Sponsored by:

Continental DWS 06 plus tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 05:23 PM
hackheyward
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
For those running these DWS06 Plus, what PSI are you guys on for comfort? I used to run 31/35 for PSS2 so not sure what folks are doing with DWS06
I’ve had my set of DWS06 Plus tires for about a month. 2013 C4S. I’ve tried several different pressure settings and have settled on 33/39 cold. I do run separate winter tires. I second the opinions that one gives up surprisingly little summer performance with these tires compared to the pre summer hi-po tires. The technology has definitely improved.
Old 07-05-2024, 06:01 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by G&S997.2
Wish these were available in sizes for our car. Front-235/35R19,Rear-305/30R19. We like to road trip our car, with one or two anticipated HPDE events a year. Would you consider this tire for the occasional track day? We don't want to have dedicated summer, winter tire sets. Won't drive the car in snow, but would like a tire that can safely operate in temps under 40 degF if on occasion we encounter colder temps on an extended road trip. Would park it if we ran into snow, or other detrimental conditions until things cleared up, but if roads are dry, but cold, it would be nice to have a tire that handles that, as well as the typical summer performance. We know there'd be a level of performance compensation required, but these sound like a perfect compromise. Thanks for posting this, and glad you made it home safely.
I would not consider or use the DWS as an occasional track tire, unless you were very novice / not pushing it hard but just enjoying driving quicker than you might on a public street.

I would expect that you might be able to get a lap or two out of them before they overheated and traction dropped off dramatically. For the 1 or 2 laps, you may expect to have close to a street tire traction, but it would drop off quickly.

Last edited by thesaintusa; 07-05-2024 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-05-2024, 06:33 PM
G&S997.2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank you for your insight, and weighing in. Since our sizes aren't available anyway, we'll continue with the PS4S tires in conditions within their window for safe operation.
The following users liked this post:
doctj (07-16-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 01:36 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 916 Likes on 411 Posts

Just completed a 8,100 mile road trip over every road type & weather possible except snow. The new 06+ performed flawlessly on all conditions at “all” speeds. More quiet on different road surfaces than any Michelin or Pirelli I have had previously. I took a chance with the Continentals based on comments here. So glad I took the plunge & when the time comes, will replace with the same ……. unless there is a really NEW tire to come along.
Old 07-07-2024, 01:55 PM
Contadino
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

991.1 C2S, normally run PS4S which I think are awesome. Decided to extend my driving season to include cold temperatures but don't plan to drive in snow. Tried the DWS06+. They were very squirrelly and felt unstable. I actually pulled off the highway one time to check if the lug bolts were tight (they were). Anyway I returned them and switched to Mich. A/S 4. They were much better. Not as stable as the PS4S but ok for my planned usage. I think the DWS sidewalls were just too flexible.

Last edited by Contadino; 07-07-2024 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-07-2024, 01:56 PM
mhconley
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 81 Posts

Interesting. I just put a set of these on my Volvo XC90 because they were well reviewed at Tire Rack and they were a good deal, especially with the $200 rebate using the Continental Tires credit card at Tire Rack. The 6 months same as cash was a nice bonus; can't beat free money. I would never have thought of even considering them for my 991.1. Then again I live in Florida so summer tires are the go to.

Incidentally, anyone considering using the mobile installation through Discount Tire Direct (now part of Tire Rack) - I highly recommend it.

Martin

Last edited by mhconley; 07-07-2024 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2024, 02:48 PM
Contadino
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How does the mobile service work? Do they mount and balance in your driveway?

QUOTE=mhconley;19534111]Interesting. I just put a set of these on my Volvo XC90 because they were well reviewed at Tire Rack and they were a good deal, especially with the $200 rebate using the Continental Tires credit card at Tire Rack. The 6 months same as cash was a nice bonus; can't beat free money. I would never have thought of even considering them for my 991.1. Then again I live in Florida so summer tires are the go to.

Incidentally, anyone considering using the mobile installation through Discount Tire Direct (now part of Tire Rack) - I highly recommend it.

Martin[/QUOTE]
Old 07-07-2024, 04:26 PM
mhconley
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes. I took him 45 minutes to mount and balance all four tires on my Volvo.

Martin
Old 07-07-2024, 06:23 PM
H2Owon
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 99 Posts

The DSW 006+ have a faster turn-in than I experienced with either the P Zero or PS4S which may be the "squirrelly" @Contadino experienced. They respond to slight steering wheel changes. You get used to it pretty quickly. Now that I have a few thousand miles on them, I can't even notice it so either that characteristic softens after break-in or you adapt. The difference in lower noise and better ride quality more than make up for that characteristic in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
thesaintusa (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 11:08 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I just switched from my old MPSS2, only put on about 12k miles, but it was old. I cannot believe I can finally hear my stereo😂. I always thought the terrible road noise was normal for the last 8yrs.

