Sponsored by:

Dynamic Cornering Light Doesn't Work on my 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 03:12 AM
Sekiro
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dynamic Cornering Light Doesn't Work on my 991.2

Hi, This is my first post after joining rennlist, I expect to learn a lot here . I got my 2018 991 this summer and I must say it exceeded my already sky high expections, in spite of the DCL problems. I don't think I can find a more perfect car for me.

My 991 is equiped with PDLS+ as you can see from my profile pic. I can't feel the headlights move side to side when cornering at dark at all. My previous car was a B9 Audi S5, I'm familiar with how this function works.

So I did some checks, I learned there is a self check procedure for the PDLS/PDLS+ upon startup. So I was watching it when starting in my dark garage, I noticed the lights only tilt and then return but never swivel.

Also I had the chance to ask a Porsche coach at Porsche Driving Experience(new 992 is so fast with its 8 speed PDK btw). He said the PDLS definitely should swivel in the self check procudure and the 992s at the track did that. He also confirmed there would be no fault lights on the dash if there is something wrong with DCL.(which is my case, no light on dash)

At this point, I'm 100% sure my DCL is broken. I'll bring it in my local dealer this winter when I can't drive the car anyway. There is no rush since this is minor and my CPO warranty is still good for years to come.

I just want to know did anyone experience this problem before, will the whole headlight units need to be replaced? I'm hoping it's a easy fix, and will report back when I do bring it in!

Dirty pic of My 911 at Mosport Ontario w/ inelegant plate masking.

Last edited by Sekiro; 10-28-2021 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:13 AM
Sekiro
Intermediate

uh.. I can't see my own profile pic...
Old 10-28-2021, 07:34 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

My '17 C2 with option code 603 - Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) works. I've never noticed the start up sequence of the headlamp to compare, unfortunately. I'll see if I can take a look at what mine do on startup, to see if they tilt and/or swivel.

In terms of effectiveness, I find PDLS pretty helpful. My most recent trip to a class in Naples FL required me to be on the road well before dark. Having the headlights swivel to illuminate the low speed turns getting out of my development was very visible. I will say I can't "feel" them move, the light pattern on the headlight just moves over, into the corner, is all. I assume you've driven the car at night and the car does not do that?

Was the front bumper/headlight ever taken off and put back on? Any front end damage or work done in the past? The VIN has the option code for PDLS+ from the factory, yes? i.e. these LED headlight housings were not put on after build as an "upgrade"?

I am surprised at the statement "He also confirmed there would be no fault lights on the dash if there is something wrong with DCL." I'm not sure why there would not be a fault code triggered if the swivel function did not pass a self-test. Checking the owner's manual pdf floating around the forum, there is one listed for the DCL. It appears in the MFD:

But yeah, sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order.

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 10-28-2021 at 08:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sekiro (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 08:35 AM
Sekiro
Intermediate

Thx for your input Rich. Probably I uploaded a mega sized pic and the forum system failed to load it. Damn I'll re-upload it later. Yes I can confirm I have PDLS+ which has all of the PDLS functions and some more, I think the main difference is PDLS+ has a continous light ring versus the 4 dots lights on PDLS when the headlight is on. You should be able to see this from the pic I posted.

At first I was thinking maybe it's just not obvious to "feel", but tbh I literally can't feel its helping me cornoring at all at night, particularly compared to my S5 which was pretty obvious.

I have no way of telling about previous damage/work on the front bumper area since the car had 10k miles with previous owners. I used a paint thickness measure to verify every paint is correct factory thickness before purchasing, but the front bumper area is plastic so I just have no way of knowing. Yes the bulit sheet shows PDLS+ as a factory option.

Now it does seem strange there is a fault code for it. What I know for sure is my PDLS+ doesn't swivel upon startup, and the 992s PDLS does. Hopefully you and other 991.2 owners can chime in if your PDLS swivels during the self test.

Also my headlight setting is in auto.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:40 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,491 Likes on 930 Posts

Well one to RL. If you search you will find a DIY thread on here showing you what is causing the issue and how to fix. Adjustment levers in wheel well need the replaced/fixed occasionally. Best wishes.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:32 AM
Sekiro
Intermediate

Thank you Fullyield. May I get a hint word from you to search the thread, I just spent 30mins going thru search words like PDLS, DCL, Dynamic Cornering Light and nope....If it's an easy fix I'd much prefer fix it myself, making an appointment and the crazy turn time with Porsche dealers is a nightmare to deal with in Toronto recently.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:03 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Just did a quick op check in the garage. I started the car ('17 C2 base with PDLS) as per normal, and observed the headlight pattern shown on my garage wall from the driver's seat.

