First Porsche, 991.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 10:57 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by nevennett
Hi

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've found this a hugely valuable resource. I've recently purchased a 991.2 GTS, but still waiting for a few things before I pick it up.

As agreed with my wife, I sold my Gen II R8 V10+ when she got pregnant, a little under 2 years ago. I traded it for a then brand new RS4, which while practical, never exactly set my soul on fire. I 'needed' another car. I could no longer justify a 2 seater, and before long I knew a 911 was in my future.

I developed a good relationship with preferred local dealer. I test drove a gorgeous Gentian Blue 992 C2S, but it was while hugely competent, it didn't quite feel special enough for the price. We seem to get particularly bad pricing for P cars in NZ.

I kept my eyes on the classified, when a 2018 Sapphire Blue GTS came up. In addition to the usual GTS package, it had front axle lift and rear axle steer, which ticked a lot of boxes. PDK, which while I am romantic and love a manual, is better suited for the daily urban drive that it will do most of the time. While I was unconvinced with the colour in the photos, in person it was stunning, not to mention unique. When I test drove it, it felt so... uncaged. I think the P-Zeros were old (and certainly cold), but the rear was so playful. It was everything that an Audi (including even the mighty R8), is not.

Before I even picked up, the dreaded 991.2 coolant leak was identified. I learn A LOT about that issue right here. Given I live in a remote corner of the world, its a few weeks before the full fix (hopefully a 'd', or perhaps 'c' pump, with valve heads replaced) is done.

Anyways, before I pick it up, still bouncing around in my mind are topics well covered here:'

1. 991.2 v 992
2. RWD vs AWD
3. Bi-xenon lights vs LED (especially the smoked appearance on the PDSL+)

to name but a few. it seems this is relentless and endless rabbit hole that I've only just entered...

Comments on any of the above very warmly received.

Cheers

N

PS the RS4 is now the wife's car/family vacation wagon
Beautiful car!

I had a Basalt Black 991.1S and a Black 991.1S (w/powerkit) previously, both of which I bought used. I saw a Sapphire Blue 991 in my neighborhood one day and fell in love with the color. It was very hard to find one used with the options that I wanted so I finally bit the bullet and just ordered one new. I'll have this car for at least a decade - I love it! Anyways, Sapphire Blue is such a great color. Congrats!
Old 05-13-2021, 11:05 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

What a great post NCheok.

So now that I own the car, my thoughts are:

Front Axle Lift - probably a must have on my driveway! I'm actually considering putting the Porsche on the difficult side of the garage, because currently the RS4 bottoms out every time I move it...

Bi Xenon Lights - they are fine, certainly have the edge aesthetically when off, but the running lights aren't as cool as the PDSL+ options. I don't have the appetite to change these (although I've read through the frankly staggering posts of people who have actually changed them!).

Rear Axle Steer - The car was advertised with it, so I assume it has it. Weirdly the manager of the McLaren dealership - where I actually bought the car from, although they are part of a larger dealership that includes Porsche - said he didn't realise the car had rear axle steer. People say the car "clunks" less on hard cornering while manoeuvring with RAS, and my car certainly clunks, which has now made me wonder if my car actually has RAS! I've got no way of confirming it, without putting the car on a lift and directly inspecting it! Any suggestions here?

RR - I "knew" that I had to get my 911 in this configuration. AWD feels like I would be cheating, given the whole point of buying a 911 is to have that real driver involvement. However, I'm pretty sure the OEM P Zeros on the car are ruining it for me, and I need to get some Michelin PS4S's on. The P zeros have too much tread on them at present for me to want to throw them away, so I need to take the car to the track and do my best to ruin them! I have a suspicion my love affair for my 991.2 GTS will really begin when I have the right rubber on the car to enjoy it.

The thing that I was not expecting was just how gorgeous the Sapphire Blue looks. It blows my mind every time I walk into my garage!
Yeah, Sapphire Blue is one gorgeous color!!! I had full PPF put on mine so I could protect that beautiful paint. Love it!

