Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing A 991

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 04:41 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 236 Posts

Another possibility to help you keep the 991 GTS would be to load it on a trailer towed by your SUV/ Truck family car. Once arrived to your destination, drop the kids, unload the 991 and enjoy your 1 to 2 hours spirited drive.
Old 08-13-2021, 02:42 AM
Jay2Lab
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Watson
Another possibility to help you keep the 991 GTS would be to load it on a trailer towed by your SUV/ Truck family car. Once arrived to your destination, drop the kids, unload the 991 and enjoy your 1 to 2 hours spirited drive.
This would seem like an ideal solution if my destination was more than a few hours away or when we drive anywhere out of state. I know there are plenty of roads to explore outside of my area. Right now, the longest drive to drop off the kids is 60 minutes.
The following users liked this post:
CFM3 (01-09-2022)
Old 08-13-2021, 03:20 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

I gave my current DD Touring a rest this week and stretched my prior DD 991.1 GTS cab's legs. I should make a YouTube video, comparing the two, they are so different. But I must say, the GTS is no slouch and I actually find myself hitting 90 mph more often in the GTS, probably because it is a PDK and it is only a matter of hitting the throttle. Also, in the GTS, in normal mode with PSE off, the car is remarkably quiet, even at 90+ mph, so it is easy to hit high speeds without realizing it. In the Touring, whether I am going 90 in 3rd or 6th, it is loud (albeit a lot louder in 3rd).

For the average Porsche 911 enthusiast, I think the GTS is the perfect mix of sportiness and daily drivability. The 991.2 Touring, objectively, beats the 991.1 GTS in all parameters. But in ways, the GTS is the more practical car and certainly the more titratable car. The Touring is a beast that wants to eat up the road but can be docile when duty calls.

I'd keep your GTS. The days of NA Carreras are over. The 991.1 GTS is already seen as a highly desirable car and that is only going to increase with time. Mine will never be for sale, but it sure is fun watching the drama unfold on BaT and Pcarmarket.
Old 08-13-2021, 02:30 PM
Jay2Lab
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
I gave my current DD Touring a rest this week and stretched my prior DD 991.1 GTS cab's legs. I should make a YouTube video, comparing the two, they are so different. But I must say, the GTS is no slouch and I actually find myself hitting 90 mph more often in the GTS, probably because it is a PDK and it is only a matter of hitting the throttle. Also, in the GTS, in normal mode with PSE off, the car is remarkably quiet, even at 90+ mph, so it is easy to hit high speeds without realizing it. In the Touring, whether I am going 90 in 3rd or 6th, it is loud (albeit a lot louder in 3rd).

For the average Porsche 911 enthusiast, I think the GTS is the perfect mix of sportiness and daily drivability. The 991.2 Touring, objectively, beats the 991.1 GTS in all parameters. But in ways, the GTS is the more practical car and certainly the more titratable car. The Touring is a beast that wants to eat up the road but can be docile when duty calls.

I'd keep your GTS. The days of NA Carreras are over. The 991.1 GTS is already seen as a highly desirable car and that is only going to increase with time. Mine will never be for sale, but it sure is fun watching the drama unfold on BaT and Pcarmarket.
Thanks for the insight, @Porsche911GTS'16 . The GT3T is definitely a car I would consider upgrading my GTS for if I could make it happen. I need back seats in all of our cars for the next six years and I would probably need to sell both my 911s for it to work financially.
Porsche911GTS'16 (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 07:08 PM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

depending on the type of driver you are, either an Lexus LC500 or a BMW M2CS could be good choices to "change" to
Old 08-14-2021, 10:04 PM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Try out an E90 M3. The engine is great, slap a CF plenum on top and it will roar. Yes the car is heavier than a 911 so it will feel a tad clumsy but it's quite capable, fun and comfortable for a DD.
Full disclosure: I have an E92 next to the GTS and somewhat biased...
This. Peak ///M engine character and BMW and can carry backseat passengers (4 doors too!). 8,400 RPM and independent throttle bodies and two car seats in the back if you need them. This is my dream for a car next to my 991.

