Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamic Cornering Light Doesn't Work on my 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 06:56 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Received 229 Likes on 130 Posts

In cars with Sport Chrono, the headlight cornering motion is more pronounced in Sport and even more so in Sport+ mode than in normal mode.

Just wiggle the steering wheel back and forth a little as you drive at night and the lights should track the steering wheel motion in anticipation of the car's body turning .
Old 10-31-2021, 12:57 PM
stoutthedog
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I just checked my PDLS Plus and they do the vertical check and the horizontal “wiggle” check. The wiggle check is super quick and could be missed if not looking for it. I could post a video if needed.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:55 PM
Sekiro
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is getting more interersting, I wonder why is everyone having different experience with PDLS+. Some say it doesn't swivel on startup and other say it does.

In my case, I tried this in my pitch black garage with the only light source being the headlight. I don't know how can I miss any side to side movement of the light no matter how fast, and I tried more than once.

Guess I'll have my SO starting the car and I gonna wear sunglasses, then watching the headlight motion from inches away to make sure I saw what I saw. Or the PDLS+ is capable of demonstrating the Observer Effect in physics?

However, It can't be done till I come back from my current vacation in Dec.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:58 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 536 Posts

I just checked this in the garage with lights on Auto but didn’t start the car. Just turned key to Accesory power. The lights drop and do a wiggle over a period of many seconds. I have the PDLS+.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:08 AM
eraserflying
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sekiro
Hi, This is my first post after joining rennlist, I expect to learn a lot here . I got my 2018 991 this summer and I must say it exceeded my already sky high expections, in spite of the DCL problems. I don't think I can find a more perfect car for me.

My 991 is equiped with PDLS+ as you can see from my profile pic. I can't feel the headlights move side to side when cornering at dark at all. My previous car was a B9 Audi S5, I'm familiar with how this function works.

So I did some checks, I learned there is a self check procedure for the PDLS/PDLS+ upon startup. So I was watching it when starting in my dark garage, I noticed the lights only tilt and then return but never swivel.

Also I had the chance to ask a Porsche coach at Porsche Driving Experience(new 992 is so fast with its 8 speed PDK btw). He said the PDLS definitely should swivel in the self check procudure and the 992s at the track did that. He also confirmed there would be no fault lights on the dash if there is something wrong with DCL.(which is my case, no light on dash)

At this point, I'm 100% sure my DCL is broken. I'll bring it in my local dealer this winter when I can't drive the car anyway. There is no rush since this is minor and my CPO warranty is still good for years to come.

I just want to know did anyone experience this problem before, will the whole headlight units need to be replaced? I'm hoping it's a easy fix, and will report back when I do bring it in!

Dirty pic of My 911 at Mosport Ontario w/ inelegant plate masking.
I experienced the same problem with the PDLS+, may I ask how you fixed the issue in the end? thanks
Old 11-07-2023, 07:34 PM
GOTSPD2
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Bringing this back up. I did have the front bumper removed to get it resprayed. The headlights seem to do the wiggle upon start up but they definitively don’t turn when I turn the wheel (at least when stopped). Any thoughts on where to start diagnosing?
Old 11-15-2023, 10:37 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,306 Posts

@Sekiro any update to your issue?

@GOTSPD2 they won't adjust based on steering input unless the car is moving. Put the car in sport mode and drive about 25mph and swerve around on an empty road in a safe location at night -- it should be very obvious, even with only 20-25 degrees of steering wheel input. Rhythmically steering left/right in a ~60 degree total sweep, about one left/right cycle per second, should make the headlights sway ever so slightly behind your steering input. My 991.2 with PDLS+ did this, and my 2019 Golf Alltrack does this extremely well. I wish more automakers would make this standard.
Old 11-16-2023, 12:42 PM
GOTSPD2
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you! This works very differently that other cars that have this feature. Appreciate you clarifying for me how it works!

Quick Reply: Dynamic Cornering Light Doesn't Work on my 991.2