Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Stripped a screw that doesn't exist!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 09:38 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Are you sure that those screws aren't ZXN? The screw that holds the steering wheel is.

Amazon Amazon

Old 09-20-2021, 10:19 AM
SSFox
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Rubber bands

Ive had some success with a rubber band. Have not yet tried the reverse bite screw removers—shaped like a drill bit spiraled counter clockwise. Anyone have experience with those?
Old 09-20-2021, 11:01 AM
neptune36
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes. I have a set in my tool box. They look like tapered reverse taps of different sizes. Select the right size speed out for the stripped screw, get a drill to make a pilot hole sized to the selected speedout . Thread the speed out into the drilled hole counter-clockwise and as it buries into the hole it binds, then use a pair of lockjaw pliers or crescent wrench on the end to get more torque and out comes the screw. It works nicely given there is the proper size used. There's probably youtube vids as well.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:45 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Hope you're able to get this solved. I've been in similar pickles and managed to get out with some variation on the methods already mentioned.

I'm curious what part of a steering wheel swap leads to removing those bolts. I was looking into changing to a .2 GT Multifunction wheel from my .1 Sport Design wheel (using the GPS adapter) and haven't seen any steps that require removing these bolts.

Anyone?
Old 09-21-2021, 07:49 AM
AKKutz
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by noahabel
Hope you're able to get this solved. I've been in similar pickles and managed to get out with some variation on the methods already mentioned.

I'm curious what part of a steering wheel swap leads to removing those bolts. I was looking into changing to a .2 GT Multifunction wheel from my .1 Sport Design wheel (using the GPS adapter) and haven't seen any steps that require removing these bolts.

Anyone?
You have to remove the airbag plate in order to install the GPS adapter.
The following users liked this post:
noahabel (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 03:10 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by AKKutz
Crap, you're right, I glossed right over that step in the instructions.

So all the wiring is done "under" the plate, more or less, right? The GPS instructions say the bolts are T20. Was that not the case, @997 guy ?
Old 10-09-2021, 01:59 PM
997 guy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just an update - after I bought a bunch of extractor tools and whatnot, I gave it another go with a regular T20 bit and a hammer, this time with some Kroil, and it was enough to get the screw out. What a relief!

Originally Posted by AKKutz
FWIW when I installed the adapter I did not have to remove the airbag plate - I was able to flip the connector out just enough to do the modifications and flip it back in.

Originally Posted by noahabel
Crap, you're right, I glossed right over that step in the instructions.

So all the wiring is done "under" the plate, more or less, right? The GPS instructions say the bolts are T20. Was that not the case, @997 guy ?
Yes the bolts are T20. The wheel is now for sale if you're still interested in moving to a GT Sport wheel.

Quick Reply: Help! Stripped a screw that doesn't exist!