Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

People that don’t know what they are doing shouldn’t touch tools,
Old 04-30-2021, 07:52 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Already posted this in the Wheel & Tire forum, but no takers.

What are the unintended consequences of wheels that have been over-torqued? By a lot. Say 250fp instead of 118fp?

(and yes, it was the Porsche dealer).

DaveGee
Sorry to hear that, but this past year, I've noticed that the usual attention to detail at my usually attentive local dealership has disappeared. I've been acquiring all the tools to do all the work I can on my own car, which means I should be able to do everything but an engine/reprogramming problem. I will not be taking any of my cars to the dealership for any work, unless it's absolutely necessary.
The following users liked this post:
fnckr (05-06-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 08:36 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by 911.
How would the wheel be damaged? I guess anything possible but I dont see the wheels being deformed in anyway from 250ft/lbs.
Ehhh, there I go parroting crap I've heard all my life without actually thinking too hard about it. Static deformation is unlikely to actually be a problem on the wheel. I've never witnessed it, at least.

Assuming no torque wrench was used, unequal torque across the lug bolts was probably applied. Unequal torque on the wheel that is subsequently driven on poses some supposed risk, creating unequal stress in the metals that could then cause fractures when shocked by a pot hole or some such. You also have the heating/cooling cycles of just every day driving playing into it as well. I'm not any kind of metallurgy expert, but that screams bad juju to me with what little I know!

My primary concern would be cracking or crushing the mounting surface(s). When building an engine, the head bolts, if overtorqued, can crush the boss they clamp against. Now, wheels are considerably tougher as they aren't made out of some kind of aluminum-butter alloy like a Miata head, but the risk certainly is still there.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:09 PM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

You ruin the threads. I ruined the threads on a lock bolt and I used less than 100ft/lbs.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:56 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

Heading to the dealer in the morning for an “inspection”. They’ve asked me to bring the tools with me that I used to remove the wheels. It’s a socket and a breaker bar. Sounds like they’re already looking for a way to say that the lug nuts weren’t over-torqued and that my tools are to blame. Should be fun…

DaveGee
Old 05-05-2021, 09:56 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Heading to the dealer in the morning for an “inspection”. They’ve asked me to bring the tools with me that I used to remove the wheels. It’s a socket and a breaker bar. Sounds like they’re already looking for a way to say that the lug nuts weren’t over-torqued and that my tools are to blame. Should be fun…

DaveGee
It sounds like your dealer takes complaints seriously; I think that's a good sign. Anytime I complain about something, it's *crickets*
Old 05-06-2021, 03:52 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
Ehhh, there I go parroting crap I've heard all my life without actually thinking too hard about it. Static deformation is unlikely to actually be a problem on the wheel. I've never witnessed it, at least.

Assuming no torque wrench was used, unequal torque across the lug bolts was probably applied. Unequal torque on the wheel that is subsequently driven on poses some supposed risk, creating unequal stress in the metals that could then cause fractures when shocked by a pot hole or some such. You also have the heating/cooling cycles of just every day driving playing into it as well. I'm not any kind of metallurgy expert, but that screams bad juju to me with what little I know!

My primary concern would be cracking or crushing the mounting surface(s). When building an engine, the head bolts, if overtorqued, can crush the boss they clamp against. Now, wheels are considerably tougher as they aren't made out of some kind of aluminum-butter alloy like a Miata head, but the risk certainly is still there.
Yeah I see what you mean. I think for this to happen, or enough to where the wheel needed replacing you would certainly know the wheel is mounted incorrectly and giving you some feedback while youre driving. Aka pulling or crazy wobbling of the steering wheel. Or worst case wheel passing you by on the road. Lol.

I'm not an expert but the chances of that happening are slim and I would think the incorrect tq on each stud being applied unevenly would result to potential bearing damage/wear faster first. And even then I dont think the OP wouldn't notice it right away, it would still take thousands if not tens of thousands of miles before the wheel bearing went bad prematurely.

Curious to see what the dealer tried to sell the OP after he takes in his car and tools used.

Last edited by 911.; 05-06-2021 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:25 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

So, went to the dealer today along with the breaker bar and socket that I used only to be told that the reason the fronts were so difficult to break free was that my breaker bar isn't long enough. Right. Never mind that the same breaker bar had no problem on the rears, or that I've been using the exact same breaker bar for 20+ years. This ain't my first rodeo.

Anyway, the shop foreman says he inspected hubs, wheels and lug bolts and that everything is fine. That will have to be good enough for now and at least things are documented so if I lose a wheel or there are future related issues, I have a paper trail.

And no, I don't plan on buying a longer breaker bar.

DaveGee

Quick Reply: Over-torque consequences