Sponsored by:

Best way to launch a 991.2 7MT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 09:38 PM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by biggreek
So, I've run into this problem and have decided to give up trying to do a "stoplight go brr" launch.

Now, I do have a .2 4GTS. So wheelspin/hop is null. But, I've heard many stories to where the stock clutch actually breaks when launched hard.
Whoa, I've never heard of any clutch doing that before. Are aftermarket clutches any better?

Old 07-21-2021, 10:00 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,124 Likes on 669 Posts

Here is what works for me in my 991.2 carrera t 7mt (1.9X 60 ft on Pirelli street tires). Turn traction control completely off, leave the suspension on normal, put the car in sport plus (not sure if this helps, but why not) and slip the clutch from around 2000 rpm. Let the clutch out too fast and it’s wheel hop city-but slip it easily enough and it’s been solid for me.
The following 3 users liked this post by polobai:
enzotcat (07-21-2021), Tier1Terrier (07-22-2021), tourenwagen (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 02:02 AM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by polobai
Here is what works for me in my 991.2 carrera t 7mt (1.9X 60 ft on Pirelli street tires). Turn traction control completely off,
Can you define "completely off"?

leave the suspension on normal, put the car in sport plus (not sure if this helps, but why not) and slip the clutch from around 2000 rpm. Let the clutch out too fast and it’s wheel hop city-but slip it easily enough and it’s been solid for me.
Yeah, it's crazy how much these cars can wheel hop. I always wondered if stiffer engine mounts would do much.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:50 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by circuiticon
I just want to be able to launch from a higher RPM to get rid of wheel hop. I was happy with how my manual Cayman S launched. The 911 is a downgrade in that respect.
Try the new cayman mt, they’re just as bad. 991.2 GTS PDK no issues at all. ;-)
Old 07-22-2021, 08:55 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

Where did I say that I bought the car just taking it drag racing? I didn't, so please stop assuming and putting words into my mouth.

Lots of high end cars are designed to go around turns, but they're still quick off the line. There's no reason the 911 shouldn't be as well. It's likely that a software fix could remedy this.

For the price and reputation the car has, it should be good at everything. It shouldn't lose off the line to an old Cayman.

This thread isn't for making excuses for the car's shortcomings. It's for discussing workarounds for this obvious flaw.
Ok, so I'll take what you're saying at face value.

You're frustrated because you spent all this money on a car and can't drive it like it's a Camaro, and you're expecting a forum to magically come up with a "software fix" for you?

I was just trying to gently suggest you're in for some heavy disappointment. Not everyone views this as a flaw, probably because most people in this demographic grew out of light to light racing 20 years ago.

Isn't the Turbo S about the quickest gas powered car off the line? Seems like that's about as good as it gets for a "haha stoplight go brr" kind of car.

Isn't the Turbo S only available in PDK?

I'll say it again and maybe you won't get your feelings hurt this time. The manual 911 is severely compromised from a performance perspective. Porsche only offers their cars in manual because the enthusiasts demand them, for reasons other than raw performance. Otherwise they'd do what virtually every other performance manufacturer has decided to do and move away from them.

Maybe someone smarter than me could begin to explain why the manual cars induce "wheel hop", but my guess is the power available in these cars these days is just too much for the transmission components to cope with. Maybe your "fix" is software-related... but it would just lead to breaking things. Does the 991.1 suffer from the same problem? Maybe it's just an inherent engineering flaw with the rear-engine layout. Someone knows, but not me. It doesn't bother me because I don't need to beat G35 sedans with peeling tint off the line at stoplights.

Just learn to love the other things the car is good at, or get one with a PDK. Or another Cayman.

edit- I found a relevant thread where this topic has come up before; these cars are just not meant to be launched hard and can result in a very expensive lesson:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1234...ment-cost.html

I'm just trying to save you from yourself.

Last edited by manifold danger; 07-22-2021 at 09:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by manifold danger:
bh1cqx (07-22-2021), George from MD (08-20-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 12:14 PM
polobai
Drifting

Can you define "completely off"?

hold the button down for 4-5 seconds and it will say TC OFF on the display and the traction light will come on.

Yeah, it's crazy how much these cars can wheel hop. I always wondered if stiffer engine mounts would do much.
not sure that will help much. I added a Dsc with launch control that stiffens the front shocks and makes the rear shocks soft on launch but have not tried out that feature yet.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:16 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
not sure that will help much. I added a Dsc with launch control that stiffens the front shocks and makes the rear shocks soft on launch but have not tried out that feature yet.
The wheel hop is partly from TC intervening at the 1st sign of loss of traction. Turning TC off will allow the wheel to spin more readily. Experimentally it does make a difference.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:39 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 285 Posts

What's the quickest way to launch a 991.2 7MT?

If I launch my car from the two step limiter (which is around 4000rpm), it results in a tremendous amount of wheel hop. My old Cayman S did the same thing from a 4000rpm launch, but it also allowed me to launch from a higher RPM. When I launched that car from 5500rpm I would get a little wheel spin, no hop, and a nice launch.

