Sponsored by:

3 dimple/scratch damage in rims from tire change

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 06:07 PM
mvanders
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 dimple/scratch damage in rims from tire change

I had my tires changed today and afterwards noticed each rim had 4 sets of 3 dimples/scratches in the metal. When I asked the owner about them he said that he has the best machine and how else would the machine be able to hold the rim without making a mark. Then said it was on the inside so nobody would ever see them. I would not have noticed except I dropped the rims off without the car attached and was kind of surprised that they were dirtier, with grease smudges and glue. In addition when they took off some of the old wheel weights, they left the glue which made it seem like a rush job. What is normal and am I overreacting?

Old 04-09-2021, 06:10 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Garbage job and he should have insurance to deal with these kind of mess-ups.

The machine should have non-marring sacrificial pads on the fingers of the machine. Usually HDPE or something similar.

His response is crap. I'd ask for him to pay for refinishing the wheels, because now that's a point where corrosion can start and the rest of the paint can begin chipping away from.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:16 PM
golfbrah
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somewhat overreacting and it sucks, but consider it a lesson. Next time find a reputable shop that does touchless (and be prepared to pay up) or ask a lot of questions beforehand + confirm original condition.
The following users liked this post:
dsddcd (04-10-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 06:23 PM
mvanders
3rd Gear

It was a location recommended by tirerack where I bought the tires. It is also a shop which I believe is highly recommended on this board as all they deal with are Porsches. I just want to figure out what the best solution is to the problem. If this is totally normal and acceptable that is one thing. If my rims shouldn't have damage then they will need to deal with it.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:39 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts

Definitely not normal.

Speak with the manager.
mvanders (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 06:49 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

Not normal. Not acceptable. Not overreacting.

I just had new tires installed this week at the local Porsche dealer. Did I pay too much for the privilege? Yep.

But the wheels aren't marred, and the old weights and glue have been removed (after I went back a second time).

Life lesson.

DaveGee

Guards_Red_991 (04-11-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 08:52 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

I have seen the dimples before. I am not sure I would refinish but they did not have to be there.

Based on the wheel weights they rushed.

All of these places are bad.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:55 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

Depends on how you define "normal". When I get my other cars' tires changed at Tires Plus, they all come back with those little divots. The manager admitted it was from the machine that holds the wheel in place, and I accepted that explanation. On old wheels, you can barely see them. Then after I bought my 911, I asked the manager at the dealership if I should expect the same marks. He said nope, they use "touchless" tire removal so the rim is never touched. I didn't understand it, but he was right, no rim marks. I still take my other cars to Tires Plus and get the rims gouged, and the Pcar to the dealer, no gouges.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:05 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 556 Likes on 336 Posts

I’ve had the misfortune to lose 3 tires to nails on my 911 in 15k miles.

Also had the crappy experience of rim damage from the national tire dealers.

All 3 tires were replaced at the dealer, no damage.

Sometimes you do pay extra for good service.

Rims will get damaged and road rash from being driven. In time they will get a re-finish.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:42 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

Not acceptable.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:11 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Not normal. Not acceptable. Not overreacting.

I just had new tires installed this week at the local Porsche dealer. Did I pay too much for the privilege? Yep.

But the wheels aren't marred, and the old weights and glue have been removed (after I went back a second time).

Life lesson.

DaveGee
+1. Dealer does my rubber every time. I pay about $50 per corner in Porsche tax for the privilege versus the discount guys. Worth every penny for the peace of mind that they will probably not screw it up, and if they do it’s on them with no argument.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:25 AM
GONEIN10
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

improper use of their machine. Those marks are caused by using the inside grab paws of the tire change machine which are typically used on steel rims. They should have used the rim clamp instead.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:10 AM
Fr3nch
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

My dealer also charges $50/wheel. That includes a loaner car or and Uber to and from the dealership. Plus they have the best balancing machine out there. Plus they don’t **** things up. That is a bargain considering these wheels are $1k+ each.

I called around to other shops. The reputable Indy here charges $60/wheel and that’s on an old machine.

Normal tire places charge $20-30 a wheel. That is a lot of risk for only saving $100.

Granted I am lucky with my dealer here, but They are good value. I totally disagree with the Porsche tax sentiment. You can’t pay someone bottom dollar and expect the job to be perfect. You get what you pay for.
myred63 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 07:46 AM
1Restorick
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I recommend ASAP Tire and the mobile install from the Tire Rack. They have top of the line no touch Hunter Tire Machines on the truck. I just had some 40 series tires installed on aftermarket wheels for my truck and they did not make one single mark. They also have the black stick on weights.

Rick
Old 04-10-2021, 10:37 AM
mvanders
3rd Gear

To clarify a few things. The assumptions that this was done on the cheap is incorrect. It was $55/wheel. The other assumption that it was done by a shoddy garage is also incorrect. This place has all 5 star "Top rated" on TireRack and has 400+ mentions/recommendations on this board. I bet that there are a lot of people on this board with the same marks on your rims but have no idea. Just like the owner said to me "you wont see them when the tire is on the car".

Quick Reply: 3 dimple/scratch damage in rims from tire change