I didn't order front axle lift. The only place I scrape is my own driveway and I just approach it at a 45 degree angle to mitigate it. Nice option, though, and I am sure I would have used it on occasion.

For RAS, which I do have, you can turn the wheel while you are sitting still and see the rear wheels move opposite, very subtle. You can take a before and after photo of your rear wheels, turning the wheel, and probably tell if you have RAS. It's a great option and really changes the turning radius at low speeds. Of course, and you probably already know this, at highway speeds the rear axle turns the wheels in the same direction (very slightly) as the front (opposite of what they do at low speeds).

I didn't get the LEDs. The bi-xenons were fine for me and I like the DRL (the quad lights in each headlight). I loaded up with quite a few options (burmester, PCCBs, PDCC/RAS, etc) and skipped the FAL and the LEDs.

I have the same thoughts about RWD. I had considered AWD but my last two 991s were RWD and I liked that configuration a lot. I don't think the Pirelli's are all that bad but the Michelins definitely feel like an improvement.

Last edited by Hurricane; 05-13-2021 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:07 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

Unfortunately that doesn't work for non-US cars
Well ****.

At least you have access to that gorgeous RS4...
Old 05-14-2021, 12:18 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Rear axle steering on my 911 notice the rear wheels are turned in
take a picture as someone mentioned
The following users liked this post:
nevennett (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 04:48 AM
jchasty
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 57 Posts

Wow, that's very fortunate. And the R8 is a RWS... is it hard to get the power down?

I find it hard to give anything more than about half throttle inn first or second in the GTS even in the dry, or I lose traction. It's got P zeros on and I'm not loving them. The R8 with AWD had almost limitless traction, especially with new PS4S's on.

Nick
Yes, it's terrifying unless bone dry conditions.....

I put PS4S's on the rear only, which helped a bit.

I also put them on all four wheels of the RS4 and it transformed the ride, noise and grip - they're a great tyre!

Last edited by jchasty; 05-14-2021 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:54 AM
jchasty
Rennlist Member

As requested :

Nardo Grey RS4 in Auckland with Rangitoto Island in the background
Corrrrrr.....beautiful!
The following users liked this post:
nevennett (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 05:46 AM
nevennett
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jchasty
Yes, it's terrifying unless bone dry conditions.....

I put PS4S's on the rear only, which helped a bit.

I also put them on all four wheels of the RS4 and it transformed the ride, noise and grip - they're a great tyre!
Yes terrifying... I guess that's the 'driver involvement' we all seek!

I never thought about traction with the AWD version of the R8. Once it lost traction in the wet in the middle of winter. I figured my tyres were wrecked, and sure enough when I went to the tyre shop, my rears were in shocking condition.

Once the Michelins were on, it was almost impossible to get wheel spin even in the cold. Road noise was better, and the ride was even sweeter. I still contend that the R8 - a very early Gen II model with terrible dampening (read Ollie Marriage's review of the car in 2015 - mine was like that) - was one of the best riding cars ever. Unless you went over a speed bump, in which case it was like a trampoline!

Old Conti Sport Contact 6's

New Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S's
Old 05-14-2021, 05:47 AM
nevennett
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes

Rear axle steering on my 911 notice the rear wheels are turned in
take a picture as someone mentioned
Great shot!
Old 05-14-2021, 08:04 AM
jchasty
Rennlist Member

Yes terrifying... I guess that's the 'driver involvement' we all seek!

I never thought about traction with the AWD version of the R8. Once it lost traction in the wet in the middle of winter. I figured my tyres were wrecked, and sure enough when I went to the tyre shop, my rears were in shocking condition.

Once the Michelins were on, it was almost impossible to get wheel spin even in the cold. Road noise was better, and the ride was even sweeter. I still contend that the R8 - a very early Gen II model with terrible dampening (read Ollie Marriage's review of the car in 2015 - mine was like that) - was one of the best riding cars ever. Unless you went over a speed bump, in which case it was like a trampoline!
The RWS has the non-active dampers; I tried the Plus with the active ride and it was just weird! (apologies if I have my terminology incorrect)

Quick Reply: First Porsche, 991.2 GTS