Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base 991.2 goes .7s & 9mph faster from tune and exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 12:06 PM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Talking Base 991.2 goes .7s & 9mph faster from tune and exhaust!

Hey gang,

I just wanted to post our long-awaited results with our shop car.

It's a base 991.2 2017 Carrera with a 7MT. No Sport Chrono.

Power modifications include: Our SpeedCircuit Cobb Accessport tune, SOUL Performance Sport Cats, and SOUL Performance Exhaust (with Anti-Drone Tubes).

Fuel is 93 Octane.

We did our initial three passes last September. The car wasn't launched hard, but we ran consistent ~12.9s passes with trap speeds of 109, 110, and 111. This was definitely slower than we expected of the car, but the data was consistent.

Last Friday, we finally got a chance to do another three passes. The car was launched the same way (although slightly slower in the 60' times), but ran consistent 12.2s ETs. Better still, the trap speeds were 119 and 120mph!

We are happy with the results and are confident the car would run 11s with a good launch. A 9mph gain and a ~.7 second faster E.T. is a great gain for an exhaust and a tune. Stay tuned for a video and more mods in the future.

The parts in question can be purchased from our website:

https://www.speedcircuit.net/collect...11-991-exhaust

https://www.speedcircuit.net/collect...-carrera-s-gts
Old 06-30-2021, 12:34 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 299 Posts

That's a good result for sure!
What mods to you have in store next?

Did you dyno the car before and after the mods?
Old 06-30-2021, 01:47 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Nice. Did you get much wheel slip off the line? Traction control on/off? A base manual car essentially has an open diff so that could lead to trouble.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:12 PM
Vrrooom
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

It’s great to see the gains in the 1/4. I did something similar with my dragy but could only do 1/8. The results mirror yours.

Stock- 8.5@87
APR Tune- 8.0@93

I did one where I launched more aggressively and was able to go 7.8@93. So I definitely believe you can get into the 11s!

My car is a 2019 Carrera T 7MT

Last edited by Vrrooom; 06-30-2021 at 08:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (08-24-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 08:18 PM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rugu6869
That's a good result for sure!

Did you dyno the car before and after the mods?
We used a software dyno, but yes. Blue is stock and red is tuned.

The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (08-24-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 08:21 PM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well, we have had a set of headers from SOUL on our shelf waiting to go onto the car for months now, but we've been so backed up we haven't had the chance.

That being said, I'm tempted to get a larger set of turbos for it since we'd already be halfway there installing the headers.

We also plan on doing these Alpha intercoolers as well.

Trying to figure out the best order to do these in is tricky, though. I'd like to do the upgrade path the customers are most likely to follow themselves.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:23 PM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Nice. Did you get much wheel slip off the line? Traction control on/off? A base manual car essentially has an open diff so that could lead to trouble.
Traction control was off. I couldn't go too hard off the line or I would get a ton of wheel hop. Stiffer engine mounts may help that, but ultimately adding Sport Chrono to the car will likely allow the car to be launched from a higher RPM which will result in wheel spin rather than hop.

That will be a test for another day, though. I didn't want to add Sport Chrono now and skew the post-tune results in our favor.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:27 PM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vrrooom
It’s great to see the gains in the 1/4. I did something similar with my dragy but could only do 1/8. The results mirror yours.

Stock- 8.5@87
APR Tune- 8.0@93

I did one where I launched more aggressively and was able to go 7.8@93. So I definitely believe you can get into the 11s!

Looks like this shows that the Cobb based tunes and the APR based tunes will provide similar results. Luckily we offer both!

Do you know the weight on your Carrera T? Our car is 3217 lbs if memory serves me correctly.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:49 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedCircuit
Well, we have had a set of headers from SOUL on our shelf waiting to go onto the car for months now, but we've been so backed up we haven't had the chance.

That being said, I'm tempted to get a larger set of turbos for it since we'd already be halfway there installing the headers.

We also plan on doing these Alpha intercoolers as well.

Trying to figure out the best order to do these in is tricky, though. I'd like to do the upgrade path the customers are most likely to follow themselves.
I'd say most customers would do exhaust first (either sport cats or headers or both). I did both right away from Soul.
Intercoolers look to be worth about 20hp, plus the car will run cooler if you plan on doing road courses as well. RRRacing is coming out with a deep pan for our cars that will hold more oil and help to keep temps down as well.
Lastly, I'd say turbos. The biggest gains would be on race fuel of course.

GL! Look forward to the next steps. I was looking at a Miami Blue car myself prior to getting my Agate Grey.

So far I have AP BBK, Soul headers/sport cats, Custom Litespeed Racing Forged Magnesium wheels, Numeric shifter/cables - YOU HAVE GOT TO GET THIS FOR YOUR CAR!!! Bilstein B16 coil-overs and a few cosmetics.
Old 07-01-2021, 01:13 AM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'd say most customers would do exhaust first (either sport cats or headers or both). I did both right away from Soul.
Intercoolers look to be worth about 20hp, plus the car will run cooler if you plan on doing road courses as well. RRRacing is coming out with a deep pan for our cars that will hold more oil and help to keep temps down as well.
Lastly, I'd say turbos. The biggest gains would be on race fuel of course.

