2nd year service, cost comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 09:37 PM
crashedsnow
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2nd year service, cost comparison

Hi folks,

I just took my 991.2 in for a service which was promoted in the vehicle (notice saying it was due for service). The car is 2 years old, and has done 9,500 miles. The service done was a 20K mile service, which is apparently "correct" because they treat it as annual, or a number of miles (10K per year)

I just got the bill: $1,636. This seems high, and elsewhere I've seen much lower numbers. This was through my local dealer and cited $278 for parts and $1,358 for labor. All they did was change the oil, filters and flush the brake lines.

They did call me before the service to confirm the amount, but it was only after I read the invoice that I realized just how little they actually did.

Anyone else have an intuition as to just how much I was taken to the cleaners?

Old 03-29-2021, 09:49 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 479 Posts

Well...look on the bright side.

You have new brake fluid. That's good, and was done on time, per the factory interval. You have new filters for the cabin and frunk. Your air should smell cleaner now. And a fresh oil filter and oil. Your car was inspected by a Porsche-certified technician, and if there had been anything amiss, it would have been noted in the report (I assume nothing was amiss.)

Yes, you paid the dealer price. If the car is still under warranty (it is) then that's worth something to have the work done at the dealer. For some, it is the only option, due to location, or personal ability, or time / space / tools to do these services DIY. Some people just don't want to mess with their cars.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Edit to add: The answer to your questions "for me" is way over $1,358. I do all my own routine service, so my labor is free. The two filters are cheap to buy online and an easy DIY ($66.29), as is the oil and filter change ($89.00). The brake fluid is easy, but for my 30K service, I left it to the dealer ($193) because I sold my Motive Bleeder and haven't bought a new one for the 991.2.

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 03-29-2021 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:51 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

With my 981 I did the 2year/20k service at 12k miles. It was annoying since most of their services are really mileage wear items but forcibly done by time to help the dealers. cost was about the same as you experienced.

By the time the car was 4 years old it had 25k miles or so. I picked and chose the services I wanted and did some of the stuff myself . Their quote was 3400 for the 4 year service if I recall.

For my 991.2 I just service myself.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:53 PM
crashedsnow
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. I'm happy to have the car serviced at the dealer, I was just trying to gauge if THIS dealer specifically was within the "normal" range. My lawyer charges less per hour, but I take your point.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:56 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crashedsnow
Thanks. I'm happy to have the car serviced at the dealer, I was just trying to gauge if THIS dealer specifically was within the "normal" range. My lawyer charges less per hour, but I take your point.
My dealer (Tampa FL) charges $200 an hour. You can generally get an idea of labor costs flat rate by looking at the service items. I'd expect Cali to be pretty high.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:56 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Well...look on the bright side.

You have new brake fluid. That's good, and was done on time, per the factory interval. You have new filters for the cabin and frunk. Your air should smell cleaner now. And a fresh oil filter and oil. Your car was inspected by a Porsche-certified technician, and if there had been anything amiss, it would have been noted in the report (I assume nothing was amiss.)

Yes, you paid the dealer price. If the car is still under warranty (it is) then that's worth something to have the work done at the dealer. For some, it is the only option, due to location, or personal ability, or time / space / tools to do these services DIY. Some people just don't want to mess with their cars.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it.
If I light $100 bills on fire would you say at least I was keeping warm?
Old 03-29-2021, 10:01 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Personally, I would find a GOOD indi in your area and have them perform the annual maintenance and only use the dealer for warranty work. No need to flush money down the toilet.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:03 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by NHmacan
If I light $100 bills on fire would you say at least I was keeping warm?
Exactly. It is one thing to have a properly serviced car. It’s quite another to blindly service things that don’t need replacement.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:05 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Ok, so Mill Valley (your sig location) is in NorCal/SFO area. I doubt my dealer here in FL is in a comparable market as that, so my shop rate is probably not close.

I misunderstood your original question, I thought you wanted to know typical service costs including folks (like me) who DIY, perhaps to make a better decision next time, but it sounds like you are happy going to the dealer. Sorry.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:21 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 347 Posts

I just did mine at the dealer last week for $762.75.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:39 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Call the sheriff because you just got raped.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quadcammer:
CSK 911 C4S (03-30-2021), pjazz (03-31-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 04:56 AM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

I paid under $600 at dealer for 20k service however, I purchased and changed my own cabin and frunk filters.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:52 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 840 Likes on 421 Posts

Please don't give your service advisors a blank check.

They should have explained everything that was going to be done and the cost of the service so you could have those conversations with them and not us.

The following 2 users liked this post by CSK 911 C4S:
Rich_Jenkins (03-30-2021), Schorsch (04-02-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 03:32 PM
hcamp19
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi folks,

I just took my 991.2 in for a service which was promoted in the vehicle (notice saying it was due for service). The car is 2 years old, and has done 9,500 miles. The service done was a 20K mile service, which is apparently "correct" because they treat it as annual, or a number of miles (10K per year)

I just got the bill: $1,636. This seems high, and elsewhere I've seen much lower numbers. This was through my local dealer and cited $278 for parts and $1,358 for labor. All they did was change the oil, filters and flush the brake lines.

They did call me before the service to confirm the amount, but it was only after I read the invoice that I realized just how little they actually did.

Anyone else have an intuition as to just how much I was taken to the cleaners?

Due to warranty concerns, I took mine to the dealer for it's 20k last year and the bill was $582.00. All work same as yours x I did my own cabin air filters to save some $ but probably only an hour of service cost. I now am doing all of my own maintenance as the car will be off warranty in one year.

Old 03-30-2021, 03:58 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by hcamp19
Due to warranty concerns, I took mine to the dealer for it's 20k last year and the bill was $582.00. All work same as yours x I did my own cabin air filters to save some $ but probably only an hour of service cost. I now am doing all of my own maintenance as the car will be off warranty in one year.
Had similar costs for my 2 year / 20 k service.

Cheaper to run the Porsche than the MB or BMW.

Quick Reply: 2nd year service, cost comparison