the PSRB while in the Sport + mode.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:17 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Uh? Sport+ will keep it above 4k RPM if using a PDK in Drive, not Manual mode. It's pretty obnoxious and very much not meant for the street.

The sport response button will not change anything or, anecdotally per members here and the SIT pamphlet, it will only make a miniscule change to the shift speed, from something like "really fast" to "almost imperceptibly faster than really fast"
Old 12-11-2021, 06:26 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking Just sayin...

Just playin.....not much space in San Diego for any Sport + driving....the PSRB gets a lot of hype....I'll try it some day and report back....

Sport +, I would never try it out on the city streets, too congested, too much that could go wrong...I will be at the track in January....

Old 12-11-2021, 07:02 PM
wlm50
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 9 Posts

I drive primarily in Sport auto mode with my Carrera T PDK. On back roads, I often go to manual mode in Sport for the extra control. Yet frequently I'll use Sport+ in auto if i'm on a cool road. It's not crazy to have a lower limit of 4000 rpm, and the shifts are great. It's very fun out in the country where there aren't many cars and plenty of curves. Certainly not for driving in town or city. This is my first "auto" transmission in my many sports cars (Alfa, BMW, Porsche). I wasn't sure I would like it. But 90% of the time, I do. And Sport+ is one of the reasons.
Old 12-11-2021, 11:53 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
Uh? Sport+ will keep it above 4k RPM if using a PDK in Drive, not Manual mode. It's pretty obnoxious and very much not meant for the street.

The sport response button will not change anything or, anecdotally per members here and the SIT pamphlet, it will only make a miniscule change to the shift speed, from something like "really fast" to "almost imperceptibly faster than really fast"
I have never once used the sport response button on track. Sports+, to me anyway, is not that big a deal on the street. It still shifts well below redline if you are not WOT and actually makes the car feel like a sports car. In the .1 it is a different story as it won't shift until redline.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:44 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Love my .2

My .1 didn't have Sport Chrono, so all of this is new to me...only had the .2 for a short time....love it.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:33 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I used the sport response button a few times after I first got my 991.2 but not much since. Probably like flooring a Tesla right after you buy one. Sport+ is a different story. I come from doing a lot of track days on sport bikes, so at least I know how to do it. I hit some back roads on the 911 in sport mode and felt out of touch with the car. This using PDK in automatic mode. Switching to Sport+ was a revelation for me because suddenly the car was behaving just like I would have done on a sport bike in terms of revs and downshifting. I hardly ever use it and have no plans to track my car, but on a warm dry day on a deserted back road Sport+ can be really fun.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:01 PM
stellman
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
I have never once used the sport response button on track. Sports+, to me anyway, is not that big a deal on the street. It still shifts well below redline if you are not WOT and actually makes the car feel like a sports car. In the .1 it is a different story as it won't shift until redline.
With new software update, the .1 now behaves very similar to the .2.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:12 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by stellman
With new software update, the .1 now behaves very similar to the .2.
I learned something new today; didn't realize they updated that. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2021, 04:05 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
I learned something new today; didn't realize they updated that. Thanks!
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1275...stop-sale.html
The following users liked this post:
Wujohn (12-12-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 02:53 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

I went from using Sport Mode for a couple years on the street to going Sport +. I kind of got sick of the fake crackle pops from the exhaust with Sport.

Sport + is awesome all around mode if you are driving in Manual mode. In Auto mode, maybe not so because of the high rpms.

But also know Sport + keeps the turbo spooled up to a constant base pressure, so you technically have more on-the-ready oomph than Normal or Sport.

Sport has more aggressive throttle mapping so you get more oomph during the first half of your throttle, but I much prefer the linear mapping of Sport + and knowing that the turbo is always spooled and ready. You can check for yourself. look and compare the boost gauge on Sport + compared to Sport. Will will find at more times the car holds pressure at base speeds with Sport +.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:59 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
I went from using Sport Mode for a couple years on the street to going Sport +. I kind of got sick of the fake crackle pops from the exhaust with Sport.

Sport + is awesome all around mode if you are driving in Manual mode. In Auto mode, maybe not so because of the high rpms.

But also know Sport + keeps the turbo spooled up to a constant base pressure, so you technically have more on-the-ready oomph than Normal or Sport.

Sport has more aggressive throttle mapping so you get more oomph during the first half of your throttle, but I much prefer the linear mapping of Sport + and knowing that the turbo is always spooled and ready. You can check for yourself. look and compare the boost gauge on Sport + compared to Sport. Will will find at more times the car holds pressure at base speeds with Sport +.
Have definitely noticed the boost psi staying at 1 psi when off the throttle coasting etc.

Wonder what the long term sequalae of keeping the turbos spooling will be for longevity?
Old 12-13-2021, 11:35 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Have definitely noticed the boost psi staying at 1 psi when off the throttle coasting etc.

Wonder what the long term sequalae of keeping the turbos spooling will be for longevity?
It definitely isn't good for the car. That said, it's a modern, water-cooled turbo and EGTs are super low while cruising, so other than raised intake temperatures the additional wear is likely negligible.

Quick Reply: Sport + Surprise with 991.2