First Porsche, 991.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 07:51 AM
jchasty
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 57 Posts

I love my Nogaro Blue RS4 B8

The following 2 users liked this post by jchasty:
nevennett (05-11-2021), thesaintusa (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 07:54 AM
jchasty
Rennlist Member

Oh and I love "Betty Blue" too....!

The following 2 users liked this post by jchasty:
nevennett (05-11-2021), Wrtflyr (05-13-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 06:54 PM
nevennett
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NCheok
Porsche options are insane, you can literally buy another car just from the options alone. Since GTS has alot of "good options as standard". Let's talk about some of the things you mentioned.

Front Lift | If you have this option, it is an absolute must.
PDLS+ | LED lights in black housing and fancy tech, makes the car look different and functionally useful.
Rear Axle Steer | Not a must, more of a nice to have. The GTS drives very well without this as-is.
991.2 | Unless you enjoy paying the premium for a 992 and wear the depreciation value, the 991.2 is the sweet spot.

PDK | Comparing all other dual clutch systems is just an insult to Porsche. We've passed the ability to shift faster than the computer and PDK is telepathic, it knows what you're going to do before you even do what you think you're going to do, it will hold the gear and allow you to upshift and downshift only when you want to do so.

I've driven MTs all my life and PDK is my first venture into dual clutch and losing the 3rd pedal. Sure, MT is definitely more engaging because well we're never driving at 100% on the road. But I also know, it's turtle slow compared to PDK, no matter how much I heel-toe, double clutch, I'm the limiting factor behind the wheel. For that, the PDK has won me over.

RR vs AWD | This is perhaps the most important aspect before you start diving into specific trim grades and options. If you don't need AWD because of snow, inclement weather then stay away from it.

A RR 911 is how it was designed from day 1 and has been continually refined generation after generation while a AWD 911 feels more stable, it also feels less responsive from steering response and turning input. My best comparison in the same weather, same condition, same road is a RR 911 is precise, highly responsive, while an AWD 911 is muted, slightly slower and actually understeers even.

I would never own an AWD 911 regardless of how much power it puts out. There is a reason why all GT models are RR only.
What a great post NCheok.

So now that I own the car, my thoughts are:

Front Axle Lift - probably a must have on my driveway! I'm actually considering putting the Porsche on the difficult side of the garage, because currently the RS4 bottoms out every time I move it...

Bi Xenon Lights - they are fine, certainly have the edge aesthetically when off, but the running lights aren't as cool as the PDSL+ options. I don't have the appetite to change these (although I've read through the frankly staggering posts of people who have actually changed them!).

Rear Axle Steer - The car was advertised with it, so I assume it has it. Weirdly the manager of the McLaren dealership - where I actually bought the car from, although they are part of a larger dealership that includes Porsche - said he didn't realise the car had rear axle steer. People say the car "clunks" less on hard cornering while manoeuvring with RAS, and my car certainly clunks, which has now made me wonder if my car actually has RAS! I've got no way of confirming it, without putting the car on a lift and directly inspecting it! Any suggestions here?

RR - I "knew" that I had to get my 911 in this configuration. AWD feels like I would be cheating, given the whole point of buying a 911 is to have that real driver involvement. However, I'm pretty sure the OEM P Zeros on the car are ruining it for me, and I need to get some Michelin PS4S's on. The P zeros have too much tread on them at present for me to want to throw them away, so I need to take the car to the track and do my best to ruin them! I have a suspicion my love affair for my 991.2 GTS will really begin when I have the right rubber on the car to enjoy it.

The thing that I was not expecting was just how gorgeous the Sapphire Blue looks. It blows my mind every time I walk into my garage!
Old 05-11-2021, 06:56 PM
nevennett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jchasty

Oh and I love "Betty Blue" too....!

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW! 😍😍😍😍😍
The following users liked this post:
jchasty (05-12-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 06:59 PM
nevennett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN
Congratulations on your GTS! Bias here too. I have an '18 C4 GTS, fully optioned with PDK in Sapphire Blue. A good friend has an '18 white C2 GTS, with manual and few options. We both love both cars. No issues with either car.

