Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone replaced their plastic door panels with leather ones?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 11:34 AM
Andy515
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Anyone replaced their plastic door panels with leather ones?

I currently have the plastic door panels that have warped so weighing my options to either just have them repaired or pick up a set of used leather panels instead. I currently don’t have the leather package so trying to figure out how it it look with leather doors without the leather dash. Anyone else done this?
Old 07-27-2021, 04:22 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

I haven't done it, but I am considering the same. I think it'd look fine - there is already top-stitching on the door handles for the plastic door cards, so to add some extra stitching to the top portion, it probably wouldn't look too out of place.

What I'm debating is if I want to go all out and replace the dash as well. Leather dashes come up on eBay for around $1,700-$2,000... it's then a question of if it can be a DIY-level project. I've watched a video of a body shop replacing the dash, and it is a ton of work for sure.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:53 PM
Reo_991T
Track Day

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Good question as I am a first time P owner. I have the Carrera T interior (black w/red stitching), but without the leather upgrade and without the deviated stitching on the dashboard or upper interior door panels. Seems as though the upgrade would be costly for a non-performance improvement, but a nice enhancement nonetheless.

If not realistic, I'm also considering the Exclusive Option dash speaker and center vent leather upgrade with red stitching to compliment the T interior should the leather dash and upper door panel leather is too much of a stretch. My only hesitation is that I have not seen pics of the black/red stitching dash speakers/center vents installed in a non-leather interior. Not sure how this upgrade would look in a non-leather Carrera T interior.

Any feedback from the folks who have been down this road would be greatly appreciated..!

Last edited by Reo_991T; 07-27-2021 at 06:56 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
IXIXI (07-27-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 10:40 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy515
I currently have the plastic door panels that have warped so weighing my options to either just have them repaired or pick up a set of used leather panels instead. I currently don’t have the leather package so trying to figure out how it it look with leather doors without the leather dash. Anyone else done this?

Sorry for the delay, I haven't been on the forum in awhile. I have replaced my vinyl door panels with leather. It's an easy swap, but it can snowball to other parts of the interior depending on your level of OCD. I did front and rear seats, door panels, rear seat panels, lower dash, A and B pillars, shift boot.....

You can see all the details in my upgrade thread.
DanQ Interior upgrade project

Last edited by DanQ; 10-04-2021 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:52 PM
waizc2s
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

I did full leather doors and center console sides in leather, along with alcantara a & b pillars. Made a noticeable difference in looks and feel, and blends in with the other vinyl parts fine. Thanks to DanQ to inspire and help me out on the project. Sourced the leather parts on eBay (be patient and eventually you will find good condition at a reasonable price) and most local upholstery shops can do the pillars in alcantara.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:58 PM
Andy515
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for the replies! I ordered some base panels with alcantara armrests but they are back ordered for like 5 months so may go the leather route still if I can find some. I already did the A and B pillars and added brushed aluminum trim so may go leather at this point.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:18 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

I basically have a GT3 leather interior now except for the stitched dash. I thought it would bother me, but it doesn't. It's probably better not to have leather on the dash taking a beating from the sun.

Quick Reply: Anyone replaced their plastic door panels with leather ones?