Sponsored by:

CarPlay install report

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 10:53 AM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
I posted based only on what I read from the links you posted. Suncoast says the Aftermarket Radio Installation Kit "Fits cars with the base audio system, NOT compatible with BOSE or Burmester Sound Package." As for the Kenwood head unit itself at the other posted link, for that to work with BOSE it would have to output its audio as an optical digital signal that's coupled to the BOSE amplifiers via the car's MOST fiber-optic network. I didn't see anything on the website for the Kenwood unit indicating it does that. Rather, the specs page for the Kenwood head unit show it's got conventional analog outputs including on board power amps (4x50 watts) and 3 preouts. Crutchfield, by the way, indicates the ddx9903s head unit is discontinued.

I think something like this might be able to work with BOSE if the pre-outs could be converted to fiber-optic digital signals compatible with the BOSE system. This box (or something like it) might be able to do that: https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Decod.../dp/B07J463FM7.
Theres a version w/ a kit for aftermarket radios to work with Bose/Berm.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X1BOSE.html
Old 08-27-2021, 11:10 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mic_crispy
Theres a version w/ a kit for aftermarket radios to work with Bose/Berm.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X1BOSE.html
This would seem to work for Bose and Burmeister. I'd consider going this route, rather than adding a CarPlay board to my PCM, if I could find an aftermarket head unit that replicated the PCM's core functionality beyond Nav, music, and cameras (e.g., among other things, sport chrono support, park distance). This solution, though, apparently does not support park distance, which I have on my car. Wish there was something that just worked for everything.

Last edited by LSR; 08-27-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:31 PM
d--
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
This would seem to work for Bose and Burmeister. I'd consider going this route, rather than adding a CarPlay board to my PCM, if I could find an aftermarket head unit that replicated the PCM's core functionality beyond Nav, music, and cameras (e.g., among other things, sport chrono support, park distance). This solution, though, apparently does not support park distance, which I have on my car. Wish there was something that just worked for everything.

i know how you feel. I suspect in several years Porsche Classic will introduce something. In the meantime, I don’t think we have any other options.

ZZ2 for me.

Quick Reply: CarPlay install report