Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another plug for the DSC Sport v3 controller

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 04:39 PM
gskv
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

did you find that the DSC improved on brake diving?

i feel that my carrera T with PCCB has nearly no brake dive compared to my GTS with irons. not sure if it's a placebo with the brakes...sound wild.

i just love the pccbs and seriously contemplating pccb vs. essex. not meant to hijack--please let me know about dsc and brake dive!!
Old 06-14-2021, 01:14 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by gskv
did you find that the DSC improved on brake diving?

i feel that my carrera T with PCCB has nearly no brake dive compared to my GTS with irons. not sure if it's a placebo with the brakes...sound wild.

i just love the pccbs and seriously contemplating pccb vs. essex. not meant to hijack--please let me know about dsc and brake dive!!
Interesting comment on brake dive between the 2 cars. I would suspect that it has nothing to do with the brakes themselves but the software programing differences between the 2 vehicles. I suspect the DSC would address your issue but as I stated in my post I strongly suggest the following:

To really understand what the DSC is doing and how it's doing it I strongly suggest viewing the main Technical setup video that is on the DCS website and on YouTube. It's a tutorial on how to make adjustments to the DCS via the DCS tuning software but it also shows the concept and thought process behind why the DCS can do suspension setup better than the factory Porsche setup. This is not a criticism of Porsche, quite the contrary, after gaining a bit of knowledge on how to tune the Porsche suspension, I have a greater appreciation of the work Porsche engineers had to do to make a 911X feel like it should to the average Porsche buyer. The Porsche controller is doing the same functionality as the DSC controller just in a more static manner without the ability of the end user to make their own adjustments.

At the end of the day it's your call it's your call but the DSC is a much less expensive possibility to resolve your issue and it's literally plug and play with no downside.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:28 PM
acwild70
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Forgive me if this has been covered but I didn’t see it anywhere—

I have a C2S MT. Sport Chrono w Sport Plus. I’ve seen both Normal and Sport mode discussed but haven’t seen any mention of Sport Plus. Anyone have any insight into how it works in this mode?

thanks
Old 06-19-2021, 09:27 AM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by acwild70
Forgive me if this has been covered but I didn’t see it anywhere—

I have a C2S MT. Sport Chrono w Sport Plus. I’ve seen both Normal and Sport mode discussed but haven’t seen any mention of Sport Plus. Anyone have any insight into how it works in this mode?

thanks
Normal/Sport/Sport+ are engine/transmission shift point/throttle sensitivity/dynamic engine mount controls. PDCC is only really "chassis normal" and "chassis sport", but if you have the sport+ mode setting available and use it, then dynamic engine mounts are engaged. The DSC controller software on the PC does have settings for dynamic engine mounts that you can play with - I haven't tried playing with it, though. I've really only ever run sport+ on the track (C2S MT, SPASM, Sport Chrono, GTS turbos, APR stage 3 tune, DSC controller with custom map) - never just sport - so can't really speak to the difference between the two with the DSC, but wanted to note that you can change those settings.

I will say that for me, at least, on the street I do not see any difference between sport and sport+ with either the SPASM controller or the DSC sport controller, which isn't surprising given that this (sport+, dynamic engine mounts) really is focused on performance closer to the limit of the chassis and car as a whole. On track, I have noticed a reduction in brake dive under hard braking, and weight transfer seems to be smoother in general in left-right/right-left transitions since I put a modified map into the DSC controller. Overall the car seems very confidence-inspiring. Between the turbo upgrade and tune and the DSC sport controller upgrade, I just took 7-8 seconds/lap off my time at a given track (1:55 down to 1:47). How much of that is down to driver education, tune or suspension controller is completely unknown to me.

Frankly, on the street it's hard for me to tell much of a difference between normal and sport/sport+ mode with the dynamic engine mounts engaged. There always was a little more muted a response from the suspension when in normal mode, and the car felt a little more floaty than when in sport/sport+ mode. To say that the difference between normal mode with the SPASM controller and the DSC sport controller is revolutionary, though, to me at least is overstating the case. I *think* it's smoother than it was before, but without a direct back-to-back comparison minutes apart - which I have not done - it's not a blow-your-socks-away kind of change, at least to my probably very insensitive buttometer. I got it largely because I wanted to see improvements on the track - not because I wanted a softer normal mode - and I believe it definitely confers an advantage there.

The following users liked this post:
asellus (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 03:37 PM
maj75
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Ordered from Soul for my 991.1 C2S only to learn they are on backorder. Now I have to wait until August.
Old 06-20-2021, 03:12 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by enzotcat

Frankly, on the street it's hard for me to tell much of a difference between normal and sport/sport+ mode with the dynamic engine mounts engaged. There always was a little more muted a response from the suspension when in normal mode, and the car felt a little more floaty than when in sport/sport+ mode. To say that the difference between normal mode with the SPASM controller and the DSC sport controller is revolutionary, though, to me at least is overstating the case. I *think* it's smoother than it was before, but without a direct back-to-back comparison minutes apart - which I have not done - it's not a blow-your-socks-away kind of change, at least to my probably very insensitive buttometer. I got it largely because I wanted to see improvements on the track - not because I wanted a softer normal mode - and I believe it definitely confers an advantage there.
After playing with the tuning software, I believe that the lack of difference between Normal & Sport on the street is more of a function of the road conditions in your area. If your roads are relatively smooth where you street drive then you are correct the perceived difference would be relatively small. For me in Norther Cal. many secondary & freeways have a lot of ripples & just crappy pavement that are just annoying in that 20-60 MPH range where you are just stuck in traffic or just simple cruising. For me I've spent time experimenting with normal mode to really soften the suspension without being overly floaty. I have it where the TTS actually rides smoother than my Audi sedan. That said, I'm working on pushing sport mode out the other direction for serious canyon carving, without making things too non-compliant where the car is skipping over bumps and losing grip.

The very slick thing about the DSC controller is the ability to set parameters that make the car feel right for you as an individual. If you are confident in how the car feels and reacts at a chosen speed, then you will be faster. From what you described, this is exactly what you did in creating a track setup.
The following users liked this post:
acwild70 (06-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Another plug for the DSC Sport v3 controller