The headlights (I have Automatic mode on) come on with the ignition. After turning the key, the engine starts, then this process takes place over perhaps 4 or 5 seconds: The headlights show full bright, then they dip down, and at the low point, they do this little "wiggle" side to side, then return to normal pattern, dipped beam.

If you don't see the little wiggle side to side in yours (it is pretty obvious), something is most likely amiss.

An idea would be to locate which fuse the PDLS is on, pull it to reset the controller, then re-insert. But I appreciate it might not be such a big deal you can just wait to get it into a shop.

Sekiro (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 10:17 AM
Sekiro
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Just did a quick op check in the garage. I started the car ('17 C2 base with PDLS) as per normal, and observed the headlight pattern shown on my garage wall from the driver's seat.

The headlights (I have Automatic mode on) come on with the ignition. After turning the key, the engine starts, then this process takes place over perhaps 4 or 5 seconds: The headlights show full bright, then they dip down, and at the low point, they do this little "wiggle" side to side, then return to normal pattern, dipped beam.

If you don't see the little wiggle side to side in yours (it is pretty obvious), something is most likely amiss.

An idea would be to locate which fuse the PDLS is on, pull it to reset the controller, then re-insert. But I appreciate it might not be such a big deal you can just wait to get it into a shop.
Thx a lot for such prompt reply. This was exactly I did testing mine. Now the absent fault code is interesting. I'll try your way when I get back home from vacation.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:18 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,491 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by Sekiro
Thank you Fullyield. May I get a hint word from you to search the thread, I just spent 30mins going thru search words like PDLS, DCL, Dynamic Cornering Light and nope....If it's an easy fix I'd much prefer fix it myself, making an appointment and the crazy turn time with Porsche dealers is a nightmare to deal with in Toronto recently.
Happy to help, ifI can. Here is my terrible memory of the DIY thread. The system has an actuator mounted on the struts. As you turn the steering wheel causing the tires to turn left or right, the mechanical actuator turns the headlights proportionally in the same direction. This mechanical actuator on the struts is sometime damaged from road debris kicked up by the tires. I think it is made from plastic. The DIY has photos of the complete repair. Sorry I can not be more helpful.
Sekiro (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 12:15 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sekiro
Thx for your input Rich. Probably I uploaded a mega sized pic and the forum system failed to load it.
Yep, as far as I recall, the limit on Avatar pictures for members is 300x300 or 19kb or so. If it was say the pic in your OP, that image would need to be sized down quite a bit, say via MS Photos in windoze, or your favorite picture resizer in Mac or Linux. It'd look something like this:

Good luck sorting out the lights.

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 10-28-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:47 PM
Sekiro
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Happy to help, ifI can. Here is my terrible memory of the DIY thread. The system has an actuator mounted on the struts. As you turn the steering wheel causing the tires to turn left or right, the mechanical actuator turns the headlights proportionally in the same direction. This mechanical actuator on the struts is sometime damaged from road debris kicked up by the tires. I think it is made from plastic. The DIY has photos of the complete repair. Sorry I can not be more helpful.
Wow, I never thought of how the system works. Now I understand this is an easy fix which shouldn't invlove replacement of the headlights, I'm very relieved. I appreciate it although I had to gave up DIY after fiddling with the search with all the key words. God knows where is it buried or has it been deleted.

Porsche surely makes an interesting decision of making this easy to damage part from plastic, made me think of my old Audi.

Last edited by Sekiro; 10-28-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:10 PM
heroicdeath
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I've never noticed mine swivelling on startup, only tilting up and down. This was both on my 4S and 4GTS that both have PDLS+, try driving out at night with the headlights on.

I noticed mine swivels correctly when I drive at night.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:03 PM
shockedcape
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Hm I didn't even realize my car has PDLS+ but it does. But the car doesn't swivel the headlights or do any of the high beam assist functions (even though I have turned it on several times)
Old 10-29-2021, 04:19 AM
Sekiro
Intermediate

Hmmm Interesting, That took an unexpected turn. So PDLS+ doesn't swivel duing the self checkup but PDLS does? It might be possible I just didn't notice the side to side motion while cornering at dark. Very strange because I paid close attention to it and my previous Audi was so obvious. If that's the case It might as well be broken, It must swivel by a minimum amount and I don't think it helps. Or PDLS+ just inherently move less than PDLS?(upgrade huh?)

Last edited by Sekiro; 10-29-2021 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:12 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 654 Posts

I didn't know DCL were a thing on these cars.... learn something new every day. That said, I assume mine is broken too because I can't remember any swiveling going on anywhere at any time.

Quick Reply: Dynamic Cornering Light Doesn't Work on my 991.2