Sponsored by:

20,000 Service Due

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 09:18 PM
bighoward503
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 20,000 Service Due

I purchased my vehicle CPO last year and I’m trying to determine if the 20,000 service was conducted as part of the CPO certification. Vehicle is a 2017 C2S. When purchased I was around 13000 miles. below is a snapshot from the checklist I was given at time of purchase. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:24 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 479 Posts

Sure looks like it.
The following users liked this post:
bighoward503 (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 09:43 PM
bighoward503
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins;[url=tel:17641027
17641027[/url]]Sure looks like it.
I’m gonna inspect the filters tomorrow but I’m guessing all I’ll need is a oil change. Would really hate to pay for something not needed.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:26 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

That's not a checklist. It is an invoice for the 20,000 mile service they completed! So...yes.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:44 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 966 Likes on 481 Posts

You’re good 👍
Old 09-01-2021, 08:25 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bighoward503
I’m gonna inspect the filters tomorrow but I’m guessing all I’ll need is a oil change. Would really hate to pay for something not needed.
If you are maintaining to the factory intervals, double check against the service manual that came with your car for potential service items you are missing.

Mine ('17, C2, manual WKD902012317) lists spark plugs due to be replaced at 4 years/30K miles, so I opted to have mine done at the dealer this past March ($636). Generally what I see as the rationale from reading posts here is replacing the plugs by time, even though modern plugs can go to 100K, is to avoid the potential for the plugs to seize in the cylinder heads.

Brake fluid is on a 2 year/20K mile interval. You may be due on time or mileage. I used to do mine myself, but sold my pressure pump and catch cans, so I had the dealer do the flush and fill at the same time as the plugs ($193). Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water), it ages just sitting there. Some change it annually or even more frequently if they are track guys (I am not). If you don't know whether / if the brake fluid has been changed, might think about doing this also. I recently bought an inexpensive "pen" tester to keep an eye on the moisture content of mine, but I still would replace brake fluid at least every two years.

Amazon Amazon

The filter elements of the engine air cleaner are listed as 4 year/40K miles. This is a bumper off service. I did this on mine recently in August; again at my local dealer due to the fact this was not a job I thought I would like to tackle. They charged me $606 for this.

You didn't mention brake disk thickness or pads. It would be an idea to look at the rotor from the outside and see if there is a lip forming on the disks. If you see one, your disks are wearing and probably need to be measured to see how much life you have on them. While you can see the pad thickness externally (a small inspection mirror helps) the 4 year service in the book lists the brake inspection as "wheels off". Brakes on these cars are not super hard to do (I did the front pads and rotors on mine earlier this year); but if you don't plan or want to DIY it's probably a good idea to know where you are in the wear pattern.

That's about all I can think of...

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 09-01-2021 at 08:29 AM.
bighoward503 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 08:42 AM
bighoward503
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins;[url=tel:17641604
17641604[/url]]If you are maintaining to the factory intervals, double check against the service manual that came with your car for potential service items you are missing.

Mine ('17, C2, manual WKD902012317) lists spark plugs due to be replaced at 4 years/30K miles, so I opted to have mine done at the dealer this past March ($636). Generally what I see as the rationale from reading posts here is replacing the plugs by time, even though modern plugs can go to 100K, is to avoid the potential for the plugs to seize in the cylinder heads.

Brake fluid is on a 2 year/20K mile interval. You may be due on time or mileage. I used to do mine myself, but sold my pressure pump and catch cans, so I had the dealer do the flush and fill at the same time as the plugs ($193). Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water), it ages just sitting there. Some change it annually or even more frequently if they are track guys (I am not). If you don't know whether / if the brake fluid has been changed, might think about doing this also. I recently bought an inexpensive "pen" tester to keep an eye on the moisture content of mine, but I still would replace brake fluid at least every two years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The filter elements of the engine air cleaner are listed as 4 year/40K miles. This is a bumper off service. I did this on mine recently in August; again at my local dealer due to the fact this was not a job I thought I would like to tackle. They charged me $606 for this.

You didn't mention brake disk thickness or pads. It would be an idea to look at the rotor from the outside and see if there is a lip forming on the disks. If you see one, your disks are wearing and probably need to be measured to see how much life you have on them. While you can see the pad thickness externally (a small inspection mirror helps) the 4 year service in the book lists the brake inspection as "wheels off". Brakes on these cars are not super hard to do (I did the front pads and rotors on mine earlier this year); but if you don't plan or want to DIY it's probably a good idea to know where you are in the wear pattern.

That's about all I can think of...
Thanks Rich. I plan on doing a brake fluid change as well and will have the pads and disks checked. I’ll be doing an HPDE at VIR again this year and will most likely have to replace the pads afterwards but like you said, it’s good to know where you stand. Thanks again for your input. This is my first Porsche and first service so I’m trying to figure things out.
Rich_Jenkins (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 09:15 AM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

$54 for an oil filter + sealing ring,ouch
rnl (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 09:23 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bighoward503
Thanks Rich. I plan on doing a brake fluid change as well and will have the pads and disks checked. I’ll be doing an HPDE at VIR again this year and will most likely have to replace the pads afterwards but like you said, it’s good to know where you stand. Thanks again for your input. This is my first Porsche and first service so I’m trying to figure things out.
Good luck at VIR.

I did notice one item that wasn't replaced on your checklist/receipt; the air intake pre-filter. This is the one on mine, I suspect it's the same part:

https://www.getporscheparts.com/oem-...91-99157237100

It's easy to check/get to; open the frunk, remove the plastic battery cover or rotate it to the service position and hang it on the yellow retainer. The air-intake prefilter is in a box on the left; undo the snaps on the top and slide the filter up and out (it fits in with a kinda 90 degree bend in the middle.) The filter is about 3" x 14" and comes flat, so you have to stuff in the new one. They aren't expensive, and if it looks clean probably up to you if you want to swap it out.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:17 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Wow. New to 992 ownership here.
A routine service for oil/filter, wiper blades/fluid, air/cabin filters etc. for $545.
I think I'll be doing my own after the first included service.
I found a DIY place not too far away with two-post lifts for rent so basic service will be a snap, including brake fluid, which I'm very practiced at.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:49 PM
bighoward503
Rennlist Member

Good catch! I ordered the cabin filter and pre air intake just in case.
Rich_Jenkins (09-01-2021)

Quick Reply: 20,000 Service Due