Sponsored by:

Thoughts on pricing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 06:23 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
Well, on the marketplace here I have not gotten one comment and I'm way way back on the pages now.
I gave it a bump for you.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:29 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
I gave it a bump for you.
Appreciate that!!
I was going to bump it eventually, when I had video clips to add.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:48 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

I think your price is fair. I'm at 17k miles ($145k MSRP) and the local dealer recently appraised it at $115k, in my case for agreed value insurance purposes.

GLWS and come back to post pics of the new toy...whatever it is!
The following users liked this post:
SConn (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 08:25 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

How much of this "how much is my car worth" speculation is based on what people are actually paying for these cars, and at what volume?

I think what's happening is that occasionally someone will be willing to pay top dollar for something that is hard to find. I don't think there's much consistency behind it... I've also seen anecdotally on these boards people struggling to sell their cars.

I think most on here would agree that Porsche people are a strange breed and very particular; just using myself as an example- I'd still happily be driving my 981 if I didn't happen to find a Carmine Red S/GTS, manual, sports exhaust, sports suspension, rear wheel steering with 18-way seats, certified with low miles and within reasonable driving distance. If it didn't match this minimum set of requirements, I'd sit on the purchase. Another example that may work in OP's favor though is that there are certainly folks who do prefer the naturally aspirated engine, and this "last of its kind" thing has its own appeal as well. I'm just not sure how many of these folks are out there, and of those how many are willing to pay current market premiums?

In any case, chances are the reality is that this "right buyer" could come along tomorrow, or two months from now.... or not at all.

It also should be noted that an asking price well north of $100k for a 991.1 would have been considered ridiculous a year ago. There's been a lot of speculation that the market would eventually cool... there's a chance that's already happened.

Last edited by manifold danger; 07-20-2021 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:55 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 852 Likes on 448 Posts

The dealer in town I spoke with took a look at his "magical" national dealer book and when I told him the miles, he said it reduced my car's value by over 17k!! I knew it would effect it somewhat, but my gosh! $17k! Sadly, I've only put about 5k of those miles on myself.

Great idea! I will do what you recommend. I just assumed by posting the options list, it would help with that. Thanks for your feedback!

Well, on the marketplace here I have not gotten one comment and I'm way way back on the pages now. I've listed it in CarGurus and I had one guy ask how long I've had it and where I got it (ooook?) and another guy wanted to make me an offer between $90-100K. Sorry.. I'm not desperate to sell.

I'm definitely negotiable, but it's only been a few days.

Thanks again all for your thoughts!
If the dealer you are buying the spyder from can broke the pass through deal 100k would net you the same as your asking
Old 07-20-2021, 10:09 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by manifold danger
How much of this "how much is my car worth" speculation is based on what people are actually paying for these cars, and at what volume?

I think what's happening is that occasionally someone will be willing to pay top dollar for something that is hard to find. I don't think there's much consistency behind it... I've also seen anecdotally on these boards people struggling to sell their cars.

I think most on here would agree that Porsche people are a strange breed and very particular; just using myself as an example- I'd still happily be driving my 981 if I didn't happen to find a Carmine Red S/GTS, manual, sports exhaust, sports suspension, rear wheel steering with 18-way seats, certified with low miles and within reasonable driving distance. If it didn't match this minimum set of requirements, I'd sit on the purchase. Another example that may work in OP's favor though is that there are certainly folks who do prefer the naturally aspirated engine, and this "last of its kind" thing has its own appeal as well. I'm just not sure how many of these folks are out there, and of those how many are willing to pay current market premiums?

In any case, chances are the reality is that this "right buyer" could come along tomorrow, or two months from now.... or not at all.

It also should be noted that an asking price well north of $100k for a 991.1 would have been considered ridiculous a year ago. There's been a lot of speculation that the market would eventually cool... there's a chance that's already happened.
Totally agree with this and that's why I wanted people's opinion. I realize prices are inflated right now, so yes, I am taking advantage of the current market. Can't blame anyone for that really. But, my asking price is just a starting price and I honestly don't expect to get my full asking price. But it's easier to come down than go up.

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
If the dealer you are buying the spyder from can broke the pass through deal 100k would net you the same as your asking
Considered this as well, however, with the current stop sale, the dealers may not be interested in my car. And also, a Spyder is just one in the mix I'm considering. If my car sells, I'm sitting out this winter, especially since I don't drive it in bad weather anyway. Then this spring I'll be looking into the replacement.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:05 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Totally agree with this and that's why I wanted people's opinion. I realize prices are inflated right now, so yes, I am taking advantage of the current market. Can't blame anyone for that really. But, my asking price is just a starting price and I honestly don't expect to get my full asking price. But it's easier to come down than go up.

And I certainly wish you luck. I can't sit here and say I haven't considered doing the same, even though I just got my car last year. If the BMW M2 CS was more widely available I would have driven one by now... and the Audi RS6 is incredibly appealing to me... I just like cars, and as near-perfect as the 911 is, I'm probably always going to be considering its replacement! With the market as hot as it is it's foolish not to, really... for me personally though a private sale is out of the question. The only way I'd do it personally is if I could cash in on a high trade value on a car that isn't experiencing the same sort of peak value. I actually just did this very thing with my Audi S3; I got a trade in value just shy of what I bought it for 2 years ago (factor in tax savings in my state and it's damn near zero cost of ownership for the last 2 years), and I moved into a 2 year newer S4 for a reasonable price because they're more widely available. New cars that aren't being marked up are another solid consideration.

No way I'd deal with trying to sell privately. Just the pain of that process alone is enough to turn me away.

