Sponsored by:

CarPlay install report

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 05:45 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default CarPlay install report

I had CarPlay and a backup camera installed in my 2014 cab (manual transmission, latest PCM, parking sensors, no camera). Here is the story and a detailed review of the system, including the several features you lose with it.

Based on recommendations on Rennlist, I had the install done by California Car Sounds in Campbell, CA. I went there and asked about having an NM Automotive system installed. They said they were very familiar and could do it. I brought the car to them but just as they were to start work they called and told me that I was supposed to supply the NM Automotive hardware. No mention of this was made at my initial interview.Raymond, who seems to run the place, said they had a system from ZZ2 (www.zz-2.com) that is the same as the NM Automotive system. He said they like it because if there are any issues they get parts shipped from the US, not the UK, and it has a 3 year warranty instead of 1 year. They had the car (it was a bit of a pain to get it to them), so I went ahead with the ZZ2 system.

They completed the install in one day.

Aside from some dirt around, and smudges/smears on the paint and glass, I detect no evidence of the work. They seem to know their stuff.
Aside: Raymond said they will not even install a Joyeauto. They don’t like it at all.

CarPlay is accessed by pressing the NAVI button twice (once if you are already on that screen). The CarPlay seems to work fine, as you would expect. I’m using it wirelessly. There is a USB plug (hanging above the stock plug) if I wanted to do wired. I haven’t tried that. Note that the Bluetooth from the PCM is still there, but you have to disconnect from it to use the CarPlay. But generally all the standard car functions are intact.

There is a “Porsche” button that lets me get to Siri. I have made calls, played Audible, Spotify, and Podcasts, and used Waze and Maps without a problem.

The main thing I wanted, automatic reconnect when I start the car, seems to work OK, though it takes a while.

The backup camera comes on automatically in reverse, and has a good view and resolution. There are no lines that turn with the wheels. I don’t know if that is a difference between NM and ZZ. I prefer not to have them.

The CarPlay cuts off right away when the car is turned off. It does not keep running on retained accessory power like the PCM. This shouldn’t be a problem, it is just a difference.

Here are the issues, some of which are expected, and some not:

1. As expected, the phone buttons on the steering wheel and under the main display are now useless. Oh, well. It would be nice if they tied them in. The “Phone” button on the PCM seems to work, though.

2. There is a new microphone. It is glued to the steering column in a bad place so it blocks the bottom of the speed readout that is at the bottom of the tach. I’ll likely get them to shift it to one side.

3. The distance display from the ultrasonic sensors does not appear, either going forward, or when the backup camera is up. They said this is because my car is manual and the “signals are not put onto the Canbus like they are in the automatic cars”. All I know is that it used to appear, and now it doesn’t. The audio signal is still present, you just don’t know where it is coming from. I don’t know if this is a limitation just with the ZZ2 system or if the NM would have the same problem.

If I am out of CarPlay mode AND trigger the audible alert, I can come out of reverse (turning off the backup camera) and see usual display of the alerts on the PCM, and sometimes it comes up if I’m moving forward IF I am out of CarPlay mode.

4. The microphone is very poor quality. People I talk to on the phone say I sound distant and tinny, and it cuts out with wind noise. By contrast, the speaker phone in the iPhone sounds good to them.5. I wanted to pair my wife’s phone so she could use it when driving, but I can’t find a way to do that (pair a second phone).

6. The mute buttons on the steering wheel and PCM volume controls mute the output, but don’t pause.

The install cost a bit over $2,000 (ZZ2, camera, and installation).

Overall, I would give it 3 out of 5 stars. It loses one because of the functional problems, and a second because it costs too much to have issues like a bad mic.

Last edited by RichardA; 07-29-2021 at 05:47 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RichardA:
fluguy (07-30-2021), gnne60 (07-29-2021), lucas.kent (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 06:33 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

Sorry to hear. I really think for the money, I would not expect all the issues you have.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
Carrera991 (07-30-2021), RichardA (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 06:57 PM
lucas.kent
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

@RichardA thank you for your review. My local installer also has indicated that they will install the ZZ2 system, and for the same reasons you indicated (warranty and U.S.-based assistance). I have a time scheduled next month for the install, and the price is very similar to yours. I would be interested in others if these limitations are universal or are unique with the ZZ2 system.
The following users liked this post:
RichardA (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 09:00 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 600 Posts

ahhh bummer, yah for the $2,000 price tag it should work A LOT better.

I did the install myself and for around the $700 price tag it's been a flawless integration with the rear view camera tapping into the canbus to give me the steering lines that move, which gives a nice OEM polished feel. Every now and then I need to reboot the system, but overall I am super happy with my Gen 1 NM Auto product. I recently moved to LA or else I would have been happy to work with you to install it. The install is not THAT hard once you do it a few times (I had to install and unistall a few times as I added the backup camera later)

noahabel (07-30-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 10:44 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joec500
ahhh bummer, yah for the $2,000 price tag it should work A LOT better.

I did the install myself and for around the $700 price tag it's been a flawless integration with the rear view camera tapping into the canbus to give me the steering lines that move, which gives a nice OEM polished feel. Every now and then I need to reboot the system, but overall I am super happy with my Gen 1 NM Auto product. I recently moved to LA or else I would have been happy to work with you to install it. The install is not THAT hard once you do it a few times (I had to install and unistall a few times as I added the backup camera later)
Do you have PDK or manual? I don't really want the lines, but I would like the park distance sensor display. Do you get the park distance display?