If I launch from around 2000rpm, the car will take off without wheel hop, but not as fast as I'd like it to.

Has anyone found a good method?
911's regardless of variety or transmission don't love to be launched. Wheel hop will be worse in an open dif car, but still can occur with LSD's. It's just not a platform built for launching and straight line.

Last edited by Ceepe; 07-22-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:16 PM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Ok, so I'll take what you're saying at face value.

You're frustrated because you spent all this money on a car and can't drive it like it's a Camaro, and you're expecting a forum to magically come up with a "software fix" for you?
Magic, eh? Plenty of cars have aftermarket options (such as tunes, etc) which allow them to launch from a higher RPM. You're acting like what I'm asking for is unreasonable when it's actually very common.

I was just trying to gently suggest you're in for some heavy disappointment. Not everyone views this as a flaw, probably because most people in this demographic grew out of light to light racing 20 years ago.
You mean the demographic who is primarily buying PDKs and enjoying the launch characteristics?

Or are you saying that people who enjoy a fast launch aren't grown up?

Listen my guy, you're missing the point of the thread. I really don't care how you use your 911. If I want my 7MT to be quicker off the line, then that's my prerogative. If that doesn't interest you, then please don't clutter up this thread.

Maybe someone smarter than me could begin to explain why the manual cars induce "wheel hop", but my guess is the power available in these cars these days is just too much for the transmission components to cope with. Maybe your "fix" is software-related... but it would just lead to breaking things.
Man, you're this close to understanding the point of this thread. I want to actually find out what the limitation(s) are and if it can be remedied. If it's just a software fix, that probably isn't difficult. If it requires an upgraded clutch as well, then so be it. We're not in uncharted territory, there are plenty of MT cars on the road today that can get off the line quickly.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:19 PM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
Try the new cayman mt, they’re just as bad. 991.2 GTS PDK no issues at all. ;-)
Are the new Cayman MTs limited to a ~4000rpm launch as well?
Old 07-22-2021, 05:20 PM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enzotcat
The wheel hop is partly from TC intervening at the 1st sign of loss of traction. Turning TC off will allow the wheel to spin more readily. Experimentally it does make a difference.
Hmm, that makes sense. I'll try both modes to see the difference.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:55 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

what 0-60 are you shooting for? what's your best so far?

i did not want to harm my car so i feathered it in and as soon as it was fully engaged gave it the beans. my best dragy valid time was 5.23 at 99 degrees F 1181ft asl DA 4237ft

Road and Track in 02/2012 got a 3.5 in a PDK 991 CS
Old 07-22-2021, 06:29 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

M

Or are you saying that people who enjoy a fast launch aren't grown up?

Listen my guy, you're missing the point of the thread. I really don't care how you use your 911. If I want my 7MT to be quicker off the line, then that's my prerogative. If that doesn't interest you, then please don't clutter up this thread.

Man, you're this close to understanding the point of this thread. I want to actually find out what the limitation(s) are and if it can be remedied. If it's just a software fix, that probably isn't difficult. If it requires an upgraded clutch as well, then so be it. We're not in uncharted territory, there are plenty of MT cars on the road today that can get off the line quickly.
Yeah, there's a direct correlation between people who say "my guy" and perceived maturity level. This is scientific fact, evidence in this thread notwithstanding.

Anyway, sure then. You'll get someone in here to chime in eventually that their APR stage 15 tune and greddy engine mounts solved the wheel hop problem. What I'm trying to do is save you the cost of all that plus a new clutch by suggesting you bought the wrong car for your intended purposes.

But millennials have to experience things directly for it to sink in, so... good luck?

Also since I'm feeling generous and would like to maintain that I'm still here to help, maybe this can help you reach your fullest potential at a stoplight: https://www.dscsport.com/

In theory, it should help with the wheel hop. At a minimum, most people agree it's a great, low-risk, low-cost mod.

Last edited by manifold danger; 07-22-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:34 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 234 Posts

OP, do you have Sports Chrono in your car?
My question behind is does the rpm limit when you take off increases if your are in Sport or Sport+ compared to normal mode? (I don’t think the rpm limit would change but it’s more for my personal knowledge). I think the rpm limit is to protect components.

I am sure Porsche engineers have a procedure to launch a MT 991 when they need to homologate official numbers for 0-60mph times (someone mentioned deactivating TC which is a good thing). The thing I don’t know is do they homologate the absolute best time they manage to get during homologation or do they take some sort of average. If it’s the former, it means it would probably not be possible to launch the car to consistently get the best launches.
The following users liked this post:
circuiticon (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 06:44 PM
polobai
Drifting

Originally Posted by enzotcat
You are correct, I was referring to the stiffer engine mounts not being much of a help with wheel hop.
The following 2 users liked this post by polobai:
circuiticon (07-22-2021), enzotcat (07-22-2021)

Quick Reply: Best way to launch a 991.2 7MT?