Color is subjective but according to Twitter and Car Buzz Magazine, Sapphire Blue is the "greatest Porsche color of all time." https://carbuzz.com/news/this-is-the...or-of-all-time

Yes I saw that article while researching Porsche colours. I'm in love with the colour now. Great to have the matching stripe on the wheels, I hadn't seen that prior to the press release 992 GT3s...
The following users liked this post:
jchasty (05-12-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 01:22 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by nevennett
Bi Xenon Lights - they are fine, certainly have the edge aesthetically when off, but the running lights aren't as cool as the PDSL+ options. I don't have the appetite to change these (although I've read through the frankly staggering posts of people who have actually changed them!).

Rear Axle Steer - The car was advertised with it, so I assume it has it. Weirdly the manager of the McLaren dealership - where I actually bought the car from, although they are part of a larger dealership that includes Porsche - said he didn't realise the car had rear axle steer. People say the car "clunks" less on hard cornering while manoeuvring with RAS, and my car certainly clunks, which has now made me wonder if my car actually has RAS! I've got no way of confirming it, without putting the car on a lift and directly inspecting it! Any suggestions here?
PDLS+ | It's too big of a job, and TBH if it didn't come from Zuffenhausen with it, I wouldn't bother.

RAS | It's actually visible, get someone to jump into the driver seat and make low speed, lock to lock parking maneuvers, the rear steering will move the wheels in the opposite direction. The factual way is to have your Porsche dealer decode your VIN, it will list all your factory options. There is no cheating this one.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:53 AM
gskv
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

i've got a 991.2 without RAS and the GTS has RAS.

the RAS isn't a must have, but once you have it...it does provide that confidence that you can sneak into certain turns. And in high speeds, the dartiness is fun.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:03 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,136 Likes on 641 Posts

For a much quicker and easier validation if you have rear axle steering, post your VIN here: https://vinanalytics.com/
Old 05-12-2021, 10:06 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN
Congratulations on your GTS! Bias here too. I have an '18 C4 GTS, fully optioned with PDK in Sapphire Blue. A good friend has an '18 white C2 GTS, with manual and few options. We both love both cars. No issues with either car.

Color is subjective but according to Twitter and Car Buzz Magazine, Sapphire Blue is the "greatest Porsche color of all time." https://carbuzz.com/news/this-is-the...or-of-all-time

No question, Sapphire Blue is a gorgeous color! (And discontinued on the 911 after 2018, except for possibly a future PTS.) My 2018 911 GTS:

The following 2 users liked this post by Hurricane:
jesm (05-13-2021), nevennett (05-13-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 10:15 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 791 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. I also owned an r8 (gen 1 and gen 2) and also a gts (991.1 and 991.2). The r8 is more of a "weekend" car but the 911 is more "precise" and a better daily/drivers car. Imho
Old 05-12-2021, 10:19 AM
jchasty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Congrats on your purchase. I also owned an r8 (gen 1 and gen 2) and also a gts (991.1 and 991.2). The r8 is more of a "weekend" car but the 911 is more "precise" and a better daily/drivers car. Imho

Being fortunate to own both at the same time - I agree....the R8 stays (literally) under wraps and I end up jumping into the 911
Old 05-13-2021, 02:33 AM
nevennett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by manifold danger
For a much quicker and easier validation if you have rear axle steering, post your VIN here: https://vinanalytics.com/
Unfortunately that doesn't work for non-US cars
Old 05-13-2021, 02:46 AM
nevennett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jchasty
Being fortunate to own both at the same time - I agree....the R8 stays (literally) under wraps and I end up jumping into the 911
Wow, that's very fortunate. And the R8 is a RWS... is it hard to get the power down?

I find it hard to give anything more than about half throttle inn first or second in the GTS even in the dry, or I lose traction. It's got P zeros on and I'm not loving them. The R8 with AWD had almost limitless traction, especially with new PS4S's on.

Nick
Old 05-13-2021, 02:47 AM
nevennett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hurricane
No question, Sapphire Blue is a gorgeous color! (And discontinued on the 911 after 2018, except for possibly a future PTS.) My 2018 911 GTS:

That looks outrageously good. Well done on the wheels in particular. What tyres is it wearing?
Old 05-13-2021, 10:53 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by nevennett
That looks outrageously good. Well done on the wheels in particular. What tyres is it wearing?
Thanks! Forgeline FU3C's. I really liked their modern interpretation of the classic Fuchs wheels. They are a little more concave than the 50th anniversary wheels, a little more dramatic, and I like that.

OEM (for me, at least) were Pirelli P-Zeros but I changed last year to Michelin PS4's. Very happy with the Michelins.

Quick Reply: First Porsche, 991.2 GTS