Sponsored by:

3 dimple/scratch damage in rims from tire change

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 10:48 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by mvanders
To clarify a few things. The assumptions that this was done on the cheap is incorrect. It was $55/wheel. The other assumption that it was done by a shoddy garage is also incorrect. This place has all 5 star "Top rated" on TireRack and has 400+ mentions/recommendations on this board. I bet that there are a lot of people on this board with the same marks on your rims but have no idea. Just like the owner said to me "you wont see them when the tire is on the car".
So, do you see them with the tire on the car? If you don't, no big deal to me.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:50 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 532 Posts

^^^^^^^ This
Old 04-10-2021, 03:04 PM
gskv
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

just a crappy technician. my buddy's got an older tire machine in his garage and he changes my tires by hand and only a single arm on the machine. never a ding in last 15 years.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:44 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Fr3nch
My dealer also charges $50/wheel. That includes a loaner car or and Uber to and from the dealership. Plus they have the best balancing machine out there. Plus they don’t **** things up. That is a bargain considering these wheels are $1k+ each.

I called around to other shops. The reputable Indy here charges $60/wheel and that’s on an old machine.

Normal tire places charge $20-30 a wheel. That is a lot of risk for only saving $100.

Granted I am lucky with my dealer here, but They are good value. I totally disagree with the Porsche tax sentiment. You can’t pay someone bottom dollar and expect the job to be perfect. You get what you pay for.
Would have to disagree about "dealer" does the best job in the world. Porsche dealers are used to working on Macans, not 911's.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:50 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

It was a location recommended by tirerack where I bought the tires. It is also a shop which I believe is highly recommended on this board as all they deal with are Porsches. I just want to figure out what the best solution is to the problem. If this is totally normal and acceptable that is one thing. If my rims shouldn't have damage then they will need to deal with it.
I would suggest that you don't ever take it to a place recommended by Tire Rack. If you are in the driving circle in your area, you should know which is the good shop in town, with the careful technicians. If not, go to the local "cars and coffee" and inquire. If you take the wheels in already off the car, you will get better attention, and the tire place won't f*^% up the panels on the undercarriage of your car.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:38 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I've always used my local Porsche dealer. Never any problems. I tell them upfront that the wheels are like new. We do a walk around and they agree. I tell them I expect them returned the same way.

They match or beat TireRack prices, and installation cost is comparable to the local shops that don't know what they're doing.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:02 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 285 Posts

Stuff happens and nothing is ever perfect. With products or labor. Marks like that can just as easily occur from rocks. Being on the inside it's not something I would be concerned with. Despite it being caused by a paid job, but that's just me.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:36 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Total non-issue here, you can't see it! Lighten up.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:41 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

I had my tires changed today and afterwards noticed each rim had 4 sets of 3 dimples/scratches in the metal. When I asked the owner about them he said that he has the best machine and how else would the machine be able to hold the rim without making a mark. Then said it was on the inside so nobody would ever see them. I would not have noticed except I dropped the rims off without the car attached and was kind of surprised that they were dirtier, with grease smudges and glue. In addition when they took off some of the old wheel weights, they left the glue which made it seem like a rush job. What is normal and am I overreacting?

On the one hand, it was somewhat careless of the tire shop. . . .
on the other hand, maybe you should be flogged for not driving your car more, because if your wheels are in that good of shape, you mustn't drive the car the way it was meant to be driven!
Old 04-10-2021, 10:59 PM
2-Rotor
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
Would have to disagree about "dealer" does the best job in the world. Porsche dealers are used to working on Macans, not 911's.
How true this statement is. Its seems as time goes on this apparently is getting worse.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:02 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just seems like no place can put tires on without doing some sort of damage. I've even tried the dealer and there is always something.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:04 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 453 Likes on 305 Posts

Back in the day...(when I drove BMW's) I took my 19 inch wheels to my local indy to replace the rear tires. His machine would only handle up to 18 inch wheels. However, if he removed the rubber protectors(?) and exposed the steel below it would fit the19's. The three little dots around the rim were the result. As he advised me in advance I was okay with that. As far as I know, he and I were the only ones that ever knew.

Quick Reply: 3 dimple/scratch damage in rims from tire change