As someone said in the other similar thread I think the E9x Bimmers are just so much win as a daily driver. Even the 335i or 335xi are worth considering if you want more comfort and relaxation yet most of the power. Since it is winter here I’ll probably end up with a 335xi but still lust for the M3. Love Porsche but BMW really has some superb engines then AND now. Plus the most comfortable seats.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:00 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by ducktails
Side note, I got the same idea recently; but getting a CT5 Blackwing allocation at the moment seems roughly equivalent to getting a GT3 allocation. This is coming from someone with purchase history on a V2 manual CTS-V wagon
Originally Posted by Schn3ll
I've heard similar, which is weird because I don't recall Caddy saying they would be limited, aside from the 500 pre-orders. It's probably just a factor of the chip shortage and GM pushing production to the vehicles with highest profit margin (I doubt a bespoke blackwing is their profit leader - my guess is Escalade or some large trucks).
The Caddy BWs are hard to get but no where near impossible (or GT3-like). On the BW group on FB, there are a few dealers (in TX and FL, at least) that will take orders at MSRP. I even found a dealer in NJ who eventually took an order for a 4BW at MSRP. I put in the order in Oct or Nov, not expecting it to go into production for a while…and learned recently it’s being built this month!

I also encourage either stopping into or calling local dealers and see if you get any traction. I stopped into a dealer with my GT4 and happened to get the real enthusiast sales guy (drives a 987 Cayman S). At first they said No to MSRP, so I just told I didn’t mind buying out of state (and then listed the seven remote states in which I had bought cars) and that if they sold me a car, I would be very loyal, as I was to the P dealer that sold me my GT4. It worked!

I have a relatively new BMW M2C (MT), which I love, so I am eager to see the difference with the CT4-V BW.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:36 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,545 Likes on 959 Posts

I faced the same issue when my boys hit age 13-14. I kept my Porsche and bought a pickup truck with a crew cab.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:26 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

2010/2011 Cayenne GTS manual transmission
Old 01-09-2022, 01:10 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
The Caddy BWs are hard to get but no where near impossible (or GT3-like). On the BW group on FB, there are a few dealers (in TX and FL, at least) that will take orders at MSRP. I even found a dealer in NJ who eventually took an order for a 4BW at MSRP. I put in the order in Oct or Nov, not expecting it to go into production for a while…and learned recently it’s being built this month!

I also encourage either stopping into or calling local dealers and see if you get any traction. I stopped into a dealer with my GT4 and happened to get the real enthusiast sales guy (drives a 987 Cayman S). At first they said No to MSRP, so I just told I didn’t mind buying out of state (and then listed the seven remote states in which I had bought cars) and that if they sold me a car, I would be very loyal, as I was to the P dealer that sold me my GT4. It worked!
That's awesome and congratulations! Some good advice there - and a road trip is a great way to collect a car. Interesting point about dealer loyalty I wish I had learned sooner. In the current market, perhaps implying that the Porsche one drives up in could be trade-in could help. "Oh, yeah I've had this old GT4 for a while, I'm not sure what it's worth, maybe I'll trade it"
Old 01-09-2022, 01:35 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

Take a Cayenne Turbo S out for a spin
Old 01-09-2022, 02:27 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Simple solution- tell the kids you have a your eye on a 10 year old Toyota or Nissan minivan with bench seats and a built in vacuum. If they don't stop complaining about squeezing into the 911, guess what will be in driveway and what you will use to drop them off in front of all the kids at school. Kids today?
ICU991812 (01-12-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 03:56 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,507 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Simple solution- tell the kids you have a your eye on a 10 year old Toyota or Nissan minivan with bench seats and a built in vacuum. If they don't stop complaining about squeezing into the 911, guess what will be in driveway and what you will use to drop them off in front of all the kids at school. Kids today?
I already did that. Manual turbo dodge caravan
PJ Cayenne (01-09-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 07:16 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
I faced the same issue when my boys hit age 13-14. I kept my Porsche and bought a pickup truck with a crew cab.
Nice- Which crew cab pick up did you get?
Old 01-10-2022, 01:41 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Caddy BW 4 MT

The Caddy BW looks like the best new sedan built by leaps and bounds and a bargain to boot. To me it beats the M4 due to reasonable matenance cost.

I really wish I could get over my own hangup about judging how these cars look from a demographics standpoint (age, NJ, etc) . This is a really great car made in the US. Perhaps the first ever. Alas, I will have to settle for the new Bronco (different class, same origin country) for now until I get old enough to look cute hitting on the waitress and don't care.

I have a relatively new BMW M2C (MT), which I love, so I am eager to see the difference with the CT4-V BW.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Replacing A 991