First Porsche, 991.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 05:01 AM
nevennett
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
Default First Porsche, 991.2 GTS

Hi

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've found this a hugely valuable resource. I've recently purchased a 991.2 GTS, but still waiting for a few things before I pick it up.

As agreed with my wife, I sold my Gen II R8 V10+ when she got pregnant, a little under 2 years ago. I traded it for a then brand new RS4, which while practical, never exactly set my soul on fire. I 'needed' another car. I could no longer justify a 2 seater, and before long I knew a 911 was in my future.

I developed a good relationship with preferred local dealer. I test drove a gorgeous Gentian Blue 992 C2S, but it was while hugely competent, it didn't quite feel special enough for the price. We seem to get particularly bad pricing for P cars in NZ.

I kept my eyes on the classified, when a 2018 Sapphire Blue GTS came up. In addition to the usual GTS package, it had front axle lift and rear axle steer, which ticked a lot of boxes. PDK, which while I am romantic and love a manual, is better suited for the daily urban drive that it will do most of the time. While I was unconvinced with the colour in the photos, in person it was stunning, not to mention unique. When I test drove it, it felt so... uncaged. I think the P-Zeros were old (and certainly cold), but the rear was so playful. It was everything that an Audi (including even the mighty R8), is not.

Before I even picked up, the dreaded 991.2 coolant leak was identified. I learn A LOT about that issue right here. Given I live in a remote corner of the world, its a few weeks before the full fix (hopefully a 'd', or perhaps 'c' pump, with valve heads replaced) is done.

Anyways, before I pick it up, still bouncing around in my mind are topics well covered here:'

1. 991.2 v 992
2. RWD vs AWD
3. Bi-xenon lights vs LED (especially the smoked appearance on the PDSL+)

to name but a few. it seems this is relentless and endless rabbit hole that I've only just entered...

Comments on any of the above very warmly received.

Cheers

N

PS the RS4 is now the wife's car/family vacation wagon
The following 6 users liked this post by nevennett:
Freddie Two Bs (04-25-2021), marcnyc (05-11-2021), NJ991 (04-25-2021), PAPorscheGuy (04-25-2021), SConn (05-11-2021), T3X4S (04-24-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-24-2021, 05:37 AM
Mop
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nevennett
Hi

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've found this a hugely valuable resource. I've recently purchased a 991.2 GTS, but still waiting for a few things before I pick it up.

As agreed with my wife, I sold my Gen II R8 V10+ when she got pregnant, a little under 2 years ago. I traded it for a then brand new RS4, which while practical, never exactly set my soul on fire. I 'needed' another car. I could no longer justify a 2 seater, and before long I knew a 911 was in my future.

I developed a good relationship with preferred local dealer. I test drove a gorgeous Gentian Blue 992 C2S, but it was while hugely competent, it didn't quite feel special enough for the price. We seem to get particularly bad pricing for P cars in NZ.

I kept my eyes on the classified, when a 2018 Sapphire Blue GTS came up. In addition to the usual GTS package, it had front axle lift and rear axle steer, which ticked a lot of boxes. PDK, which while I am romantic and love a manual, is better suited for the daily urban drive that it will do most of the time. While I was unconvinced with the colour in the photos, in person it was stunning, not to mention unique. When I test drove it, it felt so... uncaged. I think the P-Zeros were old (and certainly cold), but the rear was so playful. It was everything that an Audi (including even the mighty R8), is not.

Before I even picked up, the dreaded 991.2 coolant leak was identified. I learn A LOT about that issue right here. Given I live in a remote corner of the world, its a few weeks before the full fix (hopefully a 'd', or perhaps 'c' pump, with valve heads replaced) is done.

Anyways, before I pick it up, still bouncing around in my mind are topics well covered here:'

1. 991.2 v 992
2. RWD vs AWD

to name but a few. it seems this is relentless and endless rabbit hole that I've only just entered...

Comments on any of the above very warmly received.

Cheers

N

PS the RS4 is now the wife's car/family vacation wagon
Congrats! Awesome car, I think you'll love it regardless-- One of the folks here told me, at the end of the day, a lot of those "nice to have" options don't really take away from the car ownership experience. 98% the way there to tradeoff for experiencing it sooner. I thought I needed sport chrono back when I was looking at 991.1 Carreras, found a good deal on one without and didn't regret it.

- Did you feel like there were reasons the 991.2 felt more uncaged than the 992? Other than the 992 exhaust being hampered by regulation, seems it's quite a good drivers car. Some of the aftermarket exhaust youtube videos on 992s sounded halfway decent.
- Don't have much perspective on AWD 911, but I don't think either is regarded as significantly better than the other- just down to taste
- For 3. I believe on the 991 generation, if you prefer the look darker/smoked looking headlights, it's possible to order the headlight assembly but with black enclosure bits instead of chrome. I believe you can get a black for the non LEDs + PDLS. Also for the LEDS + PDLS. I will also say that if you tend to drive at night in canyon/mountain roads, having PDLS is very useful. But i think a lot of folks here also don't care for that stuff.

