Sponsored by:

Cost of PCCB replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 07:45 AM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
After 4 + years of glorious use, my dealer says my PCCB rotors are a track day or two away from replacement. I'm done with this season, so next year come spring, I will probably have to replace. I've extended my warrantly 3 years, but this replacement will be out of pocket of course.

any one done a replacement? What gets replaced? is it just rotors and pads? and most importantly, how much did you spend $$$?

thank you

c
I’m a bit surprised they are telling you this. Did they take the rotors off the car and measure carbon content? That is the only way to truly know where the rotors are in their lives.

For reference, my 2016 GT3 has 60 track days in it and 23k miles. It has its original set of PCCB rotors and has gone through two sets of pads. The 991 rotors are pretty tough and almost impossible to wear out unless you abuse them by running pads down to nothing or getting too much heat into them.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:53 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
The fact that I can drive to a circuit, do a full track day, and still, on some clear days, be able to come home and just quick spray my car and wheels clean in my parking garage is worth the PCCB money, IMOH.
I did that with a couple of steel rotored cars for twenty five years. In fact every one I knew at the track removed their PCCBs and used the steel rotors instead.....YMMV. $24K to ostensibly save on clean up duties? For crying out loud. Just paint your calipers yellow if you crave that kind of "clout".

Last edited by George from MD; 12-13-2021 at 07:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
docskeet (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 09:45 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 634 Likes on 356 Posts

After 4 + years of glorious use, my dealer says my PCCB rotors are a track day or two away from replacement. I'm done with this season, so next year come spring, I will probably have to replace. I've extended my warrantly 3 years, but this replacement will be out of pocket of course.

any one done a replacement? What gets replaced? is it just rotors and pads? and most importantly, how much did you spend $$$?

thank you

c
Save yourself a giant stack of cash and consider replacing your OEM PCCB setup with one of our iron disc AP Racing by Essex Radi-CAL Brake Kits. Our customers have replaced their carbon ceramic systems on Porsche, Corvette, BMW, McLaren, etc., and to my knowledge, none of them have ever looked back or regretted the decision. Our systems provide a huge range of performance and convenience benefits vs. the OEM PCCB setup, at a fraction of the cost. For example, one of our complete four wheel systems that included calipers is about half price vs. a set of OEM PCCB discs and pads. They also allow you to leave your OEM setup on the shelf to preserve them for when you sell your car, and when you do sell your car you can sell our brake kit and get about 65% back on what you paid. Using the 991 GT3 as an example, our Radi-CAL Competition Kit shaves over 30 unsprung lbs. vs. the OEM iron system, providing nearly the weight savings of the OEM PCCB setup. There really is no downside to our systems, but much to be gained.

We have two flavors of brake kit, Competition and Road. You can see the difference between the two types of kits here: https://www.essexparts.com/big-brake...-right-for-you

You can see our 991 (not-GT car) brake options here: https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...0S/Iron%20disc

You can see tons of feedback from satisfied Porsche owners on our blog (many of which own a 991 of some sort): https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog

Thanks for your consideration.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

The following 2 users liked this post by JRitt@essex:
Booth9999 (12-17-2021), George from MD (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 09:59 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by iammacey
I have PCCBs on my GT4 and a set of GiroDisc iron rotors that I use. I don't like the added weight, so I'm planning to buy Surface Transforms ceramic rotors for the car. They are around $16k for all four corners and can be resurfaced several times for around $2400 for all four.
Before you go down that path, please consider one of our AP Racing Radi-CAL setups that replace the calipers and discs. Our system weighs 30 lbs. less than the OEM iron GT4 setup, and you get a long list of other benefits vs. the ST discs...you don't have to remove the caliper to change pads, lots of pad options, no more cracked ceramic piston caps, no burned up dust boots, faded paint, etc. You also don't have to ship your discs to England every time you need them serviced, and have your car down for months while waiting for them to return. Also, our system is $11k rather than $16k for just discs, and you get to preserve your OEM calipers! Our GT4 system can be seen here: https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...RS/Iron%20disc

Here's a video we shot on our system vs. the OEM GT car system. It shows in great detail all the benefits our complete system offers vs. any disc-only solution.

George from MD (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 11:45 AM
Alc
Racer

Received 516 Likes on 205 Posts

this thread captured my interest immediately as I have PCCBs and wouldn’t have it any other way. For me, It’s not a clout or cleaning thing it’s an ethos…lightweight and I enjoy keeping my vehicle stock. Now I’m not one to argue whether there are better more cost-effective aftermarket ways (there definitely are and even lightweight ones) but it appears the OP wants to stick with OEM PCCBs regardless so why are we arguing about benefits of steel vs ceramic?? Just like the OP, I didn’t configure and buy my car based on aftermarket options. There are 100 threads already on the topic. So back to the origin of this thread:

1. REPLACE: has anyone actually replaced their OEM PCCBs for OEM PCCBs and what did it cost via Porsche dealership?

2. REPAIR: Is the resurfacing (more like rebaking building back up) of the OEM PCCB discs actually an option and what has been your experience? At 600 € that sounds like the best OEM option if you can afford/stomach your car on a lift without wheels for 2 months after shipping. Is there anyone stateside that does this repair?

