Sponsored by:

Replacing A 991

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 04:09 PM
Jay2Lab
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Replacing A 991

Every time I think about letting go of my 991.1 GTS, I take it out for a drive to change my mind. This past week I had to drive my kids around. I was shocked to find out they no longer fit in the back, so we had to load up the minivan. They sprouted in the past 18 months 6-8”. Now I have to decide what to do for my weekend fun car that can fit the family. (I will still have another other weekend fun car I take out whenever I’m driving solo or have a single passenger.) My requirements are a manual transmission sedan or wagon. I’ve narrowed it down to a BMW E39 M5.

So my question to everyone here is, what other cars would you consider replacing your 991 for if you needed more room in the back seats and it came with a manual transmission? Or is this the time to consider a Taycan?

Thanks,

J
Old 08-06-2021, 04:13 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 742 Likes on 526 Posts

Audi RS whatever. Model based on size needs.
The following users liked this post:
IrwinMFletcher (08-07-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 04:29 PM
Jay2Lab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack F
Audi RS whatever. Model based on size needs.
Thanks, @Jack F, for the suggestion. I'm not too familiar with Audis, so I'll definitely take a look at their offerings. I guess I'll need to look for an older model since I don't see a way to build one of their cars with a manual transmission. I realize I need to step away from my BMW and Porsche bias and explore other manufacturers.

Best,

--
J
Old 08-06-2021, 05:41 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay2Lab
So my question to everyone here is, what other cars would you consider replacing your 991
I don't think my 991 is replaceable. I've driven many cars since owning my 991 and nothing is worth my attention.

Putting myself in your shoes: Macan GTS or Turbo, or even an S. Still a Porsche, still quick and good looking, 4 doors and space in the back. Keep it in the family.
GT3FZS (08-09-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 05:44 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 315 Posts

My thought process is that my kids are 5 and 7, and we're not big people - they'll either fit as teenagers or at that point in life, they will be old enough that they won't think their dad is cool anymore, and won't want to ride in my 911 anyway

But I'm sort of the opposite thought process - I can see a situation 8-10 years from now where I will trade my 991.1 for a 992.2 GT3 Touring, should I have the opportunity to find a CPO'd one (because I'll never get an allocation on a new one!).
Old 08-06-2021, 06:05 PM
captainslow21
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I did a similar search recently and decided on keeping my 911. The list of manual "family" sports cars is pretty depressing. As another user mentioned, Audi makes great cars but nothing manual in their latest lineup. The new Golf R has a manual option and is highly regarded by many, but what a step down from your current ride. Godspeed and report back if you find a suitable alternative. Macan S/GTS would be cool if they offered a manual.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:14 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 315 Posts

Decided to poke around to see what sort of performance "family" vehicles out there have a MT. The "list" is not very long.
  • BMW M3 Sedan
  • Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
Golf R isn't that practical. I have one as a daily driver, the cargo space is laughably small if you're actually using the back seats for passengers. The front trunk in the 911 probably has as much usable space as the Golf trunk.
The following 2 users liked this post by koala:
edirtaynine (08-07-2021), NJ991 (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 06:15 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 223 Posts

If you need a manual you're out of luck. If you want a Porsche that handles like a sports car and can haul *** as well as your all your **** buy a Cayenne or a Macan. We just bought a Cayenne Turbo and I'm amazed. My best friend bought a Macan turbo and he feels the same way.
GT3FZS (08-09-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 06:27 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 457 Likes on 184 Posts

I’ve narrowed it down to a BMW E39 M5.
If you can get a manual E39 M5 in good shape, keep it and treasure it! It's one of the greatest sports sedans, period.

