Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK shifts too soon.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2021 | 01:11 AM
uphoto
Pro

Default PDK shifts too soon.

Anybody else have this issue? I rarely use auto mode anymore because no matter what I do it always shifts at around 3500 rpm. If I’m not pedal to the floor, it will shift no matter what, at around 3k! This is in sport mode too.

So I then end up using manual mode and my paddles instead but I thought this tranny is supposed to be more “sport like”. It downshifts aggressively in auto mode but will never rev high. Is this normal? It’s been 7 months like this and hasn’t adapted to my driving style.
Old 09-12-2021 | 01:19 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You control the shift points of the PDK programming by modulating the aggressiveness of your throttle input.
Old 09-12-2021 | 01:33 AM
uphoto
Pro

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You control the shift points of the PDK programming by modulating the aggressiveness of your throttle input.
hence me saying that even after 7 months it hasn’t adapted.
Old 09-12-2021 | 04:27 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

It may be worth your while to drive a similar car and compare the PDK behavior. I’ve driven PDKs aggressively and all shifted up at redline but at less pace will shift at lower RPMs.

If there’s a significant difference then you may have some issues.

What model and mileage do you have? May help others with feedback.

Last edited by BSO; 09-12-2021 at 04:39 AM.
Old 09-12-2021 | 07:18 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uphoto
Anybody else have this issue? I rarely use auto mode anymore because no matter what I do it always shifts at around 3500 rpm. If I’m not pedal to the floor, it will shift no matter what, at around 3k! This is in sport mode too.
Based on my experience from a 981, that is perfectly normal. If you want it to hold the gear longer before shifting closer to redline, you need to be at 100% throttle. Except in Sports Plus, where it won’t shift until higher RPMs even with half throttle.
The following 2 users liked this post by PTSFX:
docskeet (09-12-2021), Fullyield (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021 | 07:47 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

So I then end up using manual mode and my paddles instead but I thought this tranny is supposed to be more “sport like”. It downshifts aggressively in auto mode but will never rev high. Is this normal? It’s been 7 months like this and hasn’t adapted to my driving style.
Normal. Auto mode is designed for maximum fuel efficiency and is how Porsche meets MPG requirements. So everything is adjusted/tuned to that goal: shift at low rpm’s, lean fuel-air ratio causing engine to run hotter; transmission coasting; auto start stop; etc. Maximum fuel efficiency is inversely related to performance…hence Sport and SportPlus mode where fuel efficiency drops.
Old 09-12-2021 | 09:46 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

One of the reasons I really like the PDK Tune from Cobb is for this reason. It did a great job of extending the shift points in all modes especially sport. Along with quicker firmer shifting.
Old 09-12-2021 | 09:52 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Where is everyone driving these cars? I live in a quiet suburban/rural region of southeastern Pennsylvania and there is exactly no-where (with the exception of patrolled limited access highways) where I can safely drive my PDK equipped car at redline in second gear. If I want to run up the gears I use sport, but still it gets to 6th in a hurry.

Last edited by rnl; 09-12-2021 at 09:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
raaizin (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021 | 10:04 AM
ktnielsen
Rennlist Member

I have a 991.2 C2S PDK, and have driven 991.1 C2S PDK. Both PDK's shifted at redline with wide open throttle, but that means close to 90mph in second gear. Doesn't bode well for regular street driving.
B Russ (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021 | 10:59 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ktnielsen
I have a 991.2 C2S PDK, and have driven 991.1 C2S PDK. Both PDK's shifted at redline with wide open throttle, but that means close to 90mph in second gear. Doesn't bode well for regular street driving.
Exactly. There's a lot of lilly gilding going on here - it's a great car and I appreciate that you can extract more performance, but unless the car is being tracked, what's the purpose of tuning, lightening etc.

I'm a child of the 60s and guys (it was mostly young men and boys) spent hours and lots of dollars jacking up Mopar equipped boxes and dragging the cars at a particularly straight road near the Delaware river. The cars couldn't hold a curve but they could go straight real fast. When not raced - which was 99% of the time - these dodges and plymouths were barely manageable in city traffic. With 1/2 racing cams they barely idled and the backfires and pops annoyed everyone.

The more I read about the tunes being offered the more it reminds me of the 60s six pack jacked up chrome wide wheel cars of my youth.
Old 09-12-2021 | 11:36 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I hear you, OP. When on the street, I almost exclusively use manual mode on my .2 PDK because the shift points relative to throttle input just aren't to my liking.

Driving like a sane, normal person, Normal/Drive keeps RPMs under 2k, and Sport will bring them up to around 3k and lock out 7th gear. Sport+ isn't for street use, obviously.
Levy (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021 | 12:12 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rnl
Exactly. There's a lot of lilly gilding going on here - it's a great car and I appreciate that you can extract more performance, but unless the car is being tracked, what's the purpose of tuning, lightening etc.

I'm a child of the 60s and guys (it was mostly young men and boys) spent hours and lots of dollars jacking up Mopar equipped boxes and dragging the cars at a particularly straight road near the Delaware river. The cars couldn't hold a curve but they could go straight real fast. When not raced - which was 99% of the time - these dodges and plymouths were barely manageable in city traffic. With 1/2 racing cams they barely idled and the backfires and pops annoyed everyone.

The more I read about the tunes being offered the more it reminds me of the 60s six pack jacked up chrome wide wheel cars of my youth.

I have a base PDK with a tune. It makes the car more responsive on the street. when I had a FVD tune and kept the car in normal mode even though it would shift to a higher gear than you would like, a little throttle and the car would kick down a gear and boost would go up higher than with out the tune and you would have more response. Tunes are not just about max hp but also making throttle response better on the street.
Old 09-12-2021 | 12:16 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Your description of PDK auto shifting in Sport is not consistent with my experience. What year and model do you have?
Old 09-12-2021 | 01:03 PM
uphoto
Pro

Originally Posted by Jack F
Your description of PDK auto shifting in Sport is not consistent with my experience. What year and model do you have?
15 GTS. I’m sport plus it acts as it should and doesn’t shift until redline but in sport it shifts way to soon.
Old 09-12-2021 | 01:14 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

15 GTS. I’m sport plus it acts as it should and doesn’t shift until redline but in sport it shifts way to soon.
It shifts dependent on how much and fast you depress the throttle. It will shift at lower rpm in sport vs sport+. In sport+ it will almost shift at redline in auto no matter how fast you depress the throttle. It is for track use. Floor it in sport and it will shift at a higher rpm than if you were leisurely street driving.

Last edited by F355bob; 09-12-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: PDK shifts too soon.