-- Rich
Old 07-30-2021, 03:49 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RichardA
Do you have PDK or manual? I don't really want the lines, but I would like the park distance sensor display. Do you get the park distance display?

-- Rich
Yes I get the park distance display AND The moving lines just like the OEM Porsche BackUp camera has. I have a manual transmission car.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:20 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joec500
Yes I get the park distance display AND The moving lines just like the OEM Porsche BackUp camera has. I have a manual transmission car.
What year is your car?

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your PCM screen when the car is in reverse showing the camera and sensors? If it included your manual transmission, that would be even better.

This is what ZZ2 wrote to me:

Most of the Porsche vehicles from 2012-2016, equipped with manual transmission, don't have the reverse information in the CAN BUS line in the vehicle. CAN bus is a set of 2 electrical wires (CAN_Low & CAN_High) in the car network where information can be sent to and from ECUs. So if this information is not available in the CAN BUS line our unit can't read the reverse data, not allowing the module to provide the Dynamic Lines in reverse or to display the little Parking Sensor diagram on the screen. So basically 99% of the manual transmission vehicles, if you add a rear camera, you will see an image with the static lines provided by the camera and that is pretty much it. You still can hear the beep from the sensors, but the diagram is not going to be available, because the image of the camera takes priority on the screen.
When I questioned them further, they wrote:

The reason why you are not getting parking sensors on the screen is because the rear camera image takes priority over the sensor diagram. The CAN bus information I gave was regarding Dynamic Parking Assistant lines. I apologize for my confusion.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:40 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

he's full of ****, I have a 2013 991.1 Manual with those lines AND Park Distance Control. DM me your email and I'll take a video when I get a chance.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:19 PM
UH2
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, the NM unit allows you to use the onboard PCM Microphone. They actually encourage it. Also, I haven't heard of the sensor issues with MT cars on the NM unit...but I run PDK so I may be misinformed there.

For $2,000, I feel like you got ripped off. Sorry.

Carrera991 (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 10:03 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Originally Posted by UH2
Yeah, the NM unit allows you to use the onboard PCM Microphone. They actually encourage it. Also, I haven't heard of the sensor issues with MT cars on the NM unit...but I run PDK so I may be misinformed there.

For $2,000, I feel like you got ripped off. Sorry.
I thought I read elsewhere that you had to install a new mic. Or maybe that was just in a cab?

I don't think $2,000 is much of a rip-off in the bay area. I think it was about $700 for the ZZ2, $150 for the camera, and the rest was most of a day's labor installing (a little harder in a cab), and outrageous California tax. I think it could be worse, but I do want it to work well for that kind of money.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:30 PM
UH2
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I thought I read elsewhere that you had to install a new mic. Or maybe that was just in a cab?

I don't think $2,000 is much of a rip-off in the bay area. I think it was about $700 for the ZZ2, $150 for the camera, and the rest was most of a day's labor installing (a little harder in a cab), and outrageous California tax. I think it could be worse, but I do want it to work well for that kind of money.
I have a Cab, FYI.

The NM kit comes with a mic but you don't have to use it. Nick even suggests you use the OEM mic instead as it's higher quality...which is what I'm doing. Calls go through the PCM with the OEM mic like it was stock. It works great.

I bought a camera from Aliexpress for $25 which replaces one of the lights in the license frame, so I didn't have to drill any holes. Running the wire to the front was slightly more difficult but I was able to do it in short order.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:32 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

So, did you get the system working the way you want it?
Old 08-06-2021, 06:16 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by UH2
I have a Cab, FYI.

The NM kit comes with a mic but you don't have to use it. Nick even suggests you use the OEM mic instead as it's higher quality...which is what I'm doing. Calls go through the PCM with the OEM mic like it was stock. It works great…..
About the part of your post quoted above … would you please clarify about the PCM mic? As I understand it, with the NM Automotive unit (and other units) you can make a phone call in either of 2 ways. First, I understand if you’re in PCM mode (CarPlay not active) you can make a phone call in the usual way using the PCM and it’s mic. Second, if you’re in CarPlay mode then a phone call can be made through CarPlay using the NM Automotive mic. Is this correct? Or, are you saying all phone calls go through the PCM mic, including calls via CarPly? Thanks.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:11 AM
Scottg1le
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

I sell the zz2 pieces and would say from my experience they are nice but probably no different than any other unit out there. They all come from China. The difference is, like you stated, the warranty and availability of tech support. Both of which make zz2 a great option for us as a shop.

The mic should have been placed up by the rear view mirror. To me, any shop that sticks it to your steering column would be extremely suspect as to their attention to detail and care, especially on a $100k car.

The way the zz2 piece works, it hijacks the video input input your screen. This is why your parking sensor screen does not pop up when you hit reverse. You would need to exit out of the carplay screen to see it. This is also why there are certain quirks here and there with the way it integrates. Just the nature of the beast.

poorshoeless (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 10:43 PM
LeJerk
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For the record, does anyone have a list of which units give you the back up camera lines that move with the steering wheel and those that don’t?

Quick Reply: CarPlay install report