Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing A 991

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 02:07 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 393 Posts

Car and Driver named the 4BW and 5BWs to their Ten Best list for 2022: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...4/10best-2022/. That's really saying something. Here's the quote I like: "Buying this car says you understand and know the difference between what has a good reputation and what's actually good. It's a vote for hardware over marketing. Cadillac put the driver's needs and wants over everything else, and the result is a sports sedan that will delight and impress for years to come, at least in part because nothing like it is likely to come along again."

Apparently, my CT4-V BW just arrived at the dealer, so I'll have to decide whether to buy it.
The following users liked this post:
Jstrauss (01-10-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 02:42 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay2Lab
Every time I think about letting go of my 991.1 GTS, I take it out for a drive to change my mind. This past week I had to drive my kids around. I was shocked to find out they no longer fit in the back, so we had to load up the minivan. They sprouted in the past 18 months 6-8”. Now I have to decide what to do for my weekend fun car that can fit the family. (I will still have another other weekend fun car I take out whenever I’m driving solo or have a single passenger.) My requirements are a manual transmission sedan or wagon. I’ve narrowed it down to a BMW E39 M5.

So my question to everyone here is, what other cars would you consider replacing your 991 for if you needed more room in the back seats and it came with a manual transmission? Or is this the time to consider a Taycan?

Thanks,

J
E39 M5 is one of my favorite sedans. I have a 991.2 and Taycan. 991.2 to me is the most appealing modern 911 and will be a sought-after classic. I ordered a '21 Taycan last year and LOVE IT especially for daily duty. If you can't procure a nice clean sorted E39 - go for the Taycan.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:49 PM
Tpup
Pro

Received 310 Likes on 145 Posts

Macan S, GTS, or Turbo. Fantastic car that drives like a 911 imo. No manual but you can drive it in manual mode.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:58 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking Macan sales...

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
I don't think my 991 is replaceable. I've driven many cars since owning my 991 and nothing is worth my attention.

Putting myself in your shoes: Macan GTS or Turbo, or even an S. Still a Porsche, still quick and good looking, 4 doors and space in the back. Keep it in the family.
Macan sales were through the roof, as I recall it was Porsche's biggest seller in 2021. I looked at the Macan GTS, but wifey wanted an all electric...got a Tesla Model Y for her, performance package of course. I snagged a 2017 Carrera GTS, what a beast when called upon and can be quite civil if need be.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:57 AM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 210 Posts

Ferrari FF. 4 seats and a V12. Not cheap but what a ride…
Old 01-13-2022, 11:58 PM
Jay2Lab
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
E39 M5 is one of my favorite sedans. I have a 991.2 and Taycan. 991.2 to me is the most appealing modern 911 and will be a sought-after classic. I ordered a '21 Taycan last year and LOVE IT especially for daily duty. If you can't procure a nice clean sorted E39 - go for the Taycan.
I've been using the online configuration tool to build a Taycan Cross Turismo. Hopefully one will show up at a dealer near me so I check it out in person. It's the only car I'm considering right now as a replacement for my 991.1.

--
J
Old 01-18-2022, 07:46 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

...aaaand I'm out.

We ordered a new '22 BMW 540i. There are personal reasons for moving out of a 2D MT sports car into a 4D automatic; time (and our bodies) move on. It's been a fantastic ownership experience, but the deal was too hard to pass up. It's a simple transaction, just paperwork. We avoid having to advertise the car, or pay sales tax, and will get a new car plus cash out of the deal.

We opted for picking up at the Performance Center in Spartanburg, hopefully in "March". This will be our second BMW PCD pickup, and my 6th BMW.

I'll definitely miss the 911. It's like no other car I've ever owned. Fast, yet practical at the same time. But I'm not working these days, and since it was my DD, I'm just not putting any miles on it. Using it for Date Night has been problematic, as neither of us is as spry as we used to be. Plus, when I bought it I was pretty sure this was my last MT car, and I was right. Add in the historic values these cars are going at right now, and it's a no brainer financially for us. Whoever ends up enjoying this car will get a full service history and sheaf of paperwork.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:14 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ducktails
If you can get a manual E39 M5 in good shape, keep it and treasure it! It's one of the greatest sports sedans, period.

New -- most here won't consider it for a variety of reasons, but the Cadillac V series cars are amazing. I owned a V2 manual wagon and it's the only car I regret selling.
Love my M5 but manual would be a resale value killer.

Quick Reply: Replacing A 991