Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan Ventilation Blower Motor was a Quick Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 01:00 PM
straka
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Fan Ventilation Blower Motor was a Quick Fix?

The climate control blower motor suddenly stopped working on my 2017 991.2 with 10,000 miles. Accessed the motor’s fan cage through the front hood. Turning the fan cage by hand restored operation.

Who else has experienced this problem?

Did the problem come back after this (temporary?) fix?

I have a CPO warranty for another 12 months. Now since the fan is operating its not going to be replaced by warranty. I hope the problem doesn’t reoccur after the warranty expires. Parts alone are $900!
Old 12-16-2021, 01:14 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by straka
The climate control blower motor suddenly stopped working on my 2017 991.2 with 10,000 miles. Accessed the motor’s fan cage through the front hood. Turning the fan cage by hand restored operation.

Who else has experienced this problem?

Did the problem come back after this (temporary?) fix?

I have a CPO warranty for another 12 months. Now since the fan is operating its not going to be replaced by warranty. I hope the problem doesn’t reoccur after the warranty expires. Parts alone are $900!
There are some threads about that. I had it happen in my '15 991.1 GTS last fall on a trip to Florida. I did what you did, and it has operated fine since. That was about 18 months into my ownership so I don't know if it ever happened before to the previous owners.

I panicked a bit when it occurred since I was due to drive back to Albuquerque in a few days, and there was a hurricane coming ashore over Louisiana that I was going to have to drive around. I booked a service visit at Porsche of Melbourne (I was still CPO) but while waiting googled the problem and via threads here and elsewhere learned about the "fix". It worked, much to my surprise and relief. I did have my dealer check it, just to have something on record while still CPO but 14 months out, it has not happened again. The SA at Melbourne said that its likely signals that the motor was maybe on the way out, but as mentioned, no problems since giving it a bump start.

Old 12-16-2021, 02:16 PM
straka
Racer

BGLeduc: Yes read the earlier threads on this subject. I'm hoping my Service Advisor will make note of the problem based on my description and acknowledge my quick fix so if it happens again out of warranty there is his service note that is was a problem during the warranty period and result in a warranty covered repair. It seems like this is a common problem. I would have had to have waited for several weeks for service. The winter climate here in New Orleans's is foggy resulting in in condensation and poor visibility on the inside of the windshield, so getting the fan working again was my priority.

Last edited by straka; 12-16-2021 at 02:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BGLeduc (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 06:47 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Any link to the other thread ?
Old 12-17-2021, 01:12 PM
straka
Racer

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
Any link to the other thread ?
I did a thread search for the procedure to access the fan blower cage through the front hood. Easy to do. Take off the cover plate as if your changing the cabin air filter located under the hood. The back of the blower cage is easily seen.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:17 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Top Tip: Make sure the car is off before reaching in and giving the fan a little nudge. It would be unfortunate if a lifetime of violin lessons were sacrificed to get a bit of heating or cooling. ;-)

Quick Reply: Fan Ventilation Blower Motor was a Quick Fix?