Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021 | 01:49 PM
Jrbreeland
Intermediate

Default PPI question

Hello. I’m about to buy a used 991 with 20k miles from a Porsche dealer and they performed the PPI on it. I feel it’s a slight conflict of interest but also trust the dealer wants to protect their reputation.
Are there any specific question I should ask re: the PPI. Things like test results, specs, etc?

Many thanks.
Old 04-08-2021 | 08:32 PM
Fr3nch
Instructor

I had a Porsche dealer perform a "PPI" that was nothing more than the half-assed maintenance inspection they do on every car that comes in for service. Windshield wipers and stuff. They kept claiming it was their official PPI, which is bull****. I found out later that dealers have an official intensive PPI that is done on the CPO cars. I had the car PPI'ed at a local independent mechanic that did a good job.

I expected Porsche dealers to be on a higher level when it comes to professionalism and service, but that just isnt true. Despite their attitudes, they are still just salesmen. They are no different than the used car dealer down the street. This dealer I was forced to buy from was nothing but problems and just total trash in general.

Porsche dealers can charge more for CPO cars, so if the car is healthy enough to pass the CPO inspection, they will CPO it. If a car isnt a CPO, the dealer is business-stupid (which is possible) or the car isnt up to CPO standards. Could be that there is something wrong with the car or that replacing things would cost more than the additional CPO profits.

In your case, I would say its a HUGE conflict of interest (not a slight one) and would have the car PPI'ed at an good independent Porsche shop. Mine cost about $500 and was money well spent.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche_nuts (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021 | 08:40 PM
LexVan
Banned

Manual or PDK?

If manual, get a DME report.
Old 04-08-2021 | 08:56 PM
Carrera991
Racer

Ask the dealership to take the car to an independent PPI.
Old 04-08-2021 | 09:28 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrbreeland
Hello. I’m about to buy a used 991 with 20k miles from a Porsche dealer and they performed the PPI on it. I feel it’s a slight conflict of interest but also trust the dealer wants to protect their reputation.
Are there any specific question I should ask re: the PPI. Things like test results, specs, etc?

Many thanks.
I bought a CPO car from a dealership, which went through the official 111 point inspection process, and all of the parts were missing from the front trunk compartments, and the brakes rotors were at/past the wear limit. That said, it's an awesome car!
Old 04-08-2021 | 11:46 PM
CayenneBlack
Racer

I would ask for paint measurements on all panels. Painted panels means there was an accident.
Old 04-09-2021 | 12:00 AM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CayenneBlack
I would ask for paint measurements on all panels. Painted panels means there was an accident.
Possibly, but not necessarily: I filled license plate holes in the front bumper, and had it painted over; alternatively, one could also have been in an accident, then buy a new panel (front or rear), and have it painted to Porsche specs, and measurements wouldn't reveal any anomalies.
Old 04-09-2021 | 11:38 AM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WP0
Possibly, but not necessarily: I filled license plate holes in the front bumper, and had it painted over; alternatively, one could also have been in an accident, then buy a new panel (front or rear), and have it painted to Porsche specs, and measurements wouldn't reveal any anomalies.
You can't measure paint on the bumpers, only on metal.

Quick Reply: PPI question