Sponsored by:

Anybody here get caught speeding

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 07:55 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

This is too fresh at the moment......

2 weeks ago pulled over at night, I don' have plates on my car, it's registered but waiting for custom plates. Cop says he pulled me over for no plate and speeding, the problem is I wasn't speeding. Told him I apologize, don't mean to give him a hard time but I knew I wasn't speeding and he turned around and went back to the car to write up the ticket.

I turned on my phone and started recording the conversation from thereon. He gets back says I was doing 59 in a 45 but he was writing it for 49 in a 45, I again brought up I wasn't speeding and he say's "yeah I know that's why I wrote you for only going 49"

WTF??? I didn't say a word and let him move on to ruin another person night. So now I've got to spend time in my day to fight this thing in court. I have a radar detector too and the thing never went off, so I know the point of him pulling me over was never about the speed but more about not having the plate.

Not sure if saying in court that my radar detector didn't go off is a good idea, anyone every done that?
Old 04-27-2021, 08:55 PM
Arxigos
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

You guys are all pretty much on the money. Only point I'd like to add is that at the end of the day, you are at the mercy of the individual officer's personality. I only pull people going 15+ over the speed limit. Unless you're driving like a total a$$. And when I do pull someone over 99% of the time I already decided to write the ticket as soon as i saw you. Unless you have an amazing excuse.

As far as the drinks question. If you're drunk, yo7nshould be driving. If you only had a couple, it doesn't matter what you say, you're safe..

***to bigswole. Shame on you for $hitting on "fake" officer's who only write tickets and dont catch "real criminals". Bigger cities have officer's assigned specifically for traffic violations...and there's a point to this. It lowers the mileage death rate..not all heros wear capes 😉
Old 04-27-2021, 09:18 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 121 Posts

This is a good watch for anyone with an extra 15 minutes:
And a 2019 follow up:

Basically: Not all speed limits are appropriate. Not all ticketing efforts are appropriate. Most people travel at a speed they think is appropriate given the road and its conditions, as well as the capabilities of their car. These factors have changed immensely over time, but the sign posts haven’t always kept up.

Last edited by Jeahbladejeah; 04-27-2021 at 11:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Beezupra (04-29-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 09:35 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 291 Posts

Hey Big -thanks for your perspective. I realize in Jersey things are generally more expensive, so go the salaries. Does there have to be PC in order for the officer to ask "have you had anything (alcoholic) to drink tonight" or is there a real gray interpretation of PC in a traffic stop (again realizing states may differ on that protocol)? Next time I see my nephew who is an officer, I'll ask him as well.

BTW you must've married very well to able to afford that Turbo and Ferrari in you driveway on $60k + $25-35k. Appreciate your candidness.
Big Swole (04-28-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 10:09 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Watson
What is your 911? Seems like he was very impressed with the handling of your 911 :-D
'04 Anniversary Carrera - - lowered on PSS10's and H & R sways
Old 04-28-2021, 01:03 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Arxigos
***to bigswole. Shame on you for $hitting on "fake" officer's who only write tickets and dont catch "real criminals". Bigger cities have officer's assigned specifically for traffic violations...and there's a point to this. It lowers the mileage death rate..not all heros wear capes 😉

Can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not. However I did not crap on traffic officers I just know that there are some in uniform patrol that spend most of their time running traffic instead of backing their zone partner up and answering their share of calls. We also have a step unit devoted to traffic and DUI enforcement.

I am in special operations and one of the lead firearms instructor so I don’t do the day-to-day stuff as much anymore. I know it takes every single unit to make a team to keep the community safe in every way.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:14 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
Hey Big -thanks for your perspective. I realize in Jersey things are generally more expensive, so go the salaries. Does there have to be PC in order for the officer to ask "have you had anything (alcoholic) to drink tonight" or is there a real gray interpretation of PC in a traffic stop (again realizing states may differ on that protocol)? Next time I see my nephew who is an officer, I'll ask him as well.

BTW you must've married very well to able to afford that Turbo and Ferrari in you driveway on $60k + $25-35k. Appreciate your candidness.

There only has to be legal PC for the stop itself. You are not compelled to answer any questions if you do not wish. An Officer can ask you anything he wants but that does not mean you have to answer. Now this is a slippery slope because there are officers that will get mad and can use the PC for the stop if they see you driving unsafe and suspect you of DUI, that may still place you in custody if they smell the odor of alcohol and can articulate how you were driving. As the old saying goes, you may be the wrap but you can’t beat the ride.