Hope the pickup goes well!
The following users liked this post:
nevennett (04-24-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 06:59 AM
nevennett
Intermediate

It's almost like the 992 was too good, or at least too refined. Objectively the 991.2 GTS is not appreciably quicker (if at all), but it felt it. To me it felt alive, in a way the 992 could not. That, and there was a NZ$100k difference. Gorgeous car the 992, looked great on my driveway (the pic almost hurts)! I can see it in my future....

992 on my steep driveway, FAL a must to get into the garage
jimjoe997 (05-13-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 03:17 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Congrats!!! The 991.2 GTS is such a great car and you picked a fantastic color. I may be a bit biased, though...
Old 04-24-2021, 06:28 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 537 Posts

Great choice with the GTS. You will enjoy if you can stretch it’s legs every now and then.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:24 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Very nice choice of trim and color. Every time we have one on the dyno, they make really good power. Tuned with some mods, Turbo S territory!
Old 04-25-2021, 06:52 AM
PAPorscheGuy
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome and enjoy! I have owned several Audis (A4, TT, Q7, and All Road, not R8): They did not have the personality or feel of the 911 - nothing else does. Would recommend replacing the old Pirellis with new Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss (PS4S). I’m sure many Rennlisters would agree.
Pb Pedis (05-14-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 02:30 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Can you post a pic of your RS4 wagon. For me, this is the ultimate daily driver and we never get the good cars. Although the RS6 is just bad ***, but too much car for every day use, for me.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:41 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Congratulations on your GTS! Bias here too. I have an '18 C4 GTS, fully optioned with PDK in Sapphire Blue. A good friend has an '18 white C2 GTS, with manual and few options. We both love both cars. No issues with either car.

Color is subjective but according to Twitter and Car Buzz Magazine, Sapphire Blue is the "greatest Porsche color of all time." https://carbuzz.com/news/this-is-the...or-of-all-time

The following 2 users liked this post by 9ELOVIN:
jesm (04-26-2021), Pb Pedis (05-14-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 10:32 PM
nevennett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NJ991
Can you post a pic of your RS4 wagon. For me, this is the ultimate daily driver and we never get the good cars. Although the RS6 is just bad ***, but too much car for every day use, for me.
As requested :

Nardo Grey RS4 in Auckland with Rangitoto Island in the background

The following 6 users liked this post by nevennett:
Dre01SS (05-11-2021), marcnyc (05-11-2021), ngamountains (05-10-2021), NJ991 (05-11-2021), SConn (05-11-2021), westcoastj (05-12-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-11-2021, 12:38 AM
gskv
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

only option i wish i had on my gts are pccb
Old 05-11-2021, 12:56 AM
marcnyc
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats, great pick I think! And the RS4 as a second car looks pretty good :-)
Old 05-11-2021, 01:42 AM
nevennett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gskv
only option i wish i had on my gts are pccb
I somewhat agree. Had them on the R8 and the lack of brake dust was the best. They started squeaking all by the time post a track day, and eventually I replaced the pads at great expense...

I’m hoping the satin black wheels on the GTS help somewhat with brake dust.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:10 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

As requested :

Nardo Grey RS4 in Auckland with Rangitoto Island in the background
I want that forbidden fruit as well!
991.2 GTS is the sweet spot. Mine will be greatly missed when she finds a new home.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 05-11-2021 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:56 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Arrow

2. RWD vs AWD

I’m hoping the satin black wheels on the GTS help somewhat with brake dust.
Porsche options are insane, you can literally buy another car just from the options alone. Since GTS has alot of "good options as standard". Let's talk about some of the things you mentioned.

Front Lift | If you have this option, it is an absolute must.
PDLS+ | LED lights in black housing and fancy tech, makes the car look different and functionally useful.
Rear Axle Steer | Not a must, more of a nice to have. The GTS drives very well without this as-is.
991.2 | Unless you enjoy paying the premium for a 992 and wear the depreciation value, the 991.2 is the sweet spot.

PDK | Comparing all other dual clutch systems is just an insult to Porsche. We've passed the ability to shift faster than the computer and PDK is telepathic, it knows what you're going to do before you even do what you think you're going to do, it will hold the gear and allow you to upshift and downshift only when you want to do so.

I've driven MTs all my life and PDK is my first venture into dual clutch and losing the 3rd pedal. Sure, MT is definitely more engaging because well we're never driving at 100% on the road. But I also know, it's turtle slow compared to PDK, no matter how much I heel-toe, double clutch, I'm the limiting factor behind the wheel. For that, the PDK has won me over.

RR vs AWD | This is perhaps the most important aspect before you start diving into specific trim grades and options. If you don't need AWD because of snow, inclement weather then stay away from it.

A RR 911 is how it was designed from day 1 and has been continually refined generation after generation while a AWD 911 feels more stable, it also feels less responsive from steering response and turning input. My best comparison in the same weather, same condition, same road is a RR 911 is precise, highly responsive, while an AWD 911 is muted, slightly slower and actually understeers even.

I would never own an AWD 911 regardless of how much power it puts out. There is a reason why all GT models are RR only.

Last edited by NCheok; 05-11-2021 at 06:00 AM.
nevennett (05-11-2021)

Quick Reply: First Porsche, 991.2 GTS