Another thing to consider though is that a lot of people weighing in on this forum are probably not in the market, or are biased one way or another... but really, where else would you ask?
Old 07-21-2021, 11:18 AM
SConn
Drifting

And I certainly wish you luck. I can't sit here and say I haven't considered doing the same, even though I just got my car last year. If the BMW M2 CS was more widely available I would have driven one by now... and the Audi RS6 is incredibly appealing to me... I just like cars, and as near-perfect as the 911 is, I'm probably always going to be considering its replacement! With the market as hot as it is it's foolish not to, really... for me personally though a private sale is out of the question. The only way I'd do it personally is if I could cash in on a high trade value on a car that isn't experiencing the same sort of peak value. I actually just did this very thing with my Audi S3; I got a trade in value just shy of what I bought it for 2 years ago (factor in tax savings in my state and it's damn near zero cost of ownership for the last 2 years), and I moved into a 2 year newer S4 for a reasonable price because they're more widely available. New cars that aren't being marked up are another solid consideration.

No way I'd deal with trying to sell privately. Just the pain of that process alone is enough to turn me away.

Another thing to consider though is that a lot of people weighing in on this forum are probably not in the market, or are biased one way or another... but really, where else would you ask?
Thanks Manifold for your thoughts. I know the people on this forum as smart car enthusiasts. It's exactly your opinions I wanted 😊
Loved your comment "I just like cars, and as perfect as the 911 is, I'm probably always going to be considering it's replacement." So so true for me as well. This is the longest I've kept a car in a while and the one I've struggled with most to sell. In a perfect world, this is one I'd keep forever.
I am usually with you on selling privately. It's akin to shoving sharp things under your fingernails.
The reason I decided to try to sell privately in this case is because I don't know 100% what I'm moving onto next. It's all going to hinge on more information on the new Emira when it's released.

The market can change at any time. The stop sale is eventually going to end, which will again change things. So I figured if I'm really going to move on, best do it now.

I did have a high end dealer contact me about putting my car on consignment with them yesterday. I may go that direction, but I'm not there quite yet... I am pretty certain they'll be asking more than $109k though.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:58 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

I did have a high end dealer contact me about putting my car on consignment with them yesterday. I may go that direction, but I'm not there quite yet... I am pretty certain they'll be asking more than $109k though.
Might be worth considering... they've got the resources to get it sold at a higher price, and they'll likely take most of the pain out of the process for you. I know that if I'm considering shelling out over a hundred grand for a car I'd feel more comfortable dealing with a corporate entity than an individual. Plus many folks may not extend their searches beyond dealer inventories.

I've never sold anything on consignment but it may be a good compromise in your case. Hopefully someone with direct experience can chime in.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:31 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 322 Posts

I just like cars, and as near-perfect as the 911 is, I'm probably always going to be considering its replacement!
Isn't that the truth! I absolutely love my car and will probably keep it for at least a decade if not longer but there is still part of me that continually looks around at what might be next LOL...I guess that is why I still play with the configurator every time there is another PCA raffle hahaha!

For the OP, like others have said, I would have said way overpriced a year or two ago. But today, the market seems to be rather nutty. I hope you get what you are asking for, though - GLWS! It looks like a great car.
SConn (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 01:37 PM
SConn
Drifting

Might be worth considering... they've got the resources to get it sold at a higher price, and they'll likely take most of the pain out of the process for you. I know that if I'm considering shelling out over a hundred grand for a car I'd feel more comfortable dealing with a corporate entity than an individual. Plus many folks may not extend their searches beyond dealer inventories.

I've never sold anything on consignment but it may be a good compromise in your case. Hopefully someone with direct experience can chime in.
I totally hear you and am considering it. I think I'm just still unsure I'm ready to let it go for fear of regret that I'm just making sure I think everything through. I'm so OCD about this car, it gives me anxiety thinking about it sitting at a dealership, even if they do have cars three times the price of mine.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:01 PM
dd356
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

Auctions are the easiest way to find out your car's worth. You have to put up with questions for a week, but if you know your bottom line for selling just put the reserve there and see what happens.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:56 PM
TXGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 90 Posts

My best advice I will offer is the same as I offered my son when he was considering selling his "baby", his prized M3. I asked him to think about the moment the M3 would be leaving his house to go with its new owner, would he have that sinking feeling of "what did I just do?" If that's how you believe you would feel, then the answer is most definitely to hold on to it. If not, then move it on to its next caretaker.

Dennis
Old 07-21-2021, 03:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Agree 100%. And there's a lot of pumping going on by other people selling cars or simply wanting to believe their car is worth more than what they paid for it. I love whenever someone posts an ad in the marketplace with a crackhead price and then people chime in with 'Great spec! This should sell fast!' And then the car sits...
Old 07-21-2021, 03:57 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by TXGerman
My best advice I will offer is the same as I offered my son when he was considering selling his "baby", his prized M3. I asked him to think about the moment the M3 would be leaving his house to go with its new owner, would he have that sinking feeling of "what did I just do?" If that's how you believe you would feel, then the answer is most definitely to hold on to it. If not, then move it on to its next caretaker.

Dennis
Good advice... I'm just not sure how I'd feel, to be honest.

What it came down to for me is this: If I wait another year and the market tanks and I get $20-25k less for my car, will I regret that? There's a lot I can do with that. So my head and my heart battle. Sometimes even harder when you're female 😉
I have a bottom line and if I don't get it, so be it. I'm OK either way. Love the car!!
desmotesta (07-22-2021)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on pricing?