Make no mistake, I’m not trying to teach people how to get out of a DUI. I think people who jeopardize others lives while driving impaired are horrible. I just got hit by a DUI driver that was a multi time DUI three weeks ago in my truck. Luckily he did not do too much damage but I’m fighting with his insurance company now as to whether they are going to cover things given it’s his second DUI in less than a month.

As for my financial stuff with my cars, i’m actually not married and my girlfriend makes less than I do. I’ve just done a very good job of saving and staying debt-free except for my two homes, one is a rental, and using equity from my current home to pay off a couple of vehicles after a refinance. I did very well buying a house that went way up in value the last few years.

The Ferrari was a temporary thing that I invested in because I had a feeling I could make a little money on it. I just sold it a week ago on bring a trailer auction and did pretty well.

Last edited by Big Swole; 04-28-2021 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:05 AM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 291 Posts

Kudos to you Big. I follow the Bring a Trailer on the 997 forum and you are the No 1 Champeen there. You know your numbers/have the acumen so no wonder you are able to swing those nice rides. I get the slippery slope stuff, best off with Uber / Lyft / a DD or worse case a very moderate imbibe if no choice. These cars are just too tempting to push a little and I just have a manual base '05 997 C2 since new (and am still in love) can't imagine the temptation with the newer / turbos.
Big Swole (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 08:22 AM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmorritt
The question should be. Has anyone Not got stopped for speeding. 113 mph> meh.
On my motorcycle, 129 in a 65. Stopped by a GA state trooper in '07. Didn't go to jail or have my bike impounded. $420 out the door in court and no points on my license. They only wanted the money, of course.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:25 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

They did not also want safer travel?
The following 2 users liked this post by Gary JR:
Big Swole (04-28-2021), Explorer16 (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 08:31 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 422 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Why would you waste a day in court

Thats what you pay the lawyer for. You presence is not required and in my view hurts your case. Just be as forgettable as possible and after 3 continuances the cop won't even remember who he was trying to punish. Sometimes you can also negotiate directly with clerk and no lawyer like in NC (on the phone).

Originally Posted by uphoto
This is too fresh at the moment......

2 weeks ago pulled over at night, I don' have plates on my car, it's registered but waiting for custom plates. Cop says he pulled me over for no plate and speeding, the problem is I wasn't speeding. Told him I apologize, don't mean to give him a hard time but I knew I wasn't speeding and he turned around and went back to the car to write up the ticket.

I turned on my phone and started recording the conversation from thereon. He gets back says I was doing 59 in a 45 but he was writing it for 49 in a 45, I again brought up I wasn't speeding and he say's "yeah I know that's why I wrote you for only going 49"

WTF??? I didn't say a word and let him move on to ruin another person night. So now I've got to spend time in my day to fight this thing in court. I have a radar detector too and the thing never went off, so I know the point of him pulling me over was never about the speed but more about not having the plate.

Not sure if saying in court that my radar detector didn't go off is a good idea, anyone every done that?
Old 04-28-2021, 08:52 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,181 Likes on 709 Posts

Been there, done that. Being nice and respectful, and asking for a warning, did nothing for me. Oh well. The cop was a hard *** and not very friendly or nice. That ticket cost me close to $1000. Even with a lawyer.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:06 AM
Arxigos
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not. However I did not crap on traffic officers I just know that there are some in uniform patrol that spend most of their time running traffic instead of backing their zone partner up and answering their share of calls. We also have a step unit devoted to traffic and DUI enforcement.

I am in special operations and one of the lead firearms instructor so I don’t do the day-to-day stuff as much anymore. I know it takes every single unit to make a team to keep the community safe in every way.
it's all good, I was being sarcastic. We all have those beat partners that do the bare minimum.

I myself am off the road now after a decade on patrol. Nice easy desk job.im sure my Wife appreciates it, especially during these crazy times.
Big Swole (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 02:29 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 160 Posts

some non legal free advice, always demand a court hearing, never admit to anything, if the cop shows approach the prosecutor and try to plea bargain the case to a no point careless driving charge. I did this once via mail on a ticket I received in TX, I'm in FLA. for the most part they just want their money and don't care about assessing the points.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:31 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 160 Posts

I got stopped for the first time in many years 2 days into having my Taycan, 95 in a 45, fortunately he liked the car and let me go
KWP1911 (04-29-2021)

Quick Reply: Anybody here get caught speeding