Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles is too many?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 01:54 PM
gutenfreibier
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

How would you view a car with very little in the way of maintenance records, because things just didn't break? If all the timely oil changes, serpentine belt, brakes, spark plugs, etc were addressed and accounted for in the records, would that be sufficient to see? Or do you tend to want to see multiple things having been replaced?

Last edited by Jack F; 08-22-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-20-2021, 01:58 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by gutenfreibier
How would you view a car with very little in the way of maintenance records, because things just didn't break? If all the timely oil changes, serpentine belt, brakes, spark plugs, etc were addressed and accounted for in the records, would that be sufficient to see? Or do you tend to want to see multiple things having been replaced?
Fortunately, that is how most of the vehicles we own have been. Just maintenance items, and wear items with no additional servicing.

Regular/more frequent replacement of wear items often just reflect the vehicle. For example, my C63 went through a set of rear tires every 6-8k miles / once a year. Oddly, the 911 is getting 3x the mileage out of the rear tires, and I feel that I drive the same way. The rear weight distribution plays a large part in that.
Old 08-20-2021, 02:04 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
For example, my C63 went through a set of rear tires every 6-8k miles / once a year. Oddly, the 911 is getting 3x the mileage out of the rear tires, and I feel that I drive the same way. The rear weight distribution plays a large part in that.
I'd imagine it's the torque more than anything.
Old 08-20-2021, 03:16 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
I'd imagine it's the torque more than anything.
Probably a bit of both. The C63 would spin/smoke the tires before hooking up, and the 911 just hooks up with less wheel spin.

Both are fun for their own reasons
Old 08-22-2021, 12:55 AM
JK88
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It very much depends on the cars. the major maintenance schedule hits around 40-50k.(which cost a lot). If the previous owner had been kept scheduled maintenance and replaced parts: brake rotors and pad, brake fluid, spark plugs, drive belt, transmission/gear oil, I think you don't need to worry much.

Ask for the service history.

If you intend to keep that car for several years, you will have to replace all the busing at some point. That will also cost a lot, but def worth it.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:44 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by gutenfreibier

If the car had very few maintenance records and service was missed, this would be a negative. Things breaking would be a warranty or out of warranty repair. Either service records through dealer or records of diy would be ok for most folks.

Quick Reply: How many miles is too many?