991.2 A/C Evaporator Freeze

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 09:44 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Default 991.2 A/C Evaporator Freeze

This hasn't happened to me since my horrible mistake of a car 2005 Subaru Legacy GT.

On a drive today, and about an hour in I start noticing I'm getting pretty warm and airflow isn't really.. there anymore. The evaporator froze.

It was sunny, 70F, and around 55% humidity outside. I had the HVAC set to 71, auto, and the seat cooler on the lowest setting. I usually don't leave the seat cooler on for longer than a few minutes, but I forgot about it... if the cooled seats simply use the existing HVAC for drawing cool air instead of a peltier, this could explain it.

Simply turning off the A/C and turning the fan up to max manually for around ten minutes finally brought the vent air down to ambient temperatures. Turned the A/C back on (with seat cooler off) and didn't have an issue for the rest of the drive, about 1.5 hours.

Anyone else ever have this happen on their 991.2? I figured it'd have a defrost cycle.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:56 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 587 Likes on 396 Posts

A dirty evap coil will typically freeze over as the dirt blocks airflow. Lack of airflow, less heat getting to the evap coil and it freezes. Or it could be anything else blocking airflow further upstream. Leaves in the air ducts?
Old 08-21-2021, 11:31 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

A frozen evaporator can indicate a low system refrigerant charge. Have seen it happen on a/c systems before.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:45 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 537 Posts

Reasonable guess is low refrigerant. If you thawed things out though and it works I definitely then obviously not. If it happens again, my bet is low refrigerant. Still under warranty!
I needed a recharge on my car twice. Ended up being a bad hose crimp at the compressor I believe.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:15 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yeah, the only new variable here from normal driving is I had the seat cooler on low the whole time. I'll have to look into exactly what kind of seat cooler system Porsche uses eventually, but otherwise yeah I'll hook up some gauges to the A/C lines and double check refrigerant -- didn't even occur to me to do that, lol.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2021, 01:30 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
Yeah, the only new variable here from normal driving is I had the seat cooler on low the whole time. I'll have to look into exactly what kind of seat cooler system Porsche uses eventually, but otherwise yeah I'll hook up some gauges to the A/C lines and double check refrigerant -- didn't even occur to me to do that, lol.

Thanks!
Were you on max seat cooling when the cold air stopped flowing? Maybe there is some coordinated attempt not to over cool you from 2 sides? The Porsche seat cooling is so much more effective than my Audi B9 Allroad. The 911 seats actually really cool me down. It’s a great setup for those that might want them but have experienced less than impressive cooling in other cars.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:34 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack F
Were you on max seat cooling when the cold air stopped flowing? Maybe there is some coordinated attempt not to over cool you from 2 sides? The Porsche seat cooling is so much more effective than my Audi B9 Allroad. The 911 seats actually really cool me down. It’s a great setup for those that might want them but have experienced less than impressive cooling in other cars.
Nope, had it on the lowest setting the whole time.

I find that I stop noticing the cooling seats running after 5-10 minutes anyhow, which is why I only run it for a few minutes when I first get into the car.
Old 08-22-2021, 02:47 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

The ventilated seats in our cars only has a fan that pulls a vacuum on the seat bottom and back.
There is no connection to the A/C system with them.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:48 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by arter
The ventilated seats in our cars only has a fan that pulls a vacuum on the seat bottom and back.
There is no connection to the A/C system with them.
Yes, thank you. I don't have ventilated seats but was always under the impression its operation was only a fan(s) pulling air through the seat.
Old 08-23-2021, 03:26 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Good to know! Some use peltiers, some use the HVAC, and some just move air (ventilated vs cooled).
Old 08-23-2021, 03:28 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
Reasonable guess is low refrigerant. If you thawed things out though and it works I definitely then obviously not. If it happens again, my bet is low refrigerant. Still under warranty!
I needed a recharge on my car twice. Ended up being a bad hose crimp at the compressor I believe.
My 2013 needed an A/C charge last year. Not sure they found a leak.

Quick Reply: 991.2 A/C Evaporator Freeze