EDIT: just found this out there, not sure if this is only for the kits they sell or also OEM
https://hcfbrakesystems.com/refurbishment

Last edited by Alc; 12-13-2021 at 12:43 PM.
usccharles (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 04:00 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

For anyone looking to replace their worn OEM PCCBs or upgrade from iron discs, we are a dealer for Surface Transforms. Surface Transforms Carbon Ceramic discs (CCST) are vastly superior to OEM PCCBs and are quickly becoming the go-to name in the carbon-ceramic world. They feature a continuous fiber manufacturing process compared to the chopped fiber seen in OEM PCCB discs. This allows them to have a greater thermal capacity, longer life, better performance and you can also get them refurbished up to 3 times throughout their life for roughly $600 per rotor.

They are also way cheaper than OEM at $6325 for the front axle and $6325 for the rear axle. That is $12,650 for the full car, and you are getting a far superior disc compared to OEM. Based on the performance, quality, and price of these discs, there is virtually no reason to purchase OEM PCCB discs again.

We have upgrades for Porsche models (including all 991) originally equipped with iron brakes as well as replacements for PCCB equipped cars. If anyone has any questions about these please don't hesitate to contact me. You can view more information about these discs on our site here: https://hinzmotorsport.com/collectio...ace-transforms

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
The following 2 users liked this post by Hinz Motorsport:
iammacey (12-13-2021), usccharles (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 06:32 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport
For anyone looking to replace their worn OEM PCCBs or upgrade from iron discs, we are a dealer for Surface Transforms. Surface Transforms Carbon Ceramic discs (CCST) are vastly superior to OEM PCCBs and are quickly becoming the go-to name in the carbon-ceramic world. They feature a continuous fiber manufacturing process compared to the chopped fiber seen in OEM PCCB discs. This allows them to have a greater thermal capacity, longer life, better performance and you can also get them refurbished up to 3 times throughout their life for roughly $600 per rotor.

They are also way cheaper than OEM at $6325 for the front axle and $6325 for the rear axle. That is $12,650 for the full car, and you are getting a far superior disc compared to OEM. Based on the performance, quality, and price of these discs, there is virtually no reason to purchase OEM PCCB discs again.

We have upgrades for Porsche models (including all 991) originally equipped with iron brakes as well as replacements for PCCB equipped cars. If anyone has any questions about these please don't hesitate to contact me. You can view more information about these discs on our site here: https://hinzmotorsport.com/collectio...ace-transforms
I have your site as an ongoing open tab as I'm planning to do this next year. For some reason I was thinking $16k for the car and it's closer to $13k, so thank you for clarifying. I want to pull the OE rotors and put them away and run the ST rotors. My GT4 has PCCBs, so 410mm up front. Do the ST rotors run with stock pad sizes?
Old 12-13-2021, 10:21 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
I have your site as an ongoing open tab as I'm planning to do this next year. For some reason I was thinking $16k for the car and it's closer to $13k, so thank you for clarifying. I want to pull the OE rotors and put them away and run the ST rotors. My GT4 has PCCBs, so 410mm up front. Do the ST rotors run with stock pad sizes?
Yep, others have gone this route as well -shelving their PCCBs and mounting ST's. You are correct, you will run your stock pad sizes with these. Pagid currently has a few offerings but other manufacturers' compounds have been getting tested recently, so there may be a few more compound options available by the time you are ready to purchase. Just a heads up, inventories do tend to fluctuate so in the event these are out of stock here and they need to come directly from ST in the UK, it could take up to 4-6 weeks to get them. I am happy to do an inventory check at any time for anyone getting ready to pull the trigger.

Please spread the word folks, this community should no longer fall victim to insane dealer pricing on PCCB's. These rotors are just better, the fact that they are soo much cheaper is simply awesome.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:10 PM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dsteding
I’m a bit surprised they are telling you this. Did they take the rotors off the car and measure carbon content? That is the only way to truly know where the rotors are in their lives.

For reference, my 2016 GT3 has 60 track days in it and 23k miles. It has its original set of PCCB rotors and has gone through two sets of pads. The 991 rotors are pretty tough and almost impossible to wear out unless you abuse them by running pads down to nothing or getting too much heat into them.
this is something i fear also. i have no idea what to actually look out for when replacing rotors. perhaps a good thing for me to research before just blindly listening to the service people. if anyone can lead me to a known thread or knowledgeable link on how to check for work rotors, i would greatly appreciate!
Old 12-17-2021, 08:28 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

FYI from a post over in the 992 section...

Sponsored by Brembo, but his data is valid. I'll never own another sports car without them.

SS
Old 12-17-2021, 09:03 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by S S
FYI from a post over in the 992 section..
Sponsored by Brembo, but his data is valid. I'll never own another sports car without them.
SS
We still believe that iron remains by far the top choice for discs if you track your car on a regular basis. Below is our counterpoint to that video, based on helping many, many former carbon ceramic owners across a wide variety of vehicle platforms. While they have continuously improved, the biggest problem with carbon ceramic discs is that they still oxidize at track temps. Until that issue is resolved, they will remain an incredibly expensive option for the typical track enthusiast. They remain great for the street though.

Are Carbon Ceramic Brake Discs Better than Iron? -Essex Parts Blog

Old 12-17-2021, 02:15 PM
K C
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
I can wash a lot of wheels for $24K. Heck for that amount I can pay to have them washed and still be well in the black.
actually for $40k, u can just get disposable wheels

Quick Reply: Cost of PCCB replacement