2nd year service, cost comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 04:06 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by crashedsnow
Hi folks,

I just got the bill: $1,636. This seems high, and elsewhere I've seen much lower numbers. This was through my local dealer and cited $278 for parts and $1,358 for labor. All they did was change the oil, filters and flush the brake lines.
Oh give them more credit. They also did important things like check your hood latch and honk your horn to make sure it works and turned on your headlights lol. Seriously I am not paying $200 an hour or more for that. When I pressured what was included in the two year service things like this and more were on the list.

Last time I was at the dealer with a P car for service I told them I wanted certain services done and other skipped (like spark plugs and air filters that were only 10K miles old). They happily did what I wanted but refused to reset the computer in the car.

My dealer is like $450+ for an oil change and about the same as you paid for the 2 year if I recall and like $3400 for the 4 year.

Old 03-30-2021, 04:36 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by hcamp19
Due to warranty concerns, I took mine to the dealer for it's 20k last year and the bill was $582.00. All work same as yours x I did my own cabin air filters to save some $ but probably only an hour of service cost. I now am doing all of my own maintenance as the car will be off warranty in one year.
You do not have to have your services done at a dealer to maintain your warranty. This is a law. The only advantage I can see is if you have a warranty claim that is in a grey area the dealer may not go to bat for you. I am big on having business relationships, but it’s hard when you feel one side ie the dealer is talking you to the cleaner.
The following 2 users liked this post by NHmacan:
Class5Kayaker (04-07-2021), RAGT4P (03-25-2023)
Old 03-30-2021, 05:08 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 643 Posts

My car just turned 2. I did have my dealer do the oil/filter in the Fall for $285 + tax. Will be doing my own from now on.
I did the frunk and cabin filters over winter myself. OEM stuff was (I think) around $50. Frunk was 2 minutes or less; cabin a bit of a PIA but if I can do it, literally anyone can.
I'll be changing the brake fluid in a few weeks when I put on the summer wheels and clean the wheel wells. 4 bottles of Motul RBF 660 cost me about $80 delivered. I did invest in a Schwaben pressure tank, etc, but it should last going forward. I haven't done the air filters yet, but it's not at all dusty where I drive and the car has 6800 miles. The next oil change will be #3.
Aside from the money saved, it's nice to spend some time with the car. Without this place and Youtube, I would have never acquired the confidence and step by step processes to do these things. Like I said above, if I can do it, just about anyone can.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:46 PM
Thruster
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had my 2-year service done last September. Car is a 991.2. I got quotes from 2 dealers here in Southern California. The first quoted $1,304. The second dealer, where I bought the car, quoted $1,330. Then I told them I wanted a quote to wrap the front of the car with PPF. When they heard this, they lowered the price for the 2-year service to $1,013.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:32 PM
hcamp19
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NHmacan
You do not have to have your services done at a dealer to maintain your warranty. This is a law. The only advantage I can see is if you have a warranty claim that is in a grey area the dealer may not go to bat for you. I am big on having business relationships, but it’s hard when you feel one side ie the dealer is talking you to the cleaner.

This is true although I believe it does vary from state to state. My concerns were due to being a newbie P car owner (warranty requirements) at the time and having the right tools and parts. In other words, it just seemed easier. I now use only OEM comparable/quality, keep all records and receipts and have full confidence that I am not going to put the warranty for an expensive car in jeopardy. AND, I can buy lots of good IPA beer with the $$ I am saving!
Old 04-01-2021, 06:52 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 303 Posts

CA tax. I paid 1k for the 2nd year service for my 18 C4S in NH at a dealership bordering MA (which is also like CA).
Old 04-02-2021, 03:31 AM
NF4710
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 118 Posts

Many of the Cali, NV, AZ dealers “price shop” each other. Told so by the local dealer. Sounds like price fixing to me. Very disappointed in the Porsche dealership experience out here. Compared to our prices I’d say you did ok for a dealer markup. If you have many dealers in your area shop around - it sounds like there may be a few decent ones left. Wish we had one here!

NM.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:27 AM
k_h_d
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Man, these up near and over $1000 need to go elsewhere. I was quoted $720 for the 2 year. I declined the cabin and frunk filter which brought the oil change and brake flush to about $500.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:35 AM
Colvin84
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by crashedsnow
Hi folks,

I just took my 991.2 in for a service which was promoted in the vehicle (notice saying it was due for service). The car is 2 years old, and has done 9,500 miles. The service done was a 20K mile service, which is apparently "correct" because they treat it as annual, or a number of miles (10K per year)

I just got the bill: $1,636. This seems high, and elsewhere I've seen much lower numbers. This was through my local dealer and cited $278 for parts and $1,358 for labor. All they did was change the oil, filters and flush the brake lines.

They did call me before the service to confirm the amount, but it was only after I read the invoice that I realized just how little they actually did.

Anyone else have an intuition as to just how much I was taken to the cleaners?
The cost and time savings is why I DYI all the basics. For the price you paid in labor, you can buy just about every tool you need to ever work on your car - not to mention saving time driving to dealer and waiting or making other arrangements. All depends on your comfort level and abilities, but oil change and brake flush are very easy. There are various DYI guides on here. For brakes, people use different tools - I bought a vacuum fluid changer and it’s fantastic and works on all my cars - permitting a one man brake fluid change, power steering flush, etc.

Carfax makes an app called Car Care that lets you track all your DYI service and upload any receipts if desired. I use this to keep a record of service. You can also add any notes for you or potential future buyers. It also shows all dealer service.

Last edited by Colvin84; 04-02-2021 at 07:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 08:45 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Many of the Cali, NV, AZ dealers “price shop” each other. Told so by the local dealer.
They do this for new car sales and service.

Quick Reply: 2nd year service, cost comparison