New -- most here won't consider it for a variety of reasons, but the Cadillac V series cars are amazing. I owned a V2 manual wagon and it's the only car I regret selling.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:45 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

replacing the "irreplaceable" would be a futile endeavor for me. no way would i ever do what you're contemplating here.

how often do you need to schlep the kids around? doesn't sound like it's too often if they've grown out of the 911 since the last time the went for a ride. i get that driving a minivan is borderline sacrilege and i wouldn't wish it on anyone.... but if it's only once in a while AND allows you to keep your 911??.....bring on the minivan imho!! =) (full disclosure...i've never driven a minivan and hope to keep it that way)

if you can't do the minivan thing once in a while or need to drive the kids more often, i'd buy any pre-owned/inexpensive/tolerable sedan i could (MT or not) as a dedicated "kids ride" and keep the 911. especially since your options are so limited in finding something that meets your criteria and puts a smile on your face.

just a thought/my 2 cents.

cpbmd (08-11-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 08:24 PM
Jay2Lab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
I don't think my 991 is replaceable. I've driven many cars since owning my 991 and nothing is worth my attention.
I feel the same way. I've thought about selling my 991 since I rarely drive it these days. I just sorted the suspension on my air-cooled and I tend to take that out while the 991 sits in the garage neglected. It's seeing about 100 miles/month.

Putting myself in your shoes: Macan GTS or Turbo, or even an S. Still a Porsche, still quick and good looking, 4 doors and space in the back. Keep it in the family.
The Macan is a great car but I really like driving with three pedals on weekends.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2021, 08:27 PM
Jay2Lab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by koala
My thought process is that my kids are 5 and 7, and we're not big people - they'll either fit as teenagers or at that point in life, they will be old enough that they won't think their dad is cool anymore, and won't want to ride in my 911 anyway
We're not big people either. I'm surprised that our kids are much taller than us. I was hoping to keep them in the back seats of the 911s for another 4-5 years.

But I'm sort of the opposite thought process - I can see a situation 8-10 years from now where I will trade my 991.1 for a 992.2 GT3 Touring, should I have the opportunity to find a CPO'd one (because I'll never get an allocation on a new one!).
A GT3 would be great to have one day. With no back seats, I would never have to worry about taking on two passengers.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:29 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Dont ever give up your 991 if you like it as much as you indicate. Unlike your 991, a classic uber- desirable Bimmer is more a hobby than a sure thing weekend car. If your kids don't think you are cool in a Macan or Cayenne GTS or Turbo, with a 991 for desert, consider trading them in.

The following 3 users liked this post by chuckbdc:
GT3FZS (08-09-2021), myrr (08-07-2021), Pb Pedis (08-07-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 08:34 PM
Jay2Lab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by koala
Decided to poke around to see what sort of performance "family" vehicles out there have a MT. The "list" is not very long.
  • BMW M3 Sedan
  • Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
Golf R isn't that practical. I have one as a daily driver, the cargo space is laughably small if you're actually using the back seats for passengers. The front trunk in the 911 probably has as much usable space as the Golf trunk.
Definitely not interested in another M3. I just swapped out my wife's 986 Boxster for an E46 M3 to fit the kids in the back seat of her car. It's great for short rides but we don't take it if we plan on driving around with the kids for more than 45 minutes.

Cadillacs would be new to me. I'll need to browser their lot next time I'm out. Probably when I check out the Audis.

My buddy had a Golf (not sure which model). It was a fun ride but we'll need room for passengers and luggage for overnights. This is the dilemma when trying to find a sports car that fits three young adults in the back seat.

Cheers!
Old 08-06-2021, 08:39 PM
Jay2Lab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Dont ever give up your 991 if you like it as much as you indicate. Unlike your 991, a classic uber- desirable Bimmer is more a hobby than a sure thing weekend car. If your kids don't think you are cool in a Macan or Cayenne GTS or Turbo, with a 991 for desert, consider trading them in.
Ha! My kid's activities are what lets me find new roads and go on cool drives. I drop them off and just find a cool road to explore until their activity completes. That's why I'm looking for a family-friendly sports car. Something I can get lost in for an hour or two while my kids play with their friends.

Quick Reply: Replacing A 991