Sponsored by:

Changing to my summer wheels and...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 01:43 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,113 Likes on 1,318 Posts
Default Changing to my summer wheels and...

edit, because people continue to miss the point - this is not about the rust present on the hub. It's about the water, which sure has the side effect of causing rust but who cares about some surface rust on a brake component, why is water staying there?

... one of the rears seems to have been holding water in the hub area.

Bizarre. The other rear was dry, as were the fronts. The spacer on this hub had a solid ring of rust residue, whereas the other side didn't, indicating that this side in particular is far less sealed than the other.

What do y'all make of this? Gonna be doing my 60k in a couple weeks and will be taking things a bit more apart for inspection.

Last edited by asellus; 04-22-2021 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:06 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
... one of the rears seems to have been holding water in the hub area.

Bizarre. The other rear was dry, as were the fronts. The spacer on this hub had a solid ring of rust residue, whereas the other side didn't, indicating that this side in particular is far less sealed than the other.

What do y'all make of this? Gonna be doing my 60k in a couple weeks and will be taking things a bit more apart for inspection.

I think it is very common. My 2017 991.2 C4S shows the same thing when wheels are removed. My tire installer removed some of the rust with a wire brush and applied a little grease/never seize on the brushed hub wheel guides. BTW...my car only has 13-14k miles on it.

Last edited by mc3456; 04-18-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:14 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mc3456
I think it is very common. My 2017 991.2 C4S shows the same thing when wheels are removed. My tire installer removed some of the rust with a wire brush and applied a little grease/never seize on the brushed hub wheel guides. BTW...my car only has 13-14k miles on it.
What's weird though is it's only this one corner doing this on my '17.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:52 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

I understand. It think it may be all 4 of my hubs, but pretty certain the guy who owned the car before me drove through the car wash as the inside lip of both rear wheels were all scraped up until I had them professionally fixed and powder-coated. Not sure why they rust so easily, but suspect it is from harsh wheel cleaning solutions or road salt. I bought my car with 7,400 miles on it last June and only hand wash it with very gentle soaps, and avoid car washes/driving in sloppy conditions. With that said, I think it is only surface rust and not dangerous.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:02 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'm not worried about the rust or anything like that. This is a daily, year-round, in Minnesota. It's just odd to me that only one wheel captures water like this.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:18 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Agree, looks like crap. Not sure why Porsche can use different material or coat them.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:12 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

What's weird though is it's only this one corner doing this on my '17.
Which rear has the rust...passenger’s side? That is what I’d imagine to be the case as the center caps have 2 holes to remove them...AND...let water in. The right side probably gets more wet on the partially wet edge of drying roads and the rears kind of stick out further thereby getting more moisture sprayed onto them, or at least that’s how my C4S seems to be after driving on a semi-wet road (i.e. day after rain storm or early Spring). Anyway, it is kind of odd that Porsche does not account for that possibility.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:58 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

YOU TAKE YOUR CAR OUT OF THE GARAGE?? Great Merciful Heavens! It might DISSOLVE!?!!?
Old 04-18-2021, 10:29 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mc3456
Which rear has the rust...passenger’s side? That is what I’d imagine to be the case as the center caps have 2 holes to remove them...AND...let water in. The right side probably gets more wet on the partially wet edge of drying roads and the rears kind of stick out further thereby getting more moisture sprayed onto them, or at least that’s how my C4S seems to be after driving on a semi-wet road (i.e. day after rain storm or early Spring). Anyway, it is kind of odd that Porsche does not account for that possibility.
Nope, driver's side!

Forgot about the holes in the center caps. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong -- ingress is normal, it's the egress that's problematic!

Originally Posted by tgavem
Agree, looks like crap. Not sure why Porsche can use different material or coat them.
Not sure I'd be willing to pay the premium for having axle threads made of a material that can handle those torque values whilst resisting corrosion, personally.
Originally Posted by fpb111
YOU TAKE YOUR CAR OUT OF THE GARAGE?? Great Merciful Heavens! It might DISSOLVE!?!!?
Whoa whoa, pump the brakes. I'm supposed to leave it in my garage? I have definitely missed this memo.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:59 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

It's fine and normal, just surface rust. If it really bothers you, take a wire brush to it with some rust remover. Then just shoot it with some high temp clear.
You don't need a ton of water in there to create rust, it's the water with the heat of the brakes/engine that make happen quickly.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:08 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
It's fine and normal, just surface rust. If it really bothers you, take a wire brush to it with some rust remover. Then just shoot it with some high temp clear.
You don't need a ton of water in there to create rust, it's the water with the heat of the brakes/engine that make happen quickly.
The weird thing isn't the rust. I live in Minnesota, I'm well acquainted. It's the fact that just one corner was holding water. I'd expect all of them or none of them. What's special about the left rear?
Old 04-20-2021, 11:06 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

The weird thing isn't the rust. I live in Minnesota, I'm well acquainted. It's the fact that just one corner was holding water. I'd expect all of them or none of them. What's special about the left rear?
I'm guessing that the other 3 will catch up soon enough.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:18 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Southbranch
I'm guessing that the other 3 will catch up soon enough.
Catch up to.. holding water...?

Again, this isn't about the rust.

Just in case people miss it again, this isn't about the rust.

It's about the water that, for whatever reason, got in there and stayed in there, instead of not getting in there in the first place or not evacuating itself after getting in there.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:21 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

Water is retained because you wash your car and do not drive it right after to allow the centrifugal force to expel water from the hub. Do you use a power washer? If so, try using the hose's pressure instead.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:40 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

Absolutely normal. Not a materials defect.

The hub/wheel cannot be sealed from water infiltration.

I believe that Porsche automobiles can be safely driven in - horrors of horrors - rain and even....snow. They even equip them with little rubber thingies that push water off that glass thing that connects the roof with the frunk.

Then again, you should remove all wheels after water exposure and dry with cashmere cloths.

Steel rusts and what you are seeing is surface rust. Sure, Porsche could make these babies out of titanium - in fact the whole car could be made out of Ti and cost as much as a nuclear submarine.

Last edited by rnl; 04-22-2021 at 07:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Changing to my summer wheels and...