GL! Look forward to the next steps. I was looking at a Miami Blue car myself prior to getting my Agate Grey.
People often assume the car is Miami Blue, but it's actually wrapped "Turquoise Dream". If you see it next to a Miami Blue car in person there's no confusing them, the wrap is far more vivid.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:10 PM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vrrooom
I just came across this post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1183...l#post17542583

Apparently the Carrera T has effectively shorter gearing than a base Carrera.

Do you happen to know your top speed in say 2nd or 3rd gear, for example?
Old 07-15-2021, 12:55 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Hey gang,

I just wanted to post our long-awaited results with our shop car.

It's a base 991.2 2017 Carrera with a 7MT. No Sport Chrono.

Power modifications include: Our SpeedCircuit Cobb Accessport tune, SOUL Performance Sport Cats, and SOUL Performance Exhaust (with Anti-Drone Tubes).

Fuel is 93 Octane.

We did our initial three passes last September. The car wasn't launched hard, but we ran consistent ~12.9s passes with trap speeds of 109, 110, and 111. This was definitely slower than we expected of the car, but the data was consistent.

Last Friday, we finally got a chance to do another three passes. The car was launched the same way (although slightly slower in the 60' times), but ran consistent 12.2s ETs. Better still, the trap speeds were 119 and 120mph!

We are happy with the results and are confident the car would run 11s with a good launch. A 9mph gain and a ~.7 second faster E.T. is a great gain for an exhaust and a tune. Stay tuned for a video and more mods in the future.

The parts in question can be purchased from our website:

https://www.speedcircuit.net/collect...11-991-exhaust

https://www.speedcircuit.net/collect...-carrera-s-gts
Where is your dragstrip located and what were the weather conditions for the runs? Car and Driver got 12.4 seconds at 117 mph for that car, corrected to standard conditions.

Also, the car's engine management software limits the clutch drop rpm to about 4300, which is less than optimal for the ideal launch. A higher-rpm clutch drop would probably be worth another tenth or two in ET at the risk of the driveline.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:23 AM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Where is your dragstrip located and what were the weather conditions for the runs? Car and Driver got 12.4 seconds at 117 mph for that car, corrected to standard conditions.
This was at Atco Raceway in New Jersey. The DA on the day of our post-tune test was around 1700, IIRC. I don't know what the DA was on the stock runs, but I do recall it being cooler and less humid, FWIW, which would have helped the baseline runs look good.

In a nutshell, the conditions were better on my baseline, and my launch was actually slightly better as well. Realistically, the delta is probably slightly better than what the thread title claims.

There was another thread where people were discussing their before and after tuning results, and their cars were also much slower than what C&D reported.

I do know examples in the past where press cars were tuned in order to give better test results and help sell cars. I'm not saying that's the case here, but I'm not the only one with disappointing baseline data. Maybe the press cars had sport chrono?

Also, the car's engine management software limits the clutch drop rpm to about 4300, which is less than optimal for the ideal launch. A higher-rpm clutch drop would probably be worth another tenth or two in ET at the risk of the driveline.
Agreed, although I think it would be safer for the driveline. Launching the car at 4300rpm results in wheel hop. Launching from something like 5500rpm may result in a smoother launch and less banging around on the drivetrain. But yes, it would absolutely be quicker.

Old 07-15-2021, 06:33 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

This was at Atco Raceway in New Jersey. The DA on the day of our post-tune test was around 1700, IIRC. I don't know what the DA was on the stock runs, but I do recall it being cooler and less humid, FWIW, which would have helped the baseline runs look good.

In a nutshell, the conditions were better on my baseline, and my launch was actually slightly better as well. Realistically, the delta is probably slightly better than what the thread title claims.

There was another thread where people were discussing their before and after tuning results, and their cars were also much slower than what C&D reported.

I do know examples in the past where press cars were tuned in order to give better test results and help sell cars. I'm not saying that's the case here, but I'm not the only one with disappointing baseline data. Maybe the press cars had sport chrono?

Agreed, although I think it would be safer for the driveline. Launching the car at 4300rpm results in wheel hop. Launching from something like 5500rpm may result in a smoother launch and less banging around on the drivetrain. But yes, it would absolutely be quicker.
Thanks for the info. That's a very nice improvement form the tune.

By the way, I'm not sure how much Sport Chrono helps with a manual transmission, since it doesn't have launch control. But perhaps the stiffer engine mounts help control the wheel hop.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:17 PM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

For those considering a Cobb AP, here's an installation video:

Quick Reply: Base 991.2 goes .7s & 9mph faster from tune and exhaust!