Last edited by bmxtreme; 07-10-2024 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-11-2024, 01:56 AM
rephlex71
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I live in the Pacific Northwest so lots of rain and below 45 degrees for 6 months out of the year. I have dedicated summer winter setup for some of my cars. But I use my C4S as a daily year round and we don’t get snow in the valley in the winter so I went for the Contis and run them all year. Perfectly fine for street driving and the occasional club drive.
Old 07-16-2024, 08:47 PM
DR911s
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DR911s
I recently bought a set of the subject Continental DWS-06 Plus tires from Tire Rack in the sizes the OP asked about [OEM recommended sizes for my 2017 C2S] and had them installed on an extra set of non-OEM wheels made by OZ Racing sized 9x20 front and 11x20 rear. Like some other people who have posted on this thread, I decided that I wanted to be able to drive my car throughout the year. I live in NE Ohio; we get lots of damp and wet roads.

These DWS-06 Plus tires are noticeably quieter than the Michelin PS4s tires in the same sizes that were removed from those wheels with the rears at the end of their service life, but are not as responsive to steering inputs, all as expected, but the PS4s tires are impressively quiet given their overall performance orientation. However, the Continental A/S tires are not lacking in traction. I've recorded 0.97 G cornering on dry asphalt in 75F ambient conditions and the road was shaded from the sunlight, and 0.98 G when trying a simple stop then mash the throttle with the PDK in Normal mode with the car feeling slightly squirrelly, and neither time did the tires make any squealing noises. So, i don't yet know the maximum G-force capability of the Continental DWS-06 Plus tires. I'm guessing that bit of squirrelly behavior was due to the traction control/stability control intervening slightly although I did not see any flashing lamp in the dashboard like I have when tracking my car and pushing the limits in some abrupt vertical transitions in the track pavement which cause the car to slide. Ride quality is good on most pavement, arguably more compliant [as expected] than the PS4s at the same inflation pressures [30-32 front, 35-37 rear set when tires are cold at about 70 F ambient in my garage], but upon some pavement irregularities the Contis actually seem to be transmitting more dull impact thud back into the chassis. The differences will be immediately noticed by anyone who has grown used to driving "sportily" on hilly, winding back roads on their Michelin PS4s, especially the steering response which is slower and not nearly as linear. But after driving on the Contis for a while, you will adjust your inputs accordingly. These DWS-06 Plus tires have demonstrated in Tire Rack's own testing to be excellent in the wet, including in a slalom test, beating most other tires.

I wanted to consider Michelin A/S and Goodyear A/S tires but neither brand had High Performance All Season tires available in the sizes that I needed. I definitely did not want to install runflat [zero pressure] tires despite that type of tires having been majorly improved since they were first introduced.

I will likely choose another set of Michelin PS4s tires for the OEM wheels [8.5x20 front, 11.5x20 rear] when the Pirelli tires are worn out. They may age out before I wear them out.
I just wanted to update my experience with the DWS-06 Plus tires. This past weekend was the first time that I drove my car for some distance on an interstate highway. Outside [ambient] temperature was about 86F and time was about 5 PM on what had been a mostly clear day with patchy clouds and occasional rain showers but the interstate was dry during my travel on it. I was pleasantly surprised at the low level of noise from the tires. I could actually listen to the radio or music during my road trip. That was not a realistic possibility with the PS4s tires on the same wheels.
Old 07-16-2024, 09:09 PM
doctj
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

The DWS06 Plus are not a bad tire but they aren’t the best. While I’d prefer Michelin any day the PS AS4 were not available in Porsche spec when I was looking last year.
I use the DWS06 Plus as my daily tire in the winter but in the summer at a minimum the PS4S and am considering upgrading to the Cup2 (My 991.2 is heavily modified and tuned )
Old 07-17-2024, 03:55 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

I've had the DWS06 Plus on maybe 16 months now and for me they are great. Probably not for everyone. Before that it was PS4S, but I'm in the PNW and while most of the winter is ok in the lowlands, you certainly don't want to go up the mountains or anywhere too cold/wet/snowy. Not that the DSS06 are winter tires, but it gives you a lot more freedom. 991.1 GTS 4, not for track use. Just an AWD manual 911 you can go anywhere and do anything with (in the PNW climate).
Old 07-17-2024, 01:45 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by doctj
The DWS06 Plus are not a bad tire but they aren’t the best. While I’d prefer Michelin any day the PS AS4 were not available in Porsche spec when I was looking last year.
The Michelins aren’t available now either, which makes it sort of irrelevant whether they’re better than the Continentals.

I’ve had both on other cars and have the DWS on my 991.1 C4S presently. They’re both very good all-season performance tires. Generally I favor Michelin overall; I still think the Defender LTX is the best tire on the market for anyone who doesn’t need a specialty tire.

Quick Reply: Continental DWS 06 plus tires