Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK shifts too soon.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 01:18 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Sport mode will not automatically shift at redline as others have said. In a .2 sport plus will shift around 4K rpm or so if driving casually while yours will go to redline. The behavior of your car sounds normal for sport mode; whether a .1 or a .2. I often drive in sport plus in my car on the street but I think that might be more difficult in a .1.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:12 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 50 Posts

Sell it and get a manual shift!! Kidding.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:26 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 221 Posts

How high do you want it to rev? 🤷🏻‍♂️ On the Highway, when cruising in traffic in Sport mode, I even upshift early. 😂
Old 09-12-2021, 02:32 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
Driving like a sane, normal person, Normal/Drive keeps RPMs under 2k, and Sport will bring them up to around 3k and lock out 7th gear. Sport+ isn't for street use, obviously.
+1 here
this is exactly how my 991.1S with PDK operates. i don't drive in normal mode, but sport mode works ok for me and my old man driving habits. shift points at 3500 rpm (in sport mode while cruising around) would be even better imho but my world has always been imperfect.

Last edited by Levy; 09-12-2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:44 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
Exactly. There's a lot of lilly gilding going on here - it's a great car and I appreciate that you can extract more performance, but unless the car is being tracked, what's the purpose of tuning, lightening etc.

I'm a child of the 60s and guys (it was mostly young men and boys) spent hours and lots of dollars jacking up Mopar equipped boxes and dragging the cars at a particularly straight road near the Delaware river. The cars couldn't hold a curve but they could go straight real fast. When not raced - which was 99% of the time - these dodges and plymouths were barely manageable in city traffic. With 1/2 racing cams they barely idled and the backfires and pops annoyed everyone.

The more I read about the tunes being offered the more it reminds me of the 60s six pack jacked up chrome wide wheel cars of my youth.
Unfortunately I remember the 60’s and 70’s all too well. I think tunes on the Pcars are really quite different especially Stage 2-3 tunes. It’s more like getting a teeth cleaning. It just makes an already great car a little greater.
I am running a stage 2 custom tune with EP exhaust and DSC V3 sport controller and the difference from stock is just that much better for an already amazing performance car. Power comes on early in the rpm range and a host of other benefits. It’s not about “hole shots”, “leaving rubber” and “wheelies”. It’s not just about tracking but a better overall driving experience.

Last edited by Penn4S; 09-12-2021 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:35 PM
moswissa
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
Sport mode will not automatically shift at redline as others have said. In a .2 sport plus will shift around 4K rpm or so if driving casually while yours will go to redline. The behavior of your car sounds normal for sport mode; whether a .1 or a .2. I often drive in sport plus in my car on the street but I think that might be more difficult in a .1.
does sport plus always shift at redline when in auto? For me it does, so I find it useless to use unless in manual mode. I have a 991.1S.

Sports mode is perfect for street use, the more throttle the later it shifts and the shifts sounds awesome!

I never drive in D mode, even if cold.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:03 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by moswissa
does sport plus always shift at redline when in auto? For me it does, so I find it useless to use unless in manual mode. I have a 991.1S.

Sports mode is perfect for street use, the more throttle the later it shifts and the shifts sounds awesome!

I never drive in D mode, even if cold.
In the .2, no. In Sport Plus it will shift at redline if you mash the gas but in relatively casual driving it will shift around 4K or so. The .1 only shifts at redline as far as I know, so that is one big difference between the two models.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:05 PM
moswissa
Instructor

In the .2, no. In Sport Plus it will shift at redline if you mash the gas but in relatively casual driving it will shift around 4K or so. The .1 only shifts at redline as far as I know, so that is one big difference between the two models.
thanks for explaining. Does sports plus add any extra power? I feel like its faster but that could be the PDK making me think so.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:26 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

thanks for explaining. Does sports plus add any extra power? I feel like its faster but that could be the PDK making me think so.
More aggressive throttle map, suspension dampening, shift points, dynamic engine mounts (Stiffer) and PTM behavior occur in Sport+. I may have missed a few (like PDCC stuff and launch control) but you get the idea. No more power than in any other mode.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:55 PM
moswissa
Instructor

More aggressive throttle map, suspension dampening, shift points, dynamic engine mounts (Stiffer) and PTM behavior occur in Sport+. I may have missed a few (like PDCC stuff and launch control) but you get the idea. No more power than in any other mode.

hmm interesting, my butt dyno telling me its an added 10whp
Old 09-14-2021, 08:04 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

hmm interesting, my butt dyno telling me its an added 10whp
You're the target market for the sprint booster (or pedal commander or any other DBW amplifier)
Old 09-14-2021, 11:23 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
You're the target market for the sprint booster (or pedal commander or any other DBW amplifier)
What he means to say is your butt dyno is broken ;-). But...I thought exactly the same thing when I saw your response
The following users liked this post:
asellus (09-15-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 01:18 AM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

I too was disappointed at the shift points and patterns of NORMAL and SPORT mode on my 2014 991.1 with PDK. NORMAL mode is for overall economy and sucks as produced from the factory. You might as well by a WRX!

I went with the FVD PDK tune and solved all my problems. Car drives amazing as all shift points now make sense and NORMAL mode is now like SPORT mode. SPORT PLUS is still shifting at redline if in Auto mode and is best left to be used on track.

This is my solution to the problem and may not suit everyone but I for one am now enjoying the crap out of thrashing the car on country roads.

Quick Reply: PDK shifts too soon.