Sponsored by:

991.2 rear camera not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 08:33 AM
Adamtensta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 991.2 rear camera not working

Hey, I just discovered on my 991.2 after owning it for a year that it actually has a rear camera... I know... But it has never turned on, only the sensors. Anyone know what the issue could be?
Old 04-04-2021, 09:06 AM
verrucktaxe
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

my 991 had the hole, but no camera. when i installed the navtv system to install my FLIR on it, i got a backup cam with it. It should come on when you put it in reverse. If the screen isn't changing from infotainment to a dark screen or something, then something's wrong with that circuit. if your backup sensors work...maybe they're always on and the trigger for reverse switch is bad. In reverse in my garage, i'll get front sensors beeping too when i get too close to the garage, so full time sensor operation seems right. If the screen isn't changing though in reverse, it's related to that trigger.

if the screen does change while reversing, but no image, then it's either a power to the cam or video signal coming from it. i don't know how the factory one was routed, only how i had to thread mine through from the dash to the rear of the car.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:29 AM
Adamtensta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by verrucktaxe
my 991 had the hole, but no camera. when i installed the navtv system to install my FLIR on it, i got a backup cam with it. It should come on when you put it in reverse. If the screen isn't changing from infotainment to a dark screen or something, then something's wrong with that circuit. if your backup sensors work...maybe they're always on and the trigger for reverse switch is bad. In reverse in my garage, i'll get front sensors beeping too when i get too close to the garage, so full time sensor operation seems right. If the screen isn't changing though in reverse, it's related to that trigger.

if the screen does change while reversing, but no image, then it's either a power to the cam or video signal coming from it. i don't know how the factory one was routed, only how i had to thread mine through from the dash to the rear of the car.
Thanks for your response. In reverse it triggers the sensors, front and back. It's just as if a camera doesn't exist on the car. Will need to find the circuit board and check if that one is broken.

Funny I've never noticed the cam before. I just assumed it didn't have camera, though it said in the ad it had a camera, I just assumed they miswrote
Thanks
Old 04-04-2021, 10:52 AM
verrucktaxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adamtensta
Thanks for your response. In reverse it triggers the sensors, front and back. It's just as if a camera doesn't exist on the car. Will need to find the circuit board and check if that one is broken.

Funny I've never noticed the cam before. I just assumed it didn't have camera, though it said in the ad it had a camera, I just assumed they miswrote
Thanks
i was surprised mine didn't have one, but the hole was drilled for it, so at least i didn't have to cut the body to install, just drill a hole in the firewall.

are you saying that if you're in drive, your front sensors (and rear) don't beep at you? i'm 99% sure as i'm playing tetris in the garage, i get sensor alerts in both forward and reverse on both front and rear sensors. if yours only work in reverse, that may be an indicator to the problem?
Old 04-04-2021, 11:34 AM
Adamtensta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by verrucktaxe
i was surprised mine didn't have one, but the hole was drilled for it, so at least i didn't have to cut the body to install, just drill a hole in the firewall.

are you saying that if you're in drive, your front sensors (and rear) don't beep at you? i'm 99% sure as i'm playing tetris in the garage, i get sensor alerts in both forward and reverse on both front and rear sensors. if yours only work in reverse, that may be an indicator to the problem?
No no, my sensors goes on automatically and starts to beep. What I meant was that when I hit reverse gear, the screen flips and shows my car and the sensors, but no cam
Old 04-04-2021, 11:38 AM
verrucktaxe
Rennlist Member

No no, my sensors goes on automatically and starts to beep. What I meant was that when I hit reverse gear, the screen flips and shows my car and the sensors, but no cam
oh, ok, that's much different and makes more sense. Sounds like you either have a wiring issue in power to the camera or video signal or a faulty camera. if you have any way to try a different camera, that would be easier than chasing wires. depends on if you have more disposable time or $ at this point. It could unfortunately be in the head unit not registering the vid signal either, but my guess is wiring or the camera.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:22 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 353 Posts

Hey, I just discovered on my 991.2 after owning it for a year that it actually has a rear camera... I know... But it has never turned on, only the sensors. Anyone know what the issue could be?
Rearview Cameras have been Mandatory in the US as of 2014 as far as I understand so I believe yes... Are you under warranty? According to the video there is a button on the overhead console that turns the system off/on. It may be for parking assistance or for the camera only, but I would try. Not sure....

Last edited by shammerman; 04-04-2021 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 01:32 PM
Adamtensta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shammerman
Rearview Cameras have been Mandatory in the US as of 2014 as far as I understand so I believe yes... Are you under warranty? According to the video there is a button on the overhead console that turns the system off/on. It may be for parking assistance or for the camera only, but I would try. Not sure....
I'm in Scandinavia, but it's a 2018 model so guessing the warranty has expired
Old 04-04-2021, 01:48 PM
Adamtensta
Intermediate

I checked the circuit board on passenger side. In the manual it says that a 5amp fuse should be on row D position 4. But it's empty...
Old 04-04-2021, 08:15 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 353 Posts

Hello from a Finn in the USA! You only get two year warranty, right (at least in Finland)? Four years, 50K miles here. Hope you find a fix!
Old 04-05-2021, 12:26 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 326 Posts

I checked the circuit board on passenger side. In the manual it says that a 5amp fuse should be on row D position 4. But it's empty...
The good to know manual for the 991.2, says it's the passenger side fuse panel, Row B position 3 -> PCM components (reversing camera, antenna amplifier, control unit display, tv tuner, usb hub, coupling antenna, card reader).

If the car has ever had the air filters replaced, there's a connector under the rear bumper to disconnect when you pull the bumper, You would want to confirm this is connected.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:40 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,126 Likes on 670 Posts

I would check the plugs on both the left and right side behind the tail lamps. Remove the lights and you will see them. One connector on the left, two on the right.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:23 AM
MikeL31
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

thats not accurate, my 991 is 2016 and doesn’t have one. On my wife’s 2018 5 series I had to pay for one as an option
Old 04-05-2021, 05:14 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 326 Posts

In the US rearview camera became mandatory in 2018.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:10 AM
Adamtensta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by polobai
I would check the plugs on both the left and right side behind the tail lamps. Remove the lights and you will see them. One connector on the left, two on the right.
Sorry, what should I look for?

Quick Reply: